• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do you guys believe in letting your birds reproduce??

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
@Laurul Feather Cat Thank you - I'd never heard the freezing suggestion but it does make more sense. Something to keep in mind though I've never boiled any, I switch them out for fakes.

Sparky04

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
We have all girlies right now, so no need to worry about fertilized eggs. When I got Oz, I had Sparky at the time and was worried about bringing in a male tiel into the house. What if I had to deal with fertilized egg? I decided when I brought Oz home that if there were any fertilized eggs, I'd destroy them. With Sparky's problems, I didn't want her passing on her genes. It turns out Oz had bad genes as well, but that's a different story. So that was really the only time I had a worry about fertilized eggs. Sparky ended up hating Oz, so it worked out that I never had to intervene. The only time we had a mated pair was a pair of budgies and I was too young at the time to have any worries about baby budgies. It comes down to I don't want to deal with babies. Stressing over keeping them alive, stressing over finding them homes, it's not for me.

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Thanks everyone appreciate the advise.

Aequa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Caity
Noooope. To many unwanted animals. I do not encourage my birds to reproduce. Perhaps in the future if I decide to start breeding properly, I may, but mine are pets, I have enough, I don't know anyone to give them homes. I don't know what I'll do if Pepper and Yoshi have eggs but I will not encourage them. Both are very healthy birds, namely Yoshi who has always had great nutrition, both have good genes, but as it currently is, I'd never encourage chicks. I'm too involved in rescues and helping birds off sale sites, I know there's too many uneducated people out there, too many homeless animals.
That said, I don't mind people who decide to become breeders. As long as they do it properly and raise good, balanced babies. You don't do it half-heartedly, it shouldn't be an unexpected thing. The second I considered bringing Pepper, a DNA hen, home, to be friends with Yoshi, my DNA cock, I read up on handraising, hatching, common health issues for parents and babies. I know where to get all the supplies needed if the situation arose regardless of preventative measures. Maybe I'm being over-cautious but I've seen some horrific problems, deformities and health issues - among them commonly is death for parents or chicks.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Correction. Do not freeze the eggs to sterilize them. Refrigerate down where you keep your food. Refrigerators maintain cold and VERY DRY AIR in their food compartment. Refrigeration for 8 hours assures the eggs are dead and also pulls the moisture out of the eggs, beginning the drying process. I got this idea from my aunt who does crafts with dried eggs of all different sizes from swans to those little guinea hens. That way she doesn't have to "blow" the eggs empty; she just puts them in the fridge and legs the moisture in the egg evaporate and disappear.