• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do budgies bond for life

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I understand you don't want to buy a potentially sick bird, but I'd feel like rescuing him if they are not well taken care of at the store.. :( It'd break my heart to just leave them there and go... Weren't those the birds with a bad wing clip??

I missed my vocation, I was probably meant to open a bird rescue center... :unsure1::confused:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I went first thing this morning & I was all set to get him, but then I noticed one of the others had wet poop stuck all over its vent and the skin looked pink, they had a bowl full of veggies that they were eating, so maybe diarrhea from too much veggies every day? Or some illness. So I didn’t get him, I notified the store manager. Might check back this week.... but felt unsure and sad leaving.
For me that would be a stronger reason to bring him home. He needs a home and you have his best friend just waiting for him.
Please go back!
And if they are sick yours already was expose to the disease.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
@ashgate When I was younger I used to collect seed from a local pet store. I'd look at the birds for interesting mutations and let my father know if there was anything interesting and worth a look. Most of the time there were just greens and blues as mutations hadn't really taken off here at that time.
In my teens it was my turn to take a couple of birds on. I would look for interesting mutations but my heart would always be taken by the 'runt' of the cage. Dirty, scruffy and small was the order of the day. My first budgie joined me 2 weeks later, the second followed a few months later.
They both had problems, but nothing I couldn't fix.
Poor feathers? Baths and grooming made a big difference but the big changes came with a moult?
Malnutrition? A rich diet for 2 months then a proper diet sorted that.
Neither bird had any physical injuries nor diseases, and both eventually proved to be very fun and loving birds. Neither of the budgies nor I knew that I had bought them because they needed to get out of there. I bought them, but I rescued them too.
They were my first Jack and Jill, and they lived a full and contented life free of disease and other problems. I regretted nothing, not even leaving them with my mother when I left home. She cared for them the way I did.
You don't have to buy the best lookers. In situations like a pet shop the living conditions mean if there's one sick bird then all of them are either sick or disease carriers.
I say rescue this bird. Get the 2 friends back together.

Last edited:

ashgate

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jen
I’ve been sad for days, I went back the next morning and he was gone, the girl said a mom and daughter bought that one and another blue one together.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Aww gutted :(

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
It was not meant to be, obviously :(

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Awwww @ashgate maybe you will get another budgie soon even if it is not the same one from the cage that day.
Sad to hear that they did not look healthy when you saw them after you bought your little sweetie.