• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Dislocated or broken toe

Clown.C0ff

Moving in
Real Name
Jess
Alba (my tiel) dislocated her toe yesterday and then popped it back into place. I was giving her oral meds and her toe got stuck on the towel and dislocated, I took her to the vet but it was fine and she just dislocated it again and I can tell it hurts but I just spent 800 at the vet and I can't afford to go back again I really don't know what to do I'm so worried I dont want her to hurt but I cannot afford this as I also just spent 700 on my car
-edit she popped it in place again and she's standing on it and scratching with it, is there any way I can prevent her from doing that again? Whenever I towel her she gets breathless and panics, it's a nightmare giving her medication

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Do you have a small fleece blanket you can use instead of a towel? A table cloth or a t-shirt? Any material piece that is not too large that is less likely to snag a nail is a good idea.

The best way to prevent it from happening again is to use material without loops or large gaps in the weave, something that is a tighter knit/higher thread count will be less likely to allow a nail to catch.

Clown.C0ff

Moving in
Real Name
Jess
Do you have a small fleece blanket you can use instead of a towel? A table cloth or a t-shirt? Any material piece that is not too large that is less likely to snag a nail is a good idea.

The best way to prevent it from happening again is to use material without loops or large gaps in the weave, something that is a tighter knit/higher thread count will be less likely to allow a nail to catch.
Thank you for the advice and quick response it's very much appreciated!:)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
You are welcome :)

Also remember not to hold your bird too tight when towelling, if they are held too tightly they have trouble breathing. Towel with a firm but gentle hold, medicate as soon as you can as calmly and quietly as you can and gently release your bird. Some times it helps to tell them what you are doing, it helps you concentrate and keeps them a bit calmer hearing your calm voice. Praise when you release your bird and treat if they have a fav treat.

Going forward, it is helpful to syringe train your bird for times like these, you can sometimes avoid towelling at all if your bird takes well to syringe training.

Last edited:

Clown.C0ff

Moving in
Real Name
Jess
You are welcome :)

Also remember not to hold your bird too tight when towelling, if they are held too tightly they have trouble breathing. Towel with a firm but gentle hold, medicate as soon as you can as calmly and quietly as you can and gently release your bird. Some times it helps to tell them what you are doing, it helps you concentrate and keeps them a bit calmer hearing your calm voice. Praise when you release your bird and treat if they have a fav treat.

Going forward, it is helpful to syringe train your bird for times like these, you can sometimes avoid towelling at all if your bird takes well to syringe training.
Even the vets have trouble toweling the poor thing I'll definitely keep that in mind! She is a bit difficult to train, but I'm going to keep trying it's better that she doesn't overstress herself and I don't make her feel worse.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Welcome to the forum, I'm sorry that's happened to Alba.

The best thing you can do at home is confine her to a small "hospital" cage to restrict her movement while she has a chance to recover.

Watch her closely to ensure she's still eating, drinking and pooping normally.

If you need to continue medications, I would try it without a towel.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
The other question is whether it's broken or dislocating. For $800, did the vet take x-rays to confirm a diagnosis? Or was that a previous visit for a different matter?