• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do they really play with those toys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jally

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
I see thread after thread about toy purchases and often wonder if they really play with those toys? Be honest. If they do, how do you get them to not be scared of those cool toys?

I spend a lot of money on toys that "I" think look like fun only to have them rejected by every single fid. Mine like cardboard egg cartons, cut up straws, qtips, flat toothpicks, condiment cups, finger traps, baskets.... :rolleyes:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
To be honest... I don't know if I've bought any toys that they haven't played with!! Charles (my budgie) will sometimes take a few weeks, but he hasn't rejected a toy yet. Lola loves anything and everything I've offered her so far. :)

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
Mia is a toy snob. She likes bells and things she can make a racket with.

Capri will chew anything in front of her. Elle's not picky either. The parakeets and cockatiels have their favorites so do the Linnies. Everyone gets their favorites!

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
My guys are not big wood chewers (except for door and window frames!) but Harper loves to shred! So I try to pick out toys that they will play with. I know Kei likes to forage and once he gets a foraging toy, he will play with it so I try to focus on foraging and shredding toys. Other than that I get a lot of things to climb on. Once I find something my guys really like, I get a bunch of the same toy because I know they'll play with it. My wood and plastic toys ususually last forever so I will just take them apart and make new toys or store them and switch them out.

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
Hmm, my guys must get bored very easily because if I buy duplicate of a toy that they actually show an interest in, guaranteed they won't show an interest in it again. Toys get snubbed, but I can hang toy parts all over the place and those they will play with. I hung a basket for the suns the other day and it was gone in a day! As I am typing this, they are chewing up little wooden slats that I found at Walmart.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
Hmm, my guys must get bored very easily because if I buy duplicate of a toy that they actually show an interest in, guaranteed they won't show an interest in it again. Toys get snubbed, but I can hang toy parts all over the place and those they will play with. I hung a basket for the suns the other day and it was gone in a day! As I am typing this, they are chewing up little wooden slats that I found at Walmart.
yea- my fids are the same way- LOL!

Joey

Hit the Road
i'm always paranoid by them being afraid or not liking the toy i get. basically i'd see if they move away from it first, then slowly start to get near it and just attack it playfully. if that doesn't happen, i'd just let them get curious enough until they are comfortable. and if they totally hate the toy or are terrified from it, i'd just give it to any friend who's parrot(s) don't seem to mind it. :3

Gilraen

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Danae
Rydia doesn't play with anything but foraging toys and bells. 95+% of the time if she's chewed on something it is because I was holding it for her after I got her wound up and wouldn't stop putting it near her beak. She's had a couple of shredding/chewing toys in the past that she's played with, but once I get her a replacement for them, she ignores it.

The parrotlets LOVE yucca and balsa. And seem to be okay with some shredding stuff.

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
i'm always paranoid by them being afraid or not liking the toy i get. basically i'd see if they move away from it first, then slowly start to get near it and just attack it playfully. if that doesn't happen, i'd just let them get curious enough until they are comfortable. and if they totally hate the toy or are terrified from it, i'd just give it to any friend who's parrot(s) don't seem to mind it. :3
Joey i notice you have a line tru midnight did something happen?

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Same here. That's why I started making my own, out of things I know they like. Got tired of spending money on this they won't touch :) Now Jasper, the Lovie is super easy to please, any little bird toy will do :heart:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I don’t buy toys anymore.. (unless its one of the birds hatchdays, then I think that’s worth it) I make them, and 99% of the time, they will play with the toys, or destroy them within minutes/seconds.

It
’s easier for a bird to familiarize a toy/play with one if they’ve had them from a young age. BUT, that’s not to say a bird that’s never had toys, will never play with them.

LuvMyBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
Sherry, when I walk into the bird room with a new toy if there is not instant interest, I sit down at my desk and play with the toy. I do not even look at any of the birds and I don't even walk over and show it to anyone. It's MINE and I am loving it! I will then leave it on the desk in plain view. This might happen for several days until someone is showing a huge interest. (I mean I play with that toy - I even act like I'm chewing on it) Cause even though I have ferocious Zons :) some toys are put on earth to cause fright and flight :hehe:. I am one of those nuts that buy just about all toys in threes (well they all need one don't they:lol:) so I don't want to have three toys that aren't played with. Doing it this way very seldom do I have something that is flat out rejected.

That said I also have a collection of boxes which are a huge favorite too!

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I have bought toys that I thought they would just go nuts over and they liked the paper bag or box it came in more :lol:

igors mum

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
deb
my alexandrine igor is the biggest toy player. he will rush to the door of the cage when he sees me putting a new one in and is playing with it as im hanging it which sometimes makes it really difficult to hang with him on it lol.my galah gets excited if its a wooden toy the other birds could really care less about the toys.

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
With 11 birds here, it's almost guaranteed that someone will like every toy I buy lol. If the bird who originally gets the toy doesn't like it, I rotate it to someone else or put it on a playgym, eventually it gets played with.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
My 'toos are not pikcky when it comes to the type of toys they have, unless its very tough/thick wood. Only Bokka and Moby and a few of the older male 'toos at the aviary, will chew on these type of toys. But for the most part, if you give them a toy, they will play/destroy it :)

Pua my RLA is a different birdie. She is very picky, and will only FORAGE and sometimes lightly chew on the softest of woods.

The cockatiels only like shreddable toys, bells and mirrors.

Lovebird and p'let love any type of toys.

Quakers we have love grassy/shreddable toys and plastics on long chains and such (they like to weave them into a knot and such).

For a bird that doesnt like toys, we just stick as many toys into the cage as possible, so the bird has to 'weave" itself through the toys. This helps them to learn to play :) And even if they do not play with the toys, a bird should alway shave toys inside its cage. It helps keep the cage less gloomy.

Status
Not open for further replies.