• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Discussion about Clipping Wings

Is Clipping Good?

• Total voters

Neko and Echo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alex
I am not planning on clipping my bird's wings but I am just curious about your views and opinions on clipping conures (any other birds are fine too :) )

I have heard both sides of the argument but I just want to do more research about the topic

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Honestly, my strong preference is to never clip a bird's feathers unless absolutely necessary (for example, due to a broken leg or wing that needs to heal). The ability to fly is ingrained in a bird's being and removing that is like taking their joy away from them (not to mention the health benefits). So if at all possible, I would stay away from clipping the wings of any birds. :)

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
All things being equal, I think having a fully-flighted bird is absolutely preferable to clipping. However, I think we all know that things are rarely so black-and-white. :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
This will turn into war zone soon enough.

Just honestly ask yourself. Why the heck would you want to get a bird if you're not going to let it fly? If you can't provide what bird needs to fly then you should be getting a puppy. Not a bird. I'm done.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think the vast majority of time a bird should not be clipped. It's so much better for a bird mentally and physically (usually) to be flighted. It gives them a greater sense of independence. It allows them to fly away from danger. And nothing makes me happier than when my bird chooses to fly to me. That said, there are exceptions. As was mentioned, sometimes with injuries etc. its safer to keep them clipped, etc.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Birds are designed for flight.

Clipped birds are at risk for heart disease, egg binding, plucking and screaming. They are at the mercy of the wind or animals if they escape (and yes clipped birds can fly away).

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
My crew are not clipped now, but they all were at one time or another. There are reasons why you might need to clip birds to keep them safe, small children, someone in the household with special needs come to mind. But I hate clipped birds. Riti my Kakariki was so shy and scared when clipped she hide in the back of her cage any time I got near. BUT now that she can fly you can see how much happier and confident she is. She will fly to me and sit on my shoulder, head or lap. Takes a sunflower seed for my fingers and then comes back demanding more, night and day.

There is not a clear cut answer but I think more of us would rather have them flighted than clipped.

Last edited:
Reactions: tka

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Neko and Echo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alex
My crew are not clipped now, but they all were at one time or another. There are reasons why you might need to clip birds to keep them safe, small children, someone in the household with special needs come to mind. But I hate clipped birds. Riti my Kakariki was so shy and scared when clipped she hide in the back of her cage any time I got near. BUT now that she can fly you can see how much happier and confident she is. She will fly to me and sit on my shoulder, head or lap. Takes a sunflower seed for my fingers and then comes back demanding more, night and day.

There is not a clear cut answer but I think more of us would rather have them flighted than clipped.
What's the point of clipping a bird's wings just so small children can play with it? Birds aren't toys and most are colorful but not beginner birds. Small children can be reckless and harm the bird for life. Some people get birds so that children can play with them then they give the bird up and abandon it after the children lose interest, Is that really the reason to break a bond with a bird? Is this a good example for your kids? Just because your children want a bird doesn't mean they should have one. It's just plain animal abuse honestly. I feel bad for all the birds that have to go through this stuff. There's a difference between WANTS and NEEDS.

Neko and Echo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alex
This will turn into war zone soon enough.

Just honestly ask yourself. Why the heck would you want to get a bird if you're not going to let it fly? If you can't provide what bird needs to fly then you should be getting a puppy. Not a bird. I'm done.
I think you shouldn't even get an animal if you have that way of thinking. I have a dog and I would never do ANYTHING to harm him or change his natural appearance just so some ungrateful kid could play with him. They're ANIMALS, FRIENDS, and FAMILY not TOYS or DECORATIONS

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What's the point of clipping a bird's wings just so small children can play with it? Birds aren't toys and most are colorful but not beginner birds. Small children can be reckless and harm the bird for life. Some people get birds so that children can play with them then they give the bird up and abandon it after the children lose interest, Is that really the reason to break a bond with a bird? Is this a good example for your kids? Just because your children want a bird doesn't mean they should have one. It's just plain animal abuse honestly. I feel bad for all the birds that have to go through this stuff. There's a difference between WANTS and NEEDS.

For the small children thing, I don't think that comment was meant that it was so the child could play with it. My son is 4 so he has always had a bird in his life, never allowed to play with them. However my Quaker was flying and attacking my son so he would drop his food and he could eat it. I did not clip him, but I would not have judged someone who did. I had to keep him caged more until he started behaving better. He then shifted his focus to me and was attacking me everyday to the point where I had to hide under my dining room table to get him to stop. I ended up having to let him live with a family member because I couldn't bring myself to clip him and he was attacking me as soon as I opened the cage, so it wasn't fair to keep him caged all the time either.

So while I agree that clipping should be a last resort, I cannot fault someone for taking that approach if their child or themselves is in danger.

Neko and Echo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alex
I guess I did overreact a bit but I think raising awareness is good. I do think that if you are an owner of a bird try to give the birds time to get used to children and not rush into a quick and unsteady relationship.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
I ended up having to let him live with a family member because I couldn't bring myself to clip him and he was attacking me as soon as I opened the cage, so it wasn't fair to keep him caged all the time either.
:sadhug:Big hugs Shawna, I know that was a very hard decision for you to make. But it just shows how much you loved him and that you wanted the best for him!!!!

We don't clip! I would only consider it if there was a serious medical issue that required it to happen.

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
MY post on small children and special needs was more to do with a flighted bird getting out with a door left open or other hazards than the child playing with the bird. They want a bird for them to play with buy a stuffed toy parrot.

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
I can see why you'd thin that. people are crazy as can be and do stupid things.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I do not clip chicks before they go to their new home. I leave that decision to the owners. Of my own, I’ve only clipped 2. My GCC Nibbles was initially trained to fly to the nearest shoulder. I thought this was a good idea because my cat was very interested. One day I had her on the counter and she stumbled off and went to the nearest shoulder. That happened to be the life sized news reporter on my television. She slammed into it and fell to the floor in a daze. A few days later she went into the sliding glass window because she saw a reflection. It was for her safety. The flight feathers grew back and so no longer flies into things. It was the same thing for my golden conure. She did loops around the family room and then went head first into a window. I would have her on my shoulder and she would jump off and go right into a window. She was clipped just enough to limit her flight. Now the feathers are growing back and she’s less inclined to slam head first into a window. It’s not something I’m going to do again. It’s like having your cat declawed. I adopted my cat that way, but it’s not something I would do myself. I respect that people have various opinions about it.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I do not clip chicks before they go to their new home. I leave that decision to the owners. Of my own, I’ve only clipped 2. My GCC Nibbles was initially trained to fly to the nearest shoulder. I thought this was a good idea because my cat was very interested. One day I had her on the counter and she stumbled off and went to the nearest shoulder. That happened to be the life sized news reporter on my television. She slammed into it and fell to the floor in a daze. A few days later she went into the sliding glass window because she saw a reflection. It was for her safety. The flight feathers grew back and so no longer flies into things. It was the same thing for my golden conure. She did loops around the family room and then went head first into a window. I would have her on my shoulder and she would jump off and go right into a window. She was clipped just enough to limit her flight. Now the feathers are growing back and she’s less inclined to slam head first into a window. It’s not something I’m going to do again. It’s like having your cat declawed. I adopted my cat that way, but it’s not something I would do myself. I respect that people have various opinions about it.

Brian, great points here. May I ask, were Nibbles and your Golden conure both babies when they flew into the t.v. and the window?

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Brian, great points here. May I ask, were Nibbles and your Golden conure both babies when they flew into the t.v. and the window?
Nibbles was about 10 months. Celia, the Golden was about 8 months old. Both could fly very well, but had a habit of slamming into things. I would stand at the sink with the golden on my hand and without warning she would launch herself right into the window. Even just a foot away I was concerned that she would crack or break her beak from the impact.