• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

DH wants me to clip Kazoo and I don't want to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I am in agreement here with all of you. I am now thinking that his time out to fly will be in my master bedroom. It is the longest part of the house, it's the entire backside of the house. He will have his cage in there eventually and have his gym and stuff to keep him busy. When he is out in the great room - open floor plan with vaulted ceilings and kitchen, he will more than likely have on a harness to keep him tethered if you want to say on the play top of the cage or he will be in it (Hoosier's cage)

It pains me to think about clipping his beautiful wings, nothing more sad to see then cut feathers. I am going to work on this one.

As we have all said that covering still does not protect the chairs he can bit right through it he wanted to.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Danita, you have hit the nail on the head! Exactly, just exact. He is starting to hate Kazoo, not good at all. He gives me $%#@ about it constantly, constantly and now he would never make me get rid of Kazoo, it is just something that has to be done sadly enough. He gets so mad at me because to me it's no big deal, so he says and I can agree with him, but it's hard to un-do something they have done.

:(
I hope it works out!
Nothing worse then a new table causing so much stress.

Daema

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kas
I agree with the others, clipping won't solve anything. I'd personally go with metal furniture or drape heavy or thick blankets over things I don't want chewed but are too big to frequently move.

And I just wanted to mention, towards John's comment, I'd originally planned on having a room strictly to the birds and they could just hang around in there most of the day, and we could come in there for a few hours so they have their personal time with us, but I realized that it isn't entirely fair to our birds to just have -a- room and to stay in it, and to have -some- time with us(though I realize a lot of time is bad, too, but it's not really bad if they're just around and not in our arms being cuddled), so I decided that they'll have the option to free roam the house.. well, most of it. Our bedroom will be untouched unless we're closely watching them, but the rest of the house they'll have access to, and they'll always be within sight, as well, since it's an open plan, there is no door between the kitchen and the den, and the only open bedroom is theirs, which they have free reign over. They can do whatever they want in there.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
And I just wanted to mention, towards John's comment, I'd originally planned on having a room strictly to the birds and they could just hang around in there most of the day, and we could come in there for a few hours so they have their personal time with us, but I realized that it isn't entirely fair to our birds to just have -a- room and to stay in it, and to have -some- time with us(though I realize a lot of time is bad, too, but it's not really bad if they're just around and not in our arms being cuddled), so I decided that they'll have the option to free roam the house.. well, most of it. Our bedroom will be untouched unless we're closely watching them, but the rest of the house they'll have access to, and they'll always be within sight, as well, since it's an open plan, there is no door between the kitchen and the den, and the only open bedroom is theirs, which they have free reign over. They can do whatever they want in there.
Your point is well taken and I had the same thoughts. "My" answer to that was to make their space include things that I needed to be able to hang out in there too and I do. They do get their one on one interaction and they've pretty well wrecked all the stuff in there but that's ok, that was to be expected. They don't have access to the finer things in the house or they wouldn't be fine anymore and the wife would have snapped a long time ago.

It's all about how you setup that environment. Basically I live with them. They don't live with me.

Daema

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kas
Your point is well taken and I had the same thoughts. "My" answer to that was to make their space include things that I needed to be able to hang out in there too and I do. They do get their one on one interaction and they've pretty well wrecked all the stuff in there but that's ok, that was to be expected. They don't have access to the finer things in the house or they wouldn't be fine anymore and the wife would have snapped a long time ago.

It's all about how you setup that environment. Basically I live with them. They don't live with me.
Yeah, we were thinking about putting a tv and a couch in the bird room with a plexiglass cover bolted around the tv to protect it, but I just think it's easier to let them have their room and free roam of the house.

You also reminded me a comment I wanted to make while reading through this.

Regarding spouses getting annoyed about a parrot's chewy behavior, I don't get it. I mean, I understand being frustrated about it, because you worked for it, but my thought process is, you're with a -bird-. It's to be expected. Modify your life to accommodate that or find a way to keep your things from being chewed that's beneficial for -both- of you, not just you, but the bird, too. Me and my fiance? Yeah, we have things that can easily be destroyed, but we either keep that in our bedroom(reason why it's only available if strictly supervised), or just.. don't care. We know they're birds, we know things will be chewed on, we expect that to happen, just as we expect Nirmala to develop a habit of screaming, and that's ok. She doesn't now, and she hasn't the whole time I've known her, but who knows what could happen years down the road. At any rate, yes, I may get a little frustrated if it's something I really like, but.. She's my girl. She's our girl. Neither of us could ever stay upset at her, and same will go for the others once I have them payed off, and for any future feathery family we may bring in.

I think it's a situation where, like with dogs, you think it's cute until it becomes a constant irritant or problem. You or someone, whatever it is, I think that's the relatable situation. For spouses that don't seem to understand that a bird is a bird(isabirdisabird), I think they don't really think about that big picture until they're in a situation where they're living with the bird, they're upset, and they're wanting a quick fix just so they won't be so bugged about it anymore, and that fix may not be what's best for both them and the bird. I know none of us here want to sacrifice the happiness and well being of our birds, and, at the same time, we don't want our significant other to be upset, either, hence why I say it's important to find a solution that's best for your other, and that's best for the bird.

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
I wish the OP good luck and hope your husband learns to understand and tolerate a bit more. I have no advice for you in that respect but just wanted to throw this out...not to sidetrack this thread but I’d be careful of that linked article and it’s author. He doesn’t provide any references or studies to back up what he’s saying and (according to his biography) he doesn’t have the qualifications to write an article about parrot neurology. Most, if not all, of the articles on his website are authored by him. His website claims “scientifically based information” but I don’t see any of that and I have books written by scientists - all contain pretty extensive “Notes,” “Bibliography,” or “Further reading” sections. All common to science writers. “Who did the study, how and when” is easy to find if it’s true science. He's a lay-person trying to justify his personal opinion it seems. It's ok, he's entitled to it but I'm also entitled to not give what he says the time of day.

A better source (and there are many) for the neurology of thought, flight, learning and more, in birds is the new book “Gifts of the Crow.” It’s about corvids primarily (and other clever species) and goes into great detail with many references and diagrams. Great books about animal neurology, genetics, etc. include authors such as Jonathan Balcombe PhD and Temple Grandin PhD. Again, all of which cite many sources and studies. It's important who we chose to learn from/listen to and to question what is backing what they say. Just because it's well written, sounds like it might be true/logical and it's what we want to hear doesn't make it true. Sorry, a pet-peeve of mine is so much word-spinning by internet authors who seem to have more to say than studies have been done.

Last edited:

Vegemite

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lynne
I agree with the others. Over here you can buy ready-made chair and table covers (or if you are handy, make your own). Leave them on unless you get visitors (cos usually they arent the prettiest of things). Good luck.

stephwin

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Stephanie
I don't know how big your table is, but we have a huge cover for our outdoor patio furniture that goes all the way to the ground. We have a large table and 6 chairs, so it's a decent size. It's really thick canvas material so that it can withstand the outside elements, but you would need to check to make sure it doesn't have anything toxic on it. But since it goes all the way to the floor, it might be helpful in you situation. It takes a couple of minutes to put on. You could just roll it up and store it in a cabinet when you're not using it.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Thank you all for the comments and suggestions. We didn't pick up the table since it was raining. The chairs are the issue, the back tops of them that could get chewed. I am going to keep him as he is for now, and put his cage in my master where he will have his own place. As for flight, that can and still will happen, I have decided that he will not be out and about in the great room to fly and land on the chairs. I am going to work on the best situation for him and for us. He will just have to be caged while in the great room and it's okay because he is usually busy in there with us around.

I am going to ensure that he can fly around, burn those carbs and expell his built up energy.

Thanks guys :hug8:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
We have those black chairs too, each chair has a chunk out of it :eek:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
We have those black chairs too, each chair has a chunk out of it :eek:
Well I get yelled at every time something gets chewed. I can see how DH feels honestly I do. I would love nothing more than a designer house but that is not going to happen with 2 cats, 3 dogs and 2 parrots. Not anytime soon, that is! But our house is very nice, as is our furniture etc. etc. I just really need to watch Kazoo!

And for the one comment about knowing what parrots are capable of sure am. So is the DH but I have to respect him and his feelings. The last thing on earth I would want to do to either parrot is clip but it came up in comment and I listened. Kazoo will be fine if he cannot be out loose in this area. I will ensure he will fly and excercise, he just cannot be on his own even with supervision. He can fly skillfully and land on a dime. It takes one second after he lands to bite the chair, I know him like a book after 3 yrs.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Can you get furniture covers? Cover everything when he is out:)

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Whenever you get frustrated and just want to clip him, think about what it would be like living with that spit fire if he had no outlet for all that energy! Somehow I feel like that wouldn't be easy either. :)

What about an outdoor aviary or flying him outside in his harness? If you really burn off his energy, maybe he'll take a nap when you bring him inside. Or maybe that's wishful thinking. :lol:

Lene

Strolling the yard
Surely there must be something around a parrot would rather chew than new furniture...

I'm so glad I live alone with my birds, and not having someone tell me what they can and cannot do...

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Mercedez, I am going to look into canvas covers to see if I can cover the chair tops.

Ellen, I don't get frustrated with them at all. It is the other half that does and I hear it. Clipping my parrots is something I hate, I cannot stand to see a bird who knows how to fly flop to the ground because they cannot. The idea to do it was Dave's and I cannot do it, he will just learn that he cannot be loose in this room, changing a way of life. Yes and aviary has come to mind here and maybe someday they will have an enclosure off or on the back deck.

Lene, there are alot of things he can chew. He has all the toys, foot toys and foraging but in his cage. He is a hyper active bird, stubborn and completely different from my other Amazon who is mellow, sweet and who is not destructive. Kazoo is just go, go, go.

When you choose to live life with others, regardless if you have dogs, cats, fish, birds, horses, mice etc. there is always going to be that fine line where life sometimes has boundries where we say "we are so glad to live alone so we cannot be told what to do" great notion, trust me I am the first Person to tell someone to go pound it. But when you are with someone, in any relationship unless you are a demanding and bossy Person, chances are your other half may not say a word and sit back and take the ride. Then there are others who love and respect you but also may have an issue. If it is animal related, you still have to view all sides of it and with the respect you have for your sig other, sometimes changes have to be made. It isn't such as being told what to do, that is why some relationships work because there has to be a middle ground.

It is not like Kazoo destroyed on thing. It has been remotes, cables, chairs, the fridge seal on the old one, he has chewed the couch at one time while walking around on it. So knowing the capabilities of what he is able to do in such little time in the matter of a second or two is just amazing. Able to get around, fly and hop only if you could see this you would understand.

I live with a busy Green Too in reality.

Didomum

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Diana
Have you thought of covering the chairs with something very slippery, like plastic? With the idea if it's to slippery to land not worth the chew. I know it's not easy, happy hubby or happy pet hope you fine the balance.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

When you choose to live life with others, regardless if you have dogs, cats, fish, birds, horses, mice etc. there is always going to be that fine line where life sometimes has boundries where we say "we are so glad to live alone so we cannot be told what to do" great notion, trust me I am the first Person to tell someone to go pound it. But when you are with someone, in any relationship unless you are a demanding and bossy Person, chances are your other half may not say a word and sit back and take the ride. Then there are others who love and respect you but also may have an issue. If it is animal related, you still have to view all sides of it and with the respect you have for your sig other, sometimes changes have to be made. It isn't such as being told what to do, that is why some relationships work because there has to be a middle ground.
Hear, hear! Well said. A relationship is a two way street, and when it is also your husbands stuff getting destroyed, he is allowed to get frustrated :) When you see your hard earned money being turned into toothpicks, its hard not to! Hubby suggested clipping, but you are looking for other solutions. That, dear friends, is called a compromise, and is part of a healthy way to deal with problems when living with someone! :hug8:You keep doing what you are doing! You'll work it out, I'm sure of it.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
You know, I gave up having nice things a long time ago!;) Seriously though, even if you clip him, it's not going to stop him from going over to that lovely table and chair set and having his way with it. Clipping, not clipping, it's just not going to matter and clipping is just going to frustrate him and leave him with less ways to exercise and get rid of his excess energy. I'd find a different place to put the cages and watch him like a hawk when he's out...what other choice do you have?

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Exactly, he likes that the birds are flighted, he knows of the importance of the health aspect. But out of frustration that was said. He likes Kazoo and vise versa, I mean Kazoo fly's over to him and lands on him. So yes, Kazoo is handled easily. Right now, he is in Hoosier's cage and he is fine. Preening, mostly right now and quiet. Hoosier is outside right nearby preening too hanging on the small atom.

So it is apparent he will be fine in there while out in the household. It is not a punishment more of a containment to keep him in check. He was out the last hour flying around, landing on the chairs where I am on the computer.

It will work out, I just have to find heavy duty canvas covers possibly the type you can find for outdoor furniture or even marine type covers if they are made for chairs or fishing chairs.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
You know, I gave up having nice things a long time ago!;) Seriously though, even if you clip him, it's not going to stop him from going over to that lovely table and chair set and having his way with it. Clipping, not clipping, it's just not going to matter and clipping is just going to frustrate him and leave him with less ways to exercise and get rid of his excess energy. I'd find a different place to put the cages and watch him like a hawk when he's out...what other choice do you have?
He is a ground walker too so there is no stopping him. :eek: Now, thinking of the tables base now I have cats with claws on my mind too that god forbid they use it for sharpening. Nitto has done a job on the cabinets in some spots :rolleyes: I am going to cut their claws and I will say even having cats with claws, scratch pads they find and alternative thing. Like we all agree it is what happens living with animals. My cats are not declawed and never will be. I just have to make provisions with everyone like keeping their claws trimmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.