• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

DIET Help - Diagnosis of Atherosclerosis

glxpassat

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I have a thread on all this in the 911 section. My beloved amazon is a very sick boy, and I was told one of his problems is atherosclerosis. With this being said, I was told all seeds are to be eliminated from his diet. I've spent many years getting him to eat some vegis and fruit, with a small portion of seed. He doesn't like pellets, and I've tried all different kinds. Because of all his new diagnosed problems, he has to be on a low fat diet. Could I get some ideas on trying to get him to eat healthy. He is also very underweight. TIA

ashbirdlady

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christa
So the vet said no seeds? Maybe try pellet berries or nutriberries plus his veg and fruit. Also make sure to include Omega 3 in his diet.
Here is an excerpt about Omega-3s from Lafeber:
Why omega-3 fatty acids?
Omega-3 fatty acids include alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) along with intermediary fatty acids. ALA is found in large proportions in flaxseed, camelina, rapeseed, chia seed, and walnuts. The major source of EPA and DHA is fatty fish. Unlike humans, chickens can efficiently convert ALA into EPA and DHA. Most beneficial health effects regarding atherosclerosis have been contributed to EPA and DHA, though some benefits may result from ALA and other omega-3 fatty acid intermediates.

Increasing the amount of omega-3 fatty acids with respect to omega-6 fatty acids results in a shift in both plasma and platelet fatty acid profiles. When arachidonic acid (AA) is replaced with EPA this limits the amount of AA that can be incorporated into cell membranes or elongated to eicosanoids, which cause an inflammatory response. Therefore, EPA can reduce the risk of atherosclerosis.

Feeding diets with a high proportion of omega-3 fatty acids has been shown to increase antibody response when chickens were given Newcastle Disease vaccinations. Flaxseed has recently been shown to display a chemosuppresive characteristic against ovarian cancer in laying hens. Long term feeding of a diet containing 10% flaxseed reduces mortality rate in commercial laying chickens. The flaxseed diet also improves the ability of birds to maintain their body weight. The amount of ALA in the muscle of birds is negatively associated with the degree of atherosclerosis.

The effect of ALA on plasma cholesterol and triglyceride levels is still debated, however other biological changes may prove to be more important than overall plasma cholesterol levels. Most species of birds can benefit from the addition of an ALA source in the diet. A source of EPA and DHA is recommended for carnivorous avian species as their ability to convert ALA to EPA and DHA is unknown.

Omega-3 Fatty Acids and Atherosclerosis in Birds | LafeberVet

Last edited:

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
So sorry for the diagnosis. :( Would he be interested in sprouted grains, legumes and seeds?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Secret is on low fat diet.

Have you tried Zupreem natural? Roudybush? My gang will eat both.

Zupreem monkey biscuits are well loved by my crew, I can moisten them down with warm liquids.

Senior Nutriberries are a hit here.

Chop is a good thing also.

I bought almond slivers for a rare treat for the zons and hope the vet or @Hankmacaw don't think that one is too fatty.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Lady Jane Almonds are the nut with the lowest saturated fats and highest calcium content and are a good nut to feed your bird.

Here is a conclusion by the World Journal of Cardiology that explains the advantages of Red Palm Oil which I highly recommend .

"The main argument against the use of palm oil as an edible oil is the fact that it contains palmitic acid, which is a saturated fatty acid and by extrapolation should give rise to elevated total cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels. However, there are many scientific studies, both in animals and humans that clearly show that palm oil consumption does not give rise to elevated serum cholesterol levels and that palm oil is not atherogenic. Apart from palmitic acid, palm oil consists of oleic and linoleic acids which are monounsaturated and polyunsaturated respectively. Palm oil also consists of vitamins A and E, which are powerful antioxidants. Palm oil has been scientifically shown to protect the heart and blood vessels from plaques and ischemic injuries. Palm oil consumed as a dietary fat as a part of a healthy balanced diet does not have incremental risk for cardiovascular disease. Little or no additional benefit will be obtained by replacing it with other oils rich in mono or polyunsaturated fatty acids."

Palm oil and the heart: A review

Jasper, my 26 year old GW female has had heart disease at least since she was 6 1/2 years old (when she was given to me) and her atherosclerosis has gotten more serious over the last 19 years. I have a wonderful vet, who has no give up in him and studies and interacts with his peers constantly. The last time I took Jasper in for her quarterly check up he said that Jasper would have been dead 10 years ago with out the care she has gotten.

Is your bird on a medication that helps to increase his circulation and reduce his blood pressure? Some of these medications, all of which Jasper has been on over the years, are - Enalipril, Benazipril and Sildenifil. The Sildenifil is her current ACE and blood pressure medication.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Bird bread can be a solution to their eating pellets. I make bird bread for Jasper and use pellets - a lot of them - in the bird bread along with green vegetables and specialty flours such as sweet potato flour (no white wheat regular flour), which gives her a low calorie nutritious food that she likes. I put Red Palm Oil in the bird bread.

For a low calorie diet you need to consider every thing you feed him.

glxpassat

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
So sorry for the diagnosis. :( Would he be interested in sprouted grains, legumes and seeds?
I'm very devastated. I got him because I was tired of pets dying. So I figured he would out live me. And it seems every time I get a rescue they end up (unbeknownst to me) getting sick and dying prematurely.

glxpassat

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Bird bread can be a solution to their eating pellets. I make bird bread for Jasper and use pellets - a lot of them - in the bird bread along with green vegetables and specialty flours such as sweet potato flour (no white wheat regular flour), which gives her a low calorie nutritious food that she likes. I put Red Palm Oil in the bird bread.

For a low calorie diet you need to consider every thing you feed him.
Could I get the recipe?

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I'm very devastated. I got him because I was tired of pets dying. So I figured he would out live me. And it seems every time I get a rescue they end up (unbeknownst to me) getting sick and dying prematurely.
Don't give up hope.

I'm not giving up on Secret.

You can do this.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Contact the companies and ask for samples (roudybush, zupreem, senior nutriberries). Explain the situation to them. The worst that can happen is they say no.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@glxpassat Well - there is no real recipe. I'm an old fashioned cook - a little of this, a little of that. I'll try though.

Grease a 9 x13 pan with melted Red Palm oil.
Heat oven to 350f

In a large bowl mix all dry ingredients;
2 cups of pellets
1 cup of Sweet potato flour
1 cup of dried chopped fruit (not mandatory - I get mine from Great Companions)
1 cup of Teff Flour
1 cup of a specialty flour - such as quinoa flour, amaranth flour, almond flour
1 cup of frozen mixed vegetables
3Tbs of aluminum free baking powder

Mix 1 egg with 1/4 cup of melted RPO and 1 to 2 cups of juice (whatever kind you want)

Mix the wet stuff into the dry stuff add moisture until the mixture has the same consistency as corn bread batter.
Pour into greased pan and level out with your spatula.

Cook as long as it takes (30 -50minutes) even longer maybe. Cook until you can no longer hear the noise of the batter and a toothpick pushed into the middle comes out clean.

Cool and cut into small squares and freeze all you won't use in 4/5 days.

You can get as creative as you want by adding spices or anything else as long as it's birdsafe and is not calorie heavy.

You can get specialty flours here Amazon.com: specilaty flour or my grocery store seems to have quite a few choices also.

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Sprouting the seeds changes the internal makeup of the seed.....the fat is used to help with the sprouting process. It may be worth a try...ask your vet.

SunUp

Avenue Veteran
My grey loves Zupreem Natural, but only when I soak it in hot water until the pellets are soft. They hold their shape even when soaked, and makes for a soft, warm, wet food that many birds really enjoy. I use a small custard bowl, heat the water in the microwave until it boils (about 40 seconds), then drop the pellets in. About 5 minutes or so later they are all plumped up. I drain off the water, let them cool for a moment (but they must be warm or she won't eat them!), then feed. Sometimes I feed from a spoon (my bird thinks this is the best way), or put in a dish. I've been feeding her this most days for breakfast for all her 18 years, and she stills gobbles them down. Might be worth a try.

ETA: Zupreem Natural is only 4% fat.

glxpassat

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Contact the companies and ask for samples (roudybush, zupreem, senior nutriberries). Explain the situation to them. The worst that can happen is they say no.
That's funny, I did this very thing already. I emailed them about 4 days back.

glxpassat

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Don't give up hope.

I'm not giving up on Secret.

You can do this.
Thank you. He is like one of my children. And I was under the impression he would out-live me. I have nerve damage from a really bad ATV accident, and when I'm in bed hurting, he cuddles with me; making me feel so much happier. Like my therapy bird

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Two of my birds have it. One of them was recently diagnosed and the vet who saw him suggested I add blueberries and pomegranate to his diet on a regular basis because they have compounds that are believed to help reduce heart disease.

Another method to convert him over, if you can get his weight up (and clear it with the vet just in case there are medical reasons that prevent you from trying) you might want to try a hard conversion where he gets nothing but the pellets you want him to eat. Roudybush has a pdf that outlines how along with some other ideas to try.

glxpassat

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Two of my birds have it. One of them was recently diagnosed and the vet who saw him suggested I add blueberries and pomegranate to his diet on a regular basis because they have compounds that are believed to help reduce heart disease.

Another method to convert him over, if you can get his weight up (and clear it with the vet just in case there are medical reasons that prevent you from trying) you might want to try a hard conversion where he gets nothing but the pellets you want him to eat. Roudybush has a pdf that outlines how along with some other ideas to try.
I'm feeding him blackberries, blueberries, and cherries on a regular basis. I was told to be careful with fruits, except berries. Those just like people are pretty much a free-for-all food.

I'm also putting him on the "TOP's" pellets, which are supposed be really good pellets for birds like my boy.