• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does being flighted help make the playing field more even?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
In my case, I'd say YES! Today I watched Emma flee away from Mabel.:lol:

For the last 9 months, Mabel has tolerated alot of guff from Emma because she couldn't fly or didn't know how to.

She can finally fly whenever she chooses or wants to. She no longer cowers away in fear of Emma hovering over her in mid air. What makes me even happier is that she is now exercising that natural ability.

Emma has a healthier fear of Mabel now.:D

Last edited:

tippa

Walking the driveway
It's great isn't it watching them flapping their wings flying about. My Conures sometimes does a flight frenzy, it feel like I got a whirlwind in my room :hehe:. Nice to hear about Emma fleeing from Marbel, sounds like fun and funny :D

impala400

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Yvonne
:hehe: I think it does. It also makes me feel somewhat easier about them all being out together since I know they can fly to get away if need be. It allows them to keep their distance from each other. For Rodrigo, it's especially important since his legs are splayed.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
This is why a clipped bird is not safe in my home. Pinky is mainly clipped with some flights in but it is a HUGE work to make sure all stays well and doing seperate out times, etc. When Mera's left wing had 5 clipped feathers, she was a sitting goose to my cockatoos plus her flying was terrible. It can be very trying to have both clipped and flighted large parrots. I prefer all my fids to be flighted if one is they all need to be.

Sunnyside

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Janice
Being flighted is good for my guys, I notice a HUGE difference from when they were clipped. That being said, I clipped Ozzy's wings tonight after he did another flight attack on me and this time he was successful. Giving Ozzy the freedom of flight makes my life hell, and I am done trying to accommodate his every need....and that is why his little butt got clipped tonight. No more flight attacks for me and he will remain clipped as long as I am breathing air....

Yeah, bad bad bad Ozzy night...then again I don't know of many nights that are good with him....

Ariahna

Sprinting down the street
It definitely helps P.J. The conures bully him around. I'm not sure why he lets them since he is so much bigger, but he just prefers to fly away. The biggest bully is Kiwi but he can't fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.