• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do oil filled heaters get hot enough to burn feet?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I had one so long ago I can't remember how hot they get?

I would love to keep one in Blu's room but I'm trying to see if it's even possible with him being free all the time.

I was kind of thinking I could just keep it on at night, on a timer, when he's in his cage.

But it would be even nicer if I could use it all the time in winter, as long as I hide the cord. Would that be possible? I'm guessing it gets too hot though?

If it comes down to it I guess I could build it a cage but I hope I don't have to.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I think so but I'm not sure. I use an infrared heater for my birds and the housing is cool to the touch (important for birds and toddler!)

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I think so but I'm not sure. I use an infrared heater for my birds and the housing is cool to the touch (important for birds and toddler!)
Oooh....off to Google infrared heaters...

Thank you!!!

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
I did have an old one that I threw out due to the heat and also the fumes it was giving off! Hubby got it from his Dear Aunt and insisted we use it, so we gave it a go outside. We've had a ceramic heater now for about nine years. I used it under my desk at work to warm my feet. You can knock it over, touch it, and it has a simple temperature from just hot to cold. I believe it wasn't very expensive and it's sure has paid off.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Good to know, thanks, Liz! I'm not sure why I was under the impression that that the only heaters that were safe for birds were oil filled.

I'm going to have to search the boards for heater threads to see if anyone has any links to good ones.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
yes they can get very hot depending on your setting. I don't use them until the birds are caged. I love them otherwise.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Yes I agree they get hot enough to burn footsies. But no smell to the oil filled ceramic heaters. They are bird safe. Oil heaters or kerosene are another story!

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
yes they can get very hot depending on your setting. I don't use them until the birds are caged. I love them otherwise.
Yes I agree they get hot enough to burn footsies. But no smell to the oil filled ceramic heaters. They are bird safe. Oil heaters or kerosene are another story!
Okay, then I will definitely either have to cage it or go with infrared or ceramic. Thanks so much!!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Okay, then I will definitely either have to cage it or go with infrared or ceramic. Thanks so much!!
the infrared grill gets blazing hot so don't leave him free when that is on! I bought an EdenPure brand infra red heater and Rudy was so attracted to the glowing red behind the grill he would try to maneuver into it so I had to quit using it. I had a very nice Lasko ceramic tower that died of old age and when i went to replace it, Lasko said it is not suitable around birds anymore!

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
the infrared grill gets blazing hot so don't leave him free when that is on! I bought an EdenPure brand infra red heater and Rudy was so attracted to the glowing red behind the grill he would try to maneuver into it so I had to quit using it. I had a very nice Lasko ceramic tower that died of old age and when i went to replace it, Lasko said it is not suitable around birds anymore!

That's very helpful, Saroj, thank you so much! I was also wondering if Blu would be attracted to the light (and also if it would disturb his sleep) so I guess infrared won't work for me.

Good to know the ceramic one isn't bird safe either! I guess oil filled is the way to go!

Thanks!!!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If you want to use it all the time just safety cage it. I’d give it about a foot of clearance on all sides. If it’s a foot out from the wall you only have to do 3 sides and a top.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
If you want to use it all the time just safety cage it. I’d give it about a foot of clearance on all sides. If it’s a foot out from the wall you only have to do 3 sides and a top.
Thanks, John!

I will have to see what I can come up with material wise. If it turns out being too expensive or labor intensive to cage, I'll probably just turn up the regular heat in the house and forgo the portable heat. I'd say $40-$50 Is the max I'd go to cage it. I'll let you guys know if I do it.

Thanks again for all the help!!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Thanks, John!

I will have to see what I can come up with material wise. If it turns out being too expensive or labor intensive to cage, I'll probably just turn up the regular heat in the house and forgo the portable heat. I'd say $40-$50 Is the max I'd go to cage it. I'll let you guys know if I do it.

Thanks again for all the help!!
It will always be cheaper to just turn the furnace up a little. Portable heat is a power hog.

Changing the filters and blowing out the ductwork will also make a huge difference. It’ll be warmer without turning it up.

Another trick is to fool the thermostat. Close off (or almost) heating ducts close to where the thermostat is causing the hot air to be pushed harder to other areas (steer it towards the bird area) The furnace will stay on a bit longer because it will take a little longer for that warm air to reach the thermostat area.

Can you tell I’ve lived in some pretty drafty old houses and it gets 40 below. I’ve got a million tricks for making it warmer. :lol:

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
It will always be cheaper to just turn the furnace up a little. Portable heat is a power hog.

Changing the filters and blowing out the ductwork will also make a huge difference. It’ll be warmer without turning it up.

Another trick is to fool the thermostat. Close off (or almost) heating ducts close to where the thermostat is causing the hot air to be pushed harder to other areas (steer it towards the bird area) The furnace will stay on a bit longer because it will take a little longer for that warm air to reach the thermostat area.

Can you tell I’ve lived in some pretty drafty old houses and it gets 40 below. I’ve got a million tricks for making it warmer. :lol:
Great thinking! Thank you so much!!!