• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do You Give Your Bird Avicalm?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
This is from a Newsletter from Pam Clark. It will be difficult to find Avicalm any more because the company that makes it is out of business.

Hate to Burst Your Bubble...But!

Despite centuries of anecdotal evidence, which suggests that such a thing doesn't exist, it appears to be human nature to seek the magic bullet - the single effective and safe answer to a previously unsolved problem. Enter AviCalm - a product that has become quite popular among parrot owners.

This supplement is advertised as "Anti-Stress, Anti-Pick, Anti-Aggression - a new discovery to help noisy, agitated, aggressive or picking birds." It is further described as "safe, non-sedating, and non-toxic."

"Contents: L-theanine in a maltodextrin base, formulated especially for birds." The suggested amounts to offer twice daily: "Small birds (budgies) 1/8 teaspoon, Medium birds (Amazons) 1/4 teaspoon, Large birds (macaws) 1/2 teaspoon." No information is provided as to the number of milligrams of L-theanine contained in a particular quantity - I have searched everywhere for this information and can confirm that it is not readily available. You are left to follow the recommendations on the label without knowing how many milligrams you are actually giving your bird.

You all know that I am a proponent for the use of critical thinking skills to evaluate information before accepting its validity. Perhaps I am just defiant by nature. But, I have a drive to delve into things and discover the truth about them for myself. Recently, a couple of clients asked me what I think about Avicalm. Here is what I found out about this product by doing a bit of research:

Maltodextrin is a common additive in many processed foods and cosmetics. It is a tasteless, but slightly sweet, white powder usually made from GMO corn, although rice, potato starch or wheat can also be used. It is highly processed and closely related to corn syrup solids.

Maltodextrin's glycemic index is higher than table sugar, so it is capable of increasing blood sugar levels quickly. It is a carbohydrate with no nutritional value.

As to adverse side effects, over and above increasing blood sugar levels quickly and significantly, one 2012 study (referenced in the 2017 Healthline Newsletter piece Is Maltodextrin Bad for Me?) found that it can change the composition of bacteria in the gut in a way that makes one more susceptible to disease. It has the potential to suppress the growth of probiotic bacteria and can increase the growth of E. coli bacteria.

I believe that the use of maltodextrin as the carrier for the L-theanine in Avicalm deserves closer scrutiny. The recommendation for a medium-sized parrot is 1/4 teaspoon twice daily, or 1/2 teaspoon per day. Let's assume that this medium-sized parrot weighs 500 grams, which is a little over one pound. If you do the math, you will find that feeding a one pound parrot 1/2 teaspoon of maltodextrin daily is analogous to a 100-pound person consuming almost 17 tablespoons a day.

Now, obviously Avicalm is not all maltodextrin; part is the L-theanine powder, although we don't know how much. However, I can tell you with certainty that a 200 mg capsule (an adult human dose) of L-theanine is slightly less in quantity than 1/4 teaspoon. (Bear in mind that this too has fillers.)

There has never been a clinical study performed to determine the correct dose for a parrot. One study was done with broiler chickens that suggested that the optimal dose is 200 mg/1000 grams. What does this suggest? Any parrot consuming Avicalm is getting mostly maltodextrin.

As to L-theanine, this is an amino acid derived from tea leaves. One website that sells Avicalm cites "extensive research" that has been done on this substance that proves its benefits. Not so. Research done in humans has resulted in rather weak evidence for possible benefits, in terms of reducing stress and increasing relaxation. Research done on dogs and cats is scanty and has lacked bias controls. No controlled studies of it's use have been done in parrots.

So, once again, we are extrapolating from human alternative medicine claims without fully investigating any possible negative side effects. Although the FDA claims that L-theanine is non-toxic, we know that many substances safe for humans are not safe for birds.

Online, this product has some glowing reviews. Anecdotal information obtained from customer reviews does not constitute credible "evidence." There are at least two possible alternative explanations for those 5-star reviews.

First, most parrot owners with a parrot that destroys feathers do not just try one thing at a time. They are desperate for a solution and typically make several changes at once in order to resolve the problem. For example, by examining the Facebook page belonging to the author of one of those ecstatic reviews, I found a photo of the bird in a cage packed with enrichment. However, there is a tendency to attribute improvement to something sold commercially.

Second, there is a very real phenomenon called caregiver placebo effects. This refers to the tendency among people to use a more intuitive measure of a product's efficacy, rather than empirical evidence. If interested, read Caregiver Placebo Effects: New Study Shows that Owners & Vets often Believe an Ineffective Therapy is Working When it Isn't.

I suggest the following: (1) If you are going to experiment by giving your birds L-theanine, it would be better to do so by using a product that does not contain maltodextrin (a single human-grade capsule could be opened to lightly "salt" food); (2) Since L-theanine has not been scientifically proven safe for birds, nor have we established a therapeutic dose, please consult your avian veterinarian for their advice and a suggested dose before ever using this supplement.

Can L-theanine help "around the edges" as an adjunct to behavior modification, the way that fluoxetine can with dogs? We have yet to see. However, remember - never use something like this as a substitute for what science has proven does work - antecedent arrangements, positive reinforcement and other science-based behavior modification strategies.

With love,
Pam

▪ B. F. Skinner
Announcement:

No one who subscribes to this newsletter attempted the challenge I included in my

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Oh, I didn't know they went out of business! I used Avicalm once or twice a week with my conures, but only in very small doses (much less than what they suggest). But I do hear that many people have come to depend on it for their parrots' overall health. Very interesting points in the article, though I don't think we can overlook the many positive reviews despite the lack of what we call scientific evidence.