• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do most greys lick their toe nails or bite them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deee

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I cant tell what Zaz is doing. Cleaning licking or biting them. We just had them filed a few weeks ago now they are sharp again.
His feet arent dirty, he showers every other night, I wash his perch every AM and in between I wipe it down. Hes only in his sleep cage at night, it
has various perches that I think are for his nails? Just wonder if anyone has ideas. Thanks. <3

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Hi Dee--My Sun Conure Nicky is always sharpening his talons to a needle-sharp point--at least that is what it looks like he's doing. I think it's just a normal part of the grooming process:)

deee

Avenue Veteran
Hi Dee--My Sun Conure Nicky is always sharpening his talons to a needle-sharp point--at least that is what it looks like he's doing. I think it's just a normal part of the grooming process:)
Sharpening his talons?? Thats what hes doing?? Bill just said it looks like hes cleaning the top of his beak inside lol all I know is tha they sure get sharp quick!! Our pet shop uses an electric sander to file them,last time we took him he put his toes right up to it and more or less did it himself lol they were surprised. His other mom was a vet tech so maby thats what they did. It was one of them like on TV its long and spins.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
It depends on how they chew/groom it. Greys and cockatoos and even macaws, are known to develope nervous behaviors which they'll constantly bring their feet to their beak and groom/bite their nails. Some Nervous and neurotic behaviors that may accompany this is rocking back and forth ("dancing"), head twisting, wing flipping, excessive preening, nervous flying, etc. When Bokka got anxious he would bite his nails while strutting and "dancing" and displaying cockatoo displays. He did it if guys were present or he wanted something(but not exactly begging).

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It is a very common behavior for greys to chew their nails and sometimes their toes. Nothing neurotic about. Mine all do it and they are all happy, healthy, well settled birds.

deee

Avenue Veteran
It depends on how they chew/groom it. Greys and cockatoos and even macaws, are known to develope nervous behaviors which they'll constantly bring their feet to their beak and groom/bite their nails. Some Nervous and neurotic behaviors that may accompany this is rocking back and forth ("dancing"), head twisting, wing flipping, excessive preening, nervous flying, etc. When Bokka got anxious he would bite his nails while strutting and "dancing" and displaying cockatoo displays. He did it if guys were present or he wanted something(but not exactly begging).
hmm.. Zaz isnt nervous at all. Hes sooo very calm, doesnt scream or screech. Steps up to anyone.Talks up a storm.. the only thing is his eating.. these last couple days hes reverted back to his old habbits of not wanting veggies. He loves kids, dogs, Pierre gets in his face and he looks away lol
He preens but doesnt over do it.. knocking on wood.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
It is a very common behavior for greys to chew their nails and sometimes their toes. Nothing neurotic about. Mine all do it and they are all happy, healthy, well settled birds.
That's why I said its "how" they do it. If they're are acting neurotic about it, then clearly its an unnatural behavior and not natural or normal:)

Last edited:

deee

Avenue Veteran
When Bill said he thought he was cleaning the inside of his beak.. I said.. well maby he is I hid PB toast inside his sweet potato ball to get him to eat lol
but he does it daily.. so maby it is part of their cleaning.. thanks. You are all so knowledgable :) <3

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Depending on his overall behavior, it could very well be he is just cleaning his nails. Birds do clean their nails. I know mine do when they feel the need to :D But if he is constantly chewing on them, I'd take note on when he does this, for how long, and the behavior before and after each incident.

carkam

Avenue Veteran
Big Bird does that too!! I thought it was being nervous, but he sure doesn't seem nervous!

McLaughlane

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Katie
Lina also does this. And then she'll stand there for a couple seconds with her claw in her beak like this:

dr evil.jpg

And I told her so. Clearly, she is plotting something. I'm pretty sure she is after the tub of almonds we keep for her as treats. :lol:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Long as they have a rough perch to wear their toenails down on and if they get too long are clipped by someone who knows what they are doing it should be fine.
Our Greys were always told to "clean their beaks" after they had eaten as a means of ensuring that they did not pick up any disease from dirty beaks after eating something mushy. Leroy now loves to clean her beak (mainly on me) as routine! Good luck.

shanlung

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
shanlung
Tink did that to better admire the view passing by.
Not as if she was biting her toe nails. She just stuck that in her jaw.

Strangely, I never seen her doing that when not on the bike, or if the bike not moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.