• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

DH wants me to clip Kazoo and I don't want to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Oh and last night...................

Dave cracked a blade on the ceiling fan, broke the light fixture with glass everywhere in our other spare bedroom with his remote helicopter that went nuts..............and a few weeks ago when his 32 (gun) dishcharged by accident and the bullet went through the cabinet facia, the SS sink in one side, out the other I kindly reminded him that he had the nerve to tell me Kazoo is ruining things when you yourself has ruined things!

Yes, living with someone and still having to let some things go.................needless to say I am like WTH here and OMG at the same time atleast I get to re-face the cabinets, new sink, new counter and he doesn't know yet but the I get to re-do my kitchen for his idiocy with that *&^% gun incident.

Yeah, living with others can be quite the excitement, the annoyance etc. now we have to think about what they say about US after we sit back and see the bad that they do. Everyone has to compromise, if we all kept to ourselves and had said how glad we are to live alone so we cannot be told what to do, life would surely be boring. :highfive:

Lene

Strolling the yard
Oh and last night...................

Dave cracked a blade on the ceiling fan, broke the light fixture with glass everywhere in our other spare bedroom with his remote helicopter that went nuts..............and a few weeks ago when his 32 (gun) dishcharged by accident and the bullet went through the cabinet facia, the SS sink in one side, out the other I kindly reminded him that he had the nerve to tell me Kazoo is ruining things when you yourself has ruined things!

Yes, living with someone and still having to let some things go.................needless to say I am like WTH here and OMG at the same time atleast I get to re-face the cabinets, new sink, new counter and he doesn't know yet but the I get to re-do my kitchen for his idiocy with that *&^% gun incident.

Yeah, living with others can be quite the excitement, the annoyance etc. now we have to think about what they say about US after we sit back and see the bad that they do. Everyone has to compromise, if we all kept to ourselves and had said how glad we are to live alone so we cannot be told what to do, life would surely be boring. :highfive:
I'm sorry if I offended you, but after being in a couple of abusive relationships and a marriage, where I was cheated on, I'm happy being on my own... I'm 60+ years old, and I find it extremely calming that I only have to answer to my animals... I work full time with intellectually disabled people, so along with my animals my life is far from boring...

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Lene, I so understand that....if I could do it all over again I would live alone too!!!!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I'm sorry if I offended you, but after being in a couple of abusive relationships and a marriage, where I was cheated on, I'm happy being on my own... I'm 60+ years old, and I find it extremely calming that I only have to answer to my animals... I work full time with intellectually disabled people, so along with my animals my life is far from boring...
I was not offended by that but simply wanted to point out the other side of the equation so others would also understand the difference of compromise of what it takes to make things work out. Many spouses are not like us with having alot of animals, sometimes the toleration level is extremely hard for them to understand, me on the other hand would have even more than I have now with more dogs, cats and parrots. I am often reminded by the comment that we have too many pets now.

I don't like to be told what to do either, nobody does. Being told in a suggestive way is one thing, but being told in a way that like you say is abusive by someone demanding only seeing one side is someone I could never be with. Like I said before, I would be the first person to tell someone to pound it. :)

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
You say all his toys are inside his cage. Is it possible to get some fun playstands? :)

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
You say all his toys are inside his cage. Is it possible to get some fun playstands? :)
Mercedez see my photo in the photo section. He was happily out from 8-1 after his shower he was playing with wood parts and a pinecone. :D All three of my cages all have playtops with toys and treats, food and water.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I just wanted to say that I totally get the need to compromise. My husband is awesome. He is very tolerant of my animals (10 dogs, 2 cats, 13 birds + 3 doves in my outdoor aviary), but he has limits. The other day we were driving and saw a creepy guy holding a tiny puppy by the scruff of the neck and waving him in the air on the side of the road while we were at a red light. I asked what he was doing and he said, "for sale". I gave him $30 for the puppy before the light turned green. Please no criticism about that, I did what I felt I needed to do in that moment to get that pup safe. He is now in our rescue program and will get a fabulous home. But, Rick just said, "OMG< what are you doing?!" and I was like, "I have to, please don't be mad!" and he wasn't:o: By this time, he knows that at any time I could come home with a rescue and he has learned to accept it. He tries very hard, but there are things he can't cope with. Screaming birds is one of them, so I don't keep species that would get too loud. I want what I want, but I don't want him to not be happy in his own home, so it is always a compromise.

I was not offended by that but simply wanted to point out the other side of the equation so others would also understand the difference of compromise of what it takes to make things work out. Many spouses are not like us with having alot of animals, sometimes the toleration level is extremely hard for them to understand, me on the other hand would have even more than I have now with more dogs, cats and parrots. I am often reminded by the comment that we have too many pets now.

I don't like to be told what to do either, nobody does. Being told in a suggestive way is one thing, but being told in a way that like you say is abusive by someone demanding only seeing one side is someone I could never be with. Like I said before, I would be the first person to tell someone to pound it. :)

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
:wow: hasn't this thread cranked up a notch or two :atomic:. From attempting to protect a new dining setting, to scientific analysis and guns being discharged! :scared1: I am going to forward another suggestion to attempt to assist you on the bird front, but the dynamics of the relationship between you and DH is something for you to address. :p Have you thought about building an aviary that you can put Kazoo and Hoosier for 4-6 hours a day to burn off some of that excess energy and then bring them in later in the day? I'm fairly sure that Casey (Vampstorso) does this with Harvey, her RTB2. May I suggest that you PM her to confirm that this is in fact what she does and how well it works, but keep it brief to just what you are attempting to achieve. ;) However, please remember that I'm pretty sure that she has had Harvey in this routine since day 1, so if you choose to go this route both you and your birds will need to go through an adjustment period. :)

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Yes, the thought of an aviary is on my mind. Even if flight is achieved in the house as it has been, that is fine too. It is the landing on the chair that cannot be allowed. I am sitting at the new table we got it today. He is happily chilling out in Hoosier's cage and Hoosier is out. He is not an issue, Kazoo is.

So far, so good, cats claws have been clipped already. I am going to take it day by day and see how it goes. Yes, the gun went off stupidly on his behalf but their was one round in the clip. And there was a safety on it as well. Trust me, his error is going to cost him with a new kitchen basically. :D

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mercedez see my photo in the photo section. He was happily out from 8-1 after his shower he was playing with wood parts and a pinecone. :D All three of my cages all have playtops with toys and treats, food and water.
Do they have play areas away from the cages? My birds have always enjoyed their space separate from their cages-- play trees, boings, etc. More things like that throughout the house and maybe he could be rewarded when he flies or stays there instead.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Do they have play areas away from the cages? My birds have always enjoyed their space separate from their cages-- play trees, boings, etc. More things like that throughout the house and maybe he could be rewarded when he flies or stays there instead.
The issue is he does not stay put. He is a very active bird, nothing like Hoosier is. He at times does settle down and hang out on the back of Dave's recliner. Or he will stay put if Hoosier is preening him or vise versa. He has been very good today, he has been very busy in the cage. If and when he wants out, he will be climbing all over and sometimes yelling. None of that today so far, it's almost dark now.

They do have a play area in my Bedroom, and a tri swing from Crystal but they don't seem to like it. So far not a word from DH on the clipping issue. It isn't gonna happen, as long as we can train him to stay away from the chairs there will be no issue.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Well today I brought out his tri swing on the stand I had in my BR. So far he stayed on it a while chewing up the wood. He has been out most of the day and did some good flying from my BR around the great room. A few times he landed on the chair and within my view I was right nearby to get him off. I am thinking he is learning that the chairs are a no go place for him. He will learn, so far so good!

I am also going to order a play area/stand that will be another place to go hear the table so he can learn that he needs to be off the chairs and can still join us when we sit down to eat but he will have his own place.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Claire, what about trying a clicker?
I didn't think of that but if they see the water gun they both know it's time to fly off before they get a squirt. :rofl:

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How about putting some aluminum foil on the chairs, that way he might not like the feel when he lands, and you would hear him on landing, that stuff is loud :)

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Teresa, I have the feeling that he will learn not to land there. He is very smart. He can be taught that is an off place to go. Just as the two of them have learned that the mantle is a no parrot zone. It's gonna work, I have no doubt he is that smart and he will learn.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Teresa, I have the feeling that he will learn not to land there. He is very smart. He can be taught that is an off place to go. Just as the two of them have learned that the mantle is a no parrot zone. It's gonna work, I have no doubt he is that smart and he will learn.
Yours sounds more willing to please. Darwin is smart but he doesn't care that I don't want him on one side of the counter! :rolleyes:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire

Yours sounds more willing to please. Darwin is smart but he doesn't care that I don't want him on one side of the counter! :rolleyes:
Well they are very smart. I know mine are, both of them are smart enough to know me by my name and think to call me, then they can surely think before landing in the no parrot zone. :D

They have both been out for 2 hours now. Everyone is being very busy and both are being very good boys.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.