• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does my female pacific parrotlet have a mutation?

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Pacific parrotlets have a blue back, and blue wings. Males have the little blue eye streak.

Is she a green rump?

greenmarshal

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
No shes a pacific parrotlet, but from what I heard they say the females do not get as much blue on their eyes and are supposed to have no blue on their rumpus. Websites say its rare for hens to have blue on their rumpus and I just wanted to know what other people think.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
She is probably of a subspecies known as lucida. Still a Pacific Parrotlet but a less common subspecies. The hens can have blue on the rump and eyes but still lack the blue flight feathers.

Sandy Molenda, long time parrotlet breeder used to have an article online but has retired and I guess taken the website down.

GracefulWolf

Meeting neighbors
It’s not rare for females to have blue rumps. But females never have blue in their wings. Only males have cobalt blue in their wings. Green rumps always have green rumps. The reason for the name lol. 379F3824-04B3-4F98-BC21-00639234C4A0.jpeg

Shyld

Meeting neighbors
There is a significant difference when its a male. They have A LOT of blue on their wings and that little doesnt make a difference. If she was a male, her primaries and secondaries would be very very blue and you could tell at a first glance. She is a normal green female pacific parrotlet (A very cute one also )