• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do you think your parrots are well socialized enough..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
in case you ever had to find new homes for them.:huh:

I *think* Emma would do very well in the right home. She's very sociable and trusting.

I *think* Sachi would do very well too.:) She is pretty adapatable too. With me out of the picture she is quite trusting as well.:) Emma and Sachi are pretty easy going.

Mabel :o: ... I feel that she would have to be the one to *choose* her new parronts otherwise it may result in more rehoming.:(
Occasionally I worry about ALL of them outliving me. It's a very sobering thought and helps curb any thoughts of adding additional parrots. It's also one of those things that I dislike thinking about but I do. :(I feel that part of my responsibilities as a parrot owner is ensuring that they are well socialized in order to make any future transitions as seamless as possible.

Last edited:

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Piper - Yes, he's good with anyone.
Shade - Yes, also very good with anyone.
Joey - As long as you are willing to laugh at what he does or with him, he's happy.
Petey - Will have to probably be a man with no one else and no other bird in his life..
Zuri - We are working on it.
Pixel - She did very well being rehomed here from her previous home, although she's much better with me than she is with my boyfriend so she could use a little bit extra socializing.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I worry about mine too. They will likely outlive me, especially the large macaws. They are all pretty well socialized but have their quirks and preferences. It would depend on the circumstances, and they would have to have the right owners. It's a huge worry where they will end up, how they'll be treated :( . I try to focus on the fact that I still have some years left before this becomes a pressing concern.

The Cozy Nestbox

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
....I feel that part of my responsibilities as a parrot owner is ensuring that they are well socialized in order to make any future transitions as seamless as possible.
I could not agree more!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
That's why I had vet tech's come by our place weekends for a few hours for several years to socialize them during their formative years because we don't have a lot of visitors except holidays (plenty of workmen though :D)

jerseybella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
dawn
Bella is NOT. It was not something I did intentionaly, It just happened. Bella hates everyone but me. Out for blood.

What can I do to improve this?

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
I think all my babies would do well, except Mia. Mia likes me and she likes my mom. Everyone outside of the two of us will have a hard time earning her trust and affections. It would take a patient person. The only thing that I think would be good is that Mia LOVES attention so being lavished with attention would eventually win her over.

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
A few of mine need a little work, notably Avery my hahns. He has always been skittish, and only I can handle him.

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
Chewy, not a chance. She loves me, and tolerates my sister. She'll attack anyone else. It would have to be a real cockatoo person, preferably female, who would be very understanding and willing to work through Chewy's issues. I think Chewy would have to pick the person to a point as well.

Leyla and Nin would be fine. They will fly to pretty much anyone, so long as it's not a very tall/big man. The issue would be finding someone who would be okay with dealing with Leyla's aggression when she's nesty. But most of the time she's fine, so I find that would be minor. I really wouldn't call them well-socialized... but they are very outgoing and thus will go to most people:)

It's hard to say with Rigby. He's not "tame" persay. But he knows me, and is rarely EVER around any other people. He will fly to my shoulder or head as long as long as I ignore him. I do think he would be fine with anyone, but he'd probably take a few weeks to get used to them. I wouldn't call him socialized though!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Both of mine are so bonded to me and with them already being passed around before I took them in. I dont think they would do well in a new home. Simba tries to kill anyone that isnt me and Nala isnt very trusting of new people,but will go to some on occasion.

prettyinpink

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
This has always been important to me. Loofa isn't an 'attack' bird but he's very shy. If you show him to someone new he'll be so shy you can almost see him blush, I think it's the cutest thing ever...like a little boy hiding behind his mom. But if you ask him to give kisses or to dance, he'll do it...just is so shy and quiet.

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't actually worry about it too much. I think birds adapt. It may take time, but they adapt.

It is our responsibility .. should we need to rehome them, to find the best possible fit of course, but I think all of my birds would adapt to a new environment in time. For most of my flock, I wasn't their first home, and they've adapted here, so I truly feel in the right home, they'd adapt again.

Mystics Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
with all the birds that have come tru here and with me getting sick and at hosp off and on a couple yrs,i truly believe in 90% of cases if the bird is in a stimulitating enviroment with a knowledgeable owner and needs are being meet they do very well

Mystics Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
sorry Merlie we must have posted at same time..feel the same way,also your bird that loves only you when put in a new home without you they attach to another very well these are intelligent animals and are hard wired to adapt to change

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
i will be 78 this yr and i have made sure Mango knows who will
be looking after him when im gone . that was my first worry and when my son saw him he fell in love with him and said he would take him ,
GVlen has spent time with him and went in the truck with him
and when he comes here Mango is with him to the point Mango
chases me out ,,lool

yes Mango will miss me no dought but Glen has studied up on him
read ever thing also has a book of doos and donts , Glen knows how i feed Mango his likes and dis likes so it should be easy for both
only one problem i see and thats with Glen he not used to standing back and waiting for an animail come to him on its time and this he will learn
after hes got bit as im sure it will happen .

i have always asked mango do you want to come or said come on lets go
i never take him from his play area or cage , i have respected that and im sure Glen will to in time,,lol
am i woried about all this yes i want to see Mango as an adult go
through the changes he will go through other than that no

Mango will have what i have given him freedom as my son agrees
cages are his home not his prisen

impala400

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Yvonne
Budgies - don't care who takes care of them.
Rodrigo - extremely curious so he would be fine if he had to be rehomed.
Doisy - is definitely attatched to me but is good with strangers. He would just need time to adapt to a rehome.
Clara - would have to go to a home with bird experience. She is extremely needy and can be a biter as well as aggresive. She doesn't mind strangers but her issues would make her harder to rehome.

I think my birds could be better socialized but I think they would be able to adapt rather quickly to a new home.

Onyxena

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Morgan
I think my guys would be okay really. I am mostly the favored human, but with time they would likely accept someone new. MaiTai will not let anyone else handle her at this point, but when I board her occcasionally, she will warm up to someone who isn't too aggressive or too fearful with her. Max loves women, he will happily step up and do his flirtatious posing and talking. I am sure he would be happy so long as he had a nice lady feeding him yogurt covered pretzels! Cabo is only 10 months so still adaptable. Teaka is quite friendly to most people and no doubt would be a great pet for her new owners. The bourkes really like everyone, don't think they would care much, but would be looking for all the goodies I give them:)

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
Aly - Yes, I think so, she is well socialized
Chiquita - No, she is to bonded to me and I am trying my best to get her socialized but she just wants me.
Boomer - yes, if he is taken care of properly

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Oh yes!!! Squeeky loves people so much! He really does. He always has been this way since a baby. I have no doubts on this one as everyone who meets my little boy loves him :heart:.

Status
Not open for further replies.