• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do seeds go bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolyn17603

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
carolyn
I bought colored safflower seeds for birds at a viriety store and I noticed they expired in 2004. (I noticed this variety store sells alot of expired stuff that is years expired or doesnt have dates on it so I stopped buying from them but at the time when I bought these I didnt know they were expired) Do seeds ever really go bad? The bag was never opened. I like them because they are bright and colorful and would make it fun for them and I never gave them safflower seeds before. Should I just throw them out or do seeds ever go bad? Are safflower seeds good for them? Also are pine nuts good for them? Was gonna get some to try with them but wanna know if they are ok for them before I buy them since they are so expensive.

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Seeds do go bad. I woulnd't feed them :( Those are 8 years past expiration. I could understand maybe like a month or so after expiration but def not 8 years.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Safflower seeds are good in moderation but are fatty. the fake colors are not really good got them. They do expire, and will have as much nutritional value as cardboard at that age. Things have expiration dates for a reason.

tpoduje

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Todd
They do, we keep our seed mixes in the fridge.

carolyn17603

Real Name
carolyn
Ok thanks I will throw them out. Is it ok to feed them safflower seeds I would get a grocery store for humans to eat? And what about pine nuts? I did research on my birds and heard that is their favorite

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I have never seen safflower seeds sold for humans. Are you thinking of sunflower seeds? Pine nuts are great. No salt.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
They definitely do expire and I think you did the right thing throwing them out. I wouldn't use any food past a couple of months of expiration date. I keep all my foods in the freezer for freshness.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Safflower seeds in moderation are fine. I don't personally feed them. Human grade pine nuts with no salt, etc are also fine. Mine don't care for them!

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Expired seeds...colored seeds....not worth the price no matter how cheap they were.

An easy way to test any seeds for reassurance that they are viable, is to soak them, same way as if you were sprouting.
If the seeds germinate and develop, they are good.
If no tiny tails appear...even after 2-3 days...toss out your seed and find a new source! Seeds that won't sprout offer no nutrition; they are "duds".

carolyn17603

Real Name
carolyn
I have no clue how to do that. Do I just look for growth? I'm sure they sell safflower seeds somewhere cause they make safflower oil. And the ones I got were for birds. The pine nuts are really expensive at the nut sure they are 25 a lb. but I was gonna see if I could just buy a oz to try them it would be like 2 dollars then I run a stand at a mkt for my sister they have everything cheaper I can get half pound here for 6.50. So good deal but don't wanna spend that much if they won't eat them

Status
Not open for further replies.