• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do you shop at Bird Fairs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

quakingcanopy

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
I'm just wondering - do you, or would you, shop at a bird fair?

I would NEVER (EVER EVER) buy a bird from a bird fair. And anything in an open container that can't safely go in my dishwasher is completed out. No food either...

But there is a bird fair in my area in 2 weeks and I really need rope perches. My birds all love comfy perches and I can't seem to have enough. But at $11-16 each, I need 2-3 per cage, and I have 4 cages...whew! I haven't been to this bird fair but I have a friend who has and he goes and buys comfy perches for $4-5 a piece.

I'm just wondering if you think this will be safe? If I buy them, put them in the dishwasher, and dry them before placing them in cages?

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I have been wanting to go to one just to go I actually know quite a few small vendors that show at them. They aren't really as bad as you'd think, like yes I wouldn't buy a bird (although some birds there ARE pets and such looking for a home) but in order to sell food you actually have to have a vendors license meaning not everyone can sell food. I'd just check the dates on it and make sure its not open but I honestly see no problem in buying food. Now toys you should make sure they are safe but even rope perches I don't see there being an issue just make sure they are new and I rinse everything off with cage scrub and let it dry just because you never know who has touched the stuff (in any store even) and if they have sick birds or something.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I have bought stuff from bird fairs in the past, but not very often. I don't think I'd ever get a bird at a bird fair, but one never knows...I saw a gorgeous baby Major at the last one I went to!:)

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
Yes I shop at bird fairs and even bought a couple of my birds from a bird fair. They are as healthy as can be and are from great breeders.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Personally, it's a resounding no and never for me, especially something porous/fibrous like a cotton rope perch. Much too paranoid for that. :o:

patagonian

Hit the Road
Yes, I haven't bought birds from a bird fair!! I go about every three months and stock up on some great toys!

Euphoria

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
you can also goto the hardware store and make ur own they are very simple to make and might save u some money in the end.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
Yes, I go and have been to birdfairs before- the key is to make sure everything is safely washed if possible before giving it to your birds. I always change clothes and/or take a shower when I come home from birdfairs before visiting my flock just to be on the safe side. I'd rather be overly cautious than not cautious enough and have 1 of my fids get sick or something. I've gotten several of my birds from birdfairs and I've gotten all of their cages at birdfairs too. I usually get food, treats, toys and perches at birdfairs. Toys and perches are cleaned, scrubbed and dried before giving to the birds- the next one I'm going to is in October. :) You just have to be careful about what you buy/how you clean it and make sure to take extra precautions if you touch/handle birds there at the fair.

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
I go to fairs, but I'm careful about what I buy. If it can't be washed or throughly sprayed down with F10 Biocare, I don't buy it. You're actually fairly safe buying food, as long as it's in the original packaging and you check expiration dates.

A few things to do:

When you get home, don't go anywhere near your birds. Get out of the clothing and shoes you wore, wash them immediately and take a good shower.
I actually change in my garage, throw bird fair clothing into a bag, then enter the house.

I don't bring ANYTHING I've purchased into the house immediately. Everything gets spread out on a table in my garage and completely sprayed down with F10 Biocare <disinfectant>. The next day, anything that can be put into the washing machine or dishwasher .. does, then sprayed again and dried.

Items that can't go in the washing machine or dishwasher get another spray down with F10 on the second day and left to dry again.

Usually, it's more than 48 hrs. before anything I've purchased actually goes near a bird.

Of course, there are absolutely NO guarantees anything I do will prevent a disease from spreading, but I do the best I can.

As far as purchasing a bird at a fair, that's all other ball of wax that to me, is up to the individual.

purplekat61

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kat
I just got back from one over the weekend. I found that the toys etc were not much of a bargain. Most were full retail prices. The birds however were hard to pass up....sigh.....but I did. :(

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Oh Chad! I just sent you a PM! I was confused! LOL! I saw the baby Major at TASC the year before last. They were asking $3000 for her which is pretty much par for the course.

TITANIS

Oh Chad! I just sent you a PM! I was confused! LOL! I saw the baby Major at TASC the year before last. They were asking $3000 for her which is pretty much par for the course.
At that price, I would have snapped her up! They're double the cost here! :eek:

IggyPepito

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
I have been to a bird fair but that was BEFORE I had Iggy. I went to it to get some toys and such. I do not think I would go to another bird fair while I have birds in my care because I would not want to bring any diseases home with me.

quakingcanopy

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
I'm sure worried about disease and such. I have heard the birds at bird fairs are risky because they are from mass-producers. We're not in the market for a new bird though! But perches...for sure...

I like the idea of sanitizing everything before it comes into the house! :highfive:

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
Not all breeders that go to the fair are mass-producers. A lot of them live in the area and it gives them an opportunity to network. I fear taking my bird to the vets more then I do fairs.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I go to a local bird fair once a month, mainly for supplies (food) which I order from Wisconsin Exotics Aviary in Wisconsin. They breed some birds but only bring supplies to the fair (and charge WI sales tax if you pre-order:D). I have bought 7 of my birds from breeders at this fair though 1 of them I picked up at the breeder's house and another I picked up at the vet's office (the baby was being surgically sexed as I wanted a male lovie). :laughing12:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
At that price, I would have snapped her up! They're double the cost here! :eek:
I think I would faint if they were that expensive here in the states! LOL! I held her for quite a while...a wonderful little thing she was!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I go to a local bird fair once a month, mainly for supplies (food) which I order from Wisconsin Exotics Aviary in Wisconsin. They breed some birds but only bring supplies to the fair (and charge WI sales tax if you pre-order:D). I have bought 7 of my birds from breeders at this fair though 1 of them I picked up at the breeder's house and another I picked up at the vet's office (the baby was being surgically sexed as I wanted a male lovie). :laughing12:
Is this the one in Rolling Meadows?

quakingcanopy

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda

Jen .. I'm pretty sure Sandra hits the RM fair like I do, we've probably walked right be each other without knowing we're both members here.
:hehe: You guys should start an AA group and all go together!

Status
Not open for further replies.