• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do You Offer Herbs to Your Budgies?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Herbs are wonderful plants both for our birds and ourselves. If you are not sure of which ones are safe here is a chart. I am currently giving my budgies Thyme Tea (weak solution) for yeast infection. They can also safely eat the herb itself.

Herbs are very tasteful ingredients for many dishes that we're cooking day by day. But there is a whole lot more you can do with the delicate and aromatic leaves and stems than seasoning your food. Many birds also love to eat fresh herbs. And some of these plants have a positive effect on your bird's health because they're natural remedies.
Tasty herbs for budgies:
ArugulaBasilBear's garlicBorage
BurnetCarrot
(green parts)ChervilChives
Coriander
(green parts)CressDill**Fennel
(green parts)
Garden sorrelLemon balmLemongrassLovage
MarjoramMelissaMint**Mugwort
Oregano**Parsley*PurslaneRoquette
Rosemary**Sage**SavoryTarragon
Thyme**Water cress

Mariannee

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Yes all the time, one or another as well as rose hips and other foraged greens.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
How do you serve them? Which ones do your birds like best?

RadhaVallabhi

Rollerblading along the road
Sounds good! I'd like to try giving them more variety!

Shivan

Walking the driveway
The flowering stalks is what i most offer of edible herbs...particularly tulsi (Indian basil) other forms of basil, oregano and others. The flowering stalks are the most nutritious, loaded with pollen and vitamins.
The flowering stalks of tulsi are my own little bird secret for healthy long lived birds. :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I drink tulsi tea all the time. Would the tea from a tea bag have the same nutritional value to a bird? Also can the Indian Basil be grown in Maryland in a container?

Shivan

Walking the driveway
I drink tulsi tea all the time. Would the tea from a tea bag have the same nutritional value to a bird? Also can the Indian Basil be grown in Maryland in a container?
It would be good, but not the same value as the flowering stalks. Maryland is not much different from Michigan. You can grow some in pots indoors during the winter, feeding leaves and flowers. Sow seeds outdoors in spring...they come up in summer very abundantly with lots of flowering stalks, and re-seed themselves every year.