1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do cockatiel have a hierarchy

Discussion in 'Behavior Byway' started by Boojagirl, 7/7/18.

1. Boojagirl

Boojagirl Meeting neighbors

Tonia
    I have 5 cockatiels and it seems like 1 is the boss, like the others will be chirping away making all kinds of noise and the one will make 1 authorative chirp (like "ENOUGH!") and the others will stop and be quiet.

SandraK likes this.
  2. Tiel Feathers

Tiel Feathers Cruising the avenue Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Deanna
    I currently have three cockatiels, and one of them is always bossing everyone around. I have never had one that made the others be quiet however!

Eloy likes this.
  3. Mizzely

Mizzely Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor BINGO CHAMPION

Shawna
    It's complicated ;)

I have heard that it changes based on the situation. Like if Cockatiel A is best at finding food, he's the leader for a bit. If Cockatiel B is the best at finding nest sites, the flock followers her. If Cockatiel C knows when it's time to shut up - well they listen :lol:

But there is a lot of information we are learning! Like apparently Quakers DO have a hierarchy of sorts! How Do Parrots Determine The Pecking Order? They Pay Attention - Petcha

Other fun articles:
    Flock Behavior: How It Affects Our Companion Parrots
    Understanding Cockatiel Behavior: Flock Dynamics | Bonded With Tiels
    Part of the Flock
    When Pigeons Flock, Who's in Command? | Science | AAAS

Sarahmoluccan, SandraK, Eloy and 2 others like this.
  4. CeciliaZ

CeciliaZ Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

Cecilia
    I have 5 cockatiels...I think 3 of them try and be the "boss" - these 3 of mine are males.

Eloy likes this.
  5. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John
    There's a bully in every crowd. :)

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)