• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dexter's big emergency - could have died!

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Five days ago, I was hand feeding dexter, my six month umbrella cockatoo. I use a 1.5" piece of tubing on the end of the syringe to reduce the mess. It allows me to insert the food deeper in his beak ( I do not tube feed him). The tubing is the kind used with aquariums/iv's/oxygen masks. It was soft and clear. The tubing is normally very tight on the syringe, but it slowly gets looser after a few weeks, which is when I replace it.

When I was feeding dexter, the tube became loose. When I removed the syringe from his mouth, he continued to Bob and pulled off the tube. Dexter swallowed the tube with his formula. I no longer had access to money to pay very bills on my own (I did when I got him, and thought the access would remain permanent) so I could not rush dexter to the vet that night (it was 9pm).

My uncle (not rich, but able and willing to pay the vet bills) took me to the vet the next day. By this point, Dexter hadn't made a sound since that night, and refused to eat solid food, though he ate some formula. He had only pooped one that day, there were no solids. He had become lethargic. I thought I could feel the tube in his crop, as did the vet. They put him under and tried to remove the tube. What we felt was his trachea. When they couldn't find the tube, they took xrays, and said they couldn't find anything on the xrays. The vet told me to watch for increased lethargy, and signs of intestinal distress

Two days after that, I had a semi cross country trip, we moved from Colorado to indiana. In that time, dexter's poop was black, a sign of internal bleeding. Dexter became even more lethargic. Over the course of 4 days, Dexter ate 19 cc's of formula total. He drank fine.

Because of this, I rushed Dexter to the vet as soon as I arrived in Indiana (it'd been sooner, but my ride would've been fired from their job if we got back a day late) . They looked at the xray's I brought and saw the tube right away (I'm not sure why the first vet didn't see it) they removed it with an endoscope through an incision in his crop.

The tube had gone from soft and clear to solid black and very hard. It was clear the tube was a definite hazard, and would absolutely puncture his organs. Dexter not eating solid foods was a good anything hard would make the tube tear him up.

The tube was wedged where the proventriculis meets his ventriculis, blocking the solid foods. Dexter got seven stiches and clearly felt better right away. He still doesn't want to eat his adult food, but the vet suspects he will when he feels better. I've had him back a day since the surgery, and he looks very happy.

Dexter could have easily died after swallowing that tube, even though it was soft at the time. There was no chance if him surviving that if I had done nothing.

I will do my best to add a copy of the xray showing the tube (I haven't seen it myself) and an image of the tube after it was retrieved.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Wow!! I'm glad Dexter is okay. That must been quite a scare for both of you!!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Yikes, how scary and what an ordeal! I'm glad Dexter is better, and that the new vet was able to see the tube. It's too bad the first vet didn't see it. I hope Dexter makes a full recovery!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm glad Dexter is okay.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's good that Dexter is OK. That's a very scary situation.

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
So Happy Dexter is doing much better, :heart: that is very scary indeed!

Welcome to Indiana. :D

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
If he's eating baby food, he's eating and getting better. Scary story. Glad you were on top of it.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I am glad that Dexter is ok! How scary.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The first vet probably really couldn't see the tube in the xray. It had only been there a short time and was not changed in color or density yet. There fore it would be like seeing a pane of glass in water.

I'm so glad that everything turned out well.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Wow! Scary! Glad we have a happy ending. :sadhug2:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Babies fed with a tube are harder to get weaned as they don't have that mess in their mouths to learn to lick and swallow.

I have a credit card solely for bird vet emergencies, I also have a care credit card if need be. It can only be used for medical use.

Glad your sweetie is alright.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
So glad Dexter is ok.

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
[QUOTE="Macawnutz, post: 2683169, member: 4691"

I have a credit card solely for bird vet emergencies, I also have a care credit card if need be. It can only be used for medical use.
[/QUOTE]

I have 2 accounts one for each and insurance so never have to stress about it.

@HolliDaze omg im so glad hes ok. Thats so scary.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Actually, the second vet didn't take additional xrays. They could see the tube on the same xrays the first vet took.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Okay. I'm a bit miffed. I finally looked at the xrays the first vet took. They told me they couldn't see the tube on the xrays. The only excuse for this I can think of is that it looks kinda like a bone on the xray. I see why the second vet was so confused when they looked at the same image and heard vet #1 couldn't find it. (Circle included should there be any confusion) the area dropped off the image was dexter's collarbone and neck and wings.

Attachments

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I missed (somehow-DUH) that both vets had looked at the same xray. That is pretty, actually very, obvious.

Poor baby - must have been very uncomfortable.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I replied to your other thread, glad he' ok,,I had that happen to a pigeon that I was tube feeding, the tube came off and was in his crop..thankfully the crop was full and I worked it up till I saw it sticking out his throat and pulled it out.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Wow, that seems hard to miss!