• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does Your Ekkie Cry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Birds3Kids

Walking the driveway
We've been going through a rough time lately because our male ekkie has been in the hospital for a week. I'm running up quite a vet bill too which is a little stressful since we don't know if he's going to make it. He has not thrown up for the last 36 and just started eating on his own again this PM. Thank God!

I played with our female ekkie in a towel today which was a great distraction for both of us (she's really plucking with her companion missing). She loves being towelled after a bath and cries. She likes to be scratched when towelled, but not at any other time. Does anyone else's ekkie cry? Her paired mate HATES the towel.

Here's the video - she is especially vocal at the end:

YouTube - Lulu After Her Bath

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
aww she is gorgeous.......I dont know a thing about ekkies but she is probably missing her friend..sorryyour other ekkie is so ill...what is the problem?

CarmieJo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
Awww, she sounds soooo content with you rubbing her head. Howard lets our son wrap him in a towel after a shower but he doesn't like it if my hubby or I wrap him up. They are such funny guys!

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
I agree - I think she is very content.

I am so sorry to hear about your little boy. Prayers that all works out okay for him. Please keep us posted.

2Birds3Kids

Walking the driveway
I agree - I think she is very content.

I am so sorry to hear about your little boy. Prayers that all works out okay for him. Please keep us posted.
Thank you SO much for your prayers Kathie. We really need a miracle here. Teddy has not shown much improvement since he first entered the hospital. Since the anti-biotics and chelation are not showing results in recovery the vet said it more than likely that he has either cancer or PPD :) The other vet said it typically takes a bird 3 weeks to recover for illness.

We are bringing him home today. I have a hospital cage to keep him warm. He will go to the vet for a daily tetracylcine shot through Wed. He is lethargic, quiet, not eating well and still vomiting so please do pray. Thank you very much. God bless you.

jeb

Strolling the yard
What a difficult time. I hope that all works out.

Jeb

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Lulu sounds so cute and I love her peek-a-boo.

How is Teddy doing today? It just breaks our heart when they are sick. :hug5:

2Birds3Kids

Walking the driveway
Thank you for all of your well wishes. Teddy passed this afternoon in my daughter's arms as we left the vet's. He was unable to digest and pass his food the last two days.

I tamed Teddy myself so he was a very special bird to me. I was totally head over heals in love with him. He was a muscular strong bird and had life in his eyes and wanted to be perched on top til the very end. I woke up several times last night to check on him. I held him close to my chest wrapped in my sweater for a long time at the vet's today and I am glad he did not have to die in his cage alone.

I learned a lot from Teddy and have to say also that male ekkies are very charming birds. I hope to have another in Teddy's memory some day.

Grammy

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Pat
I'm so sorry to read about Teddy. He was lucky to have you for his companion and I'm sure he will always live in your memory as the beautiful strong creature that he was.

I'm glad that you and Lulu have each other for consolation. It's obvious from the video that you make her happy. Not sure if you can actually send good thoughts electronically, but if it's possible, I'm sending them to you.

Vega

Real Name
Joni
I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

2Birds3Kids

Walking the driveway
Thank you so much for your condolences. I spent so much $ on Teddy and his vet bills. If anyone knows anybody rehoming a male ekkie without a fee, in S. Cal. please let me know. Lulu is quite upset at his absence. She has become quite cuddly though. I wish I could explain to her why Teddy did not come home when we did yesterday and why he was sequestered in the bathroom for two days (a makeshift hospital room with a space heater to keep warm) after 8 days of abscence (his stay in the hospital).

I watched all the videos and pictures of him last night. I have a really cute picture of him, Lulu and our female 'tiel S'belle in the tub. If I can figure out a really easy way to post it, I will. It is so quiet without him here. He was the life of our party.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
If you email me the pic I can post it for you. :hug8:
mareeok@gmail.com

Are you familiar with Land of Vos? You might want to post your story there and ask about any ekkies available. They concentrate only on the Eclectus and appreciate ekkies parronts.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Here is a very sweet pic of Teddy with Lulu & S'Belle. He will be so missed by his siblings.

Attachments

CarmieJo

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
What an adorable picture!

Do check in at Land of Vos and their listserve The Eclectus Connection. I've been a member there for some time and I know that the group has facilitated several adoptions.

2Birds3Kids

Walking the driveway
Thank you, I am a member on Vos too. The adoption agency is also keeping me in mind for an AG b/c that was one of my choices when I got Teddy and Lulu. I really couldn't decide which I preferred. I just met T&L first!

I really do feel Lulu needs a bird companion. She has become much more cuddly, but she is on the hunt for Teddy, perching on top of her cage, crouched down with her head going to and fro in a wide sweep looking for him. I wish I could let her know that when we took him away he passed and that we didn't take him away and leave him somewhere or hurt him.

CarmieJo

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
Sometimes I think they understand more than we know. I would tell her what you just said and that he is waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

2Birds3Kids

Walking the driveway
Sometimes I think they understand more than we know. I would tell her what you just said and that he is waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.
Thanks Carmie, your Ekkie is beautiful. Is he a vos too? He reminds me of Teddy so much. Teddy was absolutely gorgeous - his feathers looked like velvet and he was the most beautiful flyer. I loved to see him fly. And he would say what Howard says too, "What a handsome boy I am. And look how macho I am when I fly!"

Blessings to you and Howard. ~Page

CarmieJo

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
The original family told us Howard is a RS but I have had several knowledgeable people ask if he is a Vos. The vet thinks he could be a cross.

Status
Not open for further replies.