• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Disabled Canary?

Sparkles83221

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ella
Hellooo...I might be ending up with an 8TH bird..:hilarious: This Canary at work has..something going on, splayed feet? Anywho..She can NOT stand, at all. She gets around, she gets to the food dish just fine, etc etc. She's up for adoption because you can't sell a bird like that..and I'm going to get her in a day or two. I might take her home tomorrow?

What I want to know..Do disabled birds...Play? Should I get a bunch of platform perches? Get a swing or a big hanging food dish that acts like a swing for her..so she gets the swinging motion since she can't perch?

Do Canaries like toys?

I have a cage that's low and wide, but I have NOTHING else at this moment. I'll probably line the bottom with fleece...ANYTHING else that you guys/girls think is a good idea would be awesome. Thank you so much.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
Hellooo...I might be ending up with an 8TH bird..:hilarious: This Canary at work has..something going on, splayed feet? Anywho..She can NOT stand, at all. She gets around, she gets to the food dish just fine, etc etc. She's up for adoption because you can't sell a bird like that..and I'm going to get her in a day or two. I might take her home tomorrow?

What I want to know..Do disabled birds...Play? Should I get a bunch of platform perches? Get a swing or a big hanging food dish that acts like a swing for her..so she gets the swinging motion since she can't perch?

Do Canaries like toys?

I have a cage that's low and wide, but I have NOTHING else at this moment. I'll probably line the bottom with fleece...ANYTHING else that you guys/girls think is a good idea would be awesome. Thank you so much.
Canaries can be territorial and some prefer to live alone while others will get on well in a flock of at least 6 birds of the same gender.

As its a disabled canary I would put her in her own cage and maybe put the cage next to your other birds so that they can interact if they want to. I have a weak canary that is not a strong flyer and he got bullied in the flock and I almost lost him so he has been in his own cage ever since happily singing away.

Canaries don't really play with toys but they do love the perch swing and a range of natural branches of different thicknesses.

I would line the bottom of the cage with newspaper rather than fleece. Canaries love a bit of egg food and broccoli as well as spinach. They love the yellow oak from a boiled egg this is also packed with nutrients for your canary.

Sparkles83221

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ella
Canaries can be territorial and some prefer to live alone while others will get on well in a flock of at least 6 birds of the same gender.

As its a disabled canary I would put her in her own cage and maybe put the cage next to your other birds so that they can interact if they want to. I have a weak canary that is not a strong flyer and he got bullied in the flock and I almost lost him so he has been in his own cage ever since happily singing away.

Canaries don't really play with toys but they do love the perch swing and a range of natural branches of different thicknesses.

I would line the bottom of the cage with newspaper rather than fleece. Canaries love a bit of egg food and broccoli as well as spinach. They love the yellow oak from a boiled egg this is also packed with nutrients for your canary.
I will look for those hanging food dishes that look like they could double as a 'swing', that's the best I'd be able to provide for her.

I'll write down the diet suggestions, thank you. :)