• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Dexter vomited/regurgitated

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Dexter seemed a bit irritated today, and he just spat up some food while I was holding him. It looks like a paste of hi s red pellets (his fav) mixed with water (he makes soup). He doesn't seem distressed (though I'm not sure if he would be). He's about 20-21 months old now, so he's way too young to be feeding me right? I dont have the money right now but I will borrow it if I need to take him to the vet. As I have said here several times, he is my world. I've told family and friends to put me on suicide watch should he die in the past. Is it at all possible that he's okay, or do i need to borrow?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Did he bring it himself or did he bring it up while shaking his head back and forth? Babies do practice behaviors they will use when they get older, including regurgitation.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Call your vet and ask if you can pick up a culture swab. If he continues to do this gather a sample of the regurgitated material and drop it off at your vets office. It shouldn't cost that much and can at least tell you if he has any bacterial issues going on. Not to substitute for a real exam but unless it's constant he may not do that at the vets office and they'll have to do something more invasive to find out if he has a health issue. This was the case with Lola when she was a baby. She was on comfort feedings when I brought her home and she would vomit/regurgitate some of the formula after feeding. I knew it wasn't right, she didn't do it at the vets so I took a culture swab home with me and collected a sample and took it back. She had a pseudomonas bacteria and had to be treated with antibiotics. Make sure his water cup is thoroughly washed every day and keep an eye on his food provided. Maybe he's having a reaction to the red colorant in the food and you can switch him over to the natural colored pellets.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Did he bring it himself or did he bring it up while shaking his head back and forth? Babies do practice behaviors they will use when they get older, including regurgitation.
It looked like videos I've seen of birds feeding their owners. He sorta bobbed his head, doing a weird dance.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
When Pippin was ill and regurgitating, it resembled the normal head-bobbing, but the food that he brought up would kind of spill out of his beak. It was actually how I picked up on him being ill - I could hear it hitting the paper and thought, "he sure is pooping a lot.. for 12 am..." It wasn't vomiting - he wasn't shaking his head from side to side, but it was definitely abnormal regurgitation.

As long as Dexter is eating and pooping normally, isn't lethargic or sleepy, and either swallows down or "deposits" the regurgitation on something, it's unlikely to be anything sinister. Just keep an eye on him.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Bowser started regurgitating for me as a baby and has continued it even though I try to discourage it.
I did have bowser get a full exam the first time he did it just to make sure it wasn’t an infection as it had a slightly sour smell to it. But it was just plain regurge.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
This doesn't mean he has a mate bond with me, right? I mean, I don't mind, but I had expected he wouldn't because I hand fed him. He's also still a baby. He seems to prefer other women over me, even my younger brother is more appealing of a playmate when he's out in the living room.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
This doesn't mean he has a mate bond with me, right? I mean, I don't mind, but I had expected he wouldn't because I hand fed him. He's also still a baby. He seems to prefer other women over me, even my younger brother is more appealing of a playmate when he's out in the living room.
I don’t think so, at least not from my experience. Bowser has always regurgitated for me when I redo his aviary in new toys for example. It’s like he’s so happy he has to regurge and then he goes about his day playing lol. No weird mate area touching or actions, just the regurgitating and then business as usual. He also does it when I make a fresh loaf of bird bread. It seems to be his way of showing gratefulness/joy vs a mate thing, at least right now.
I also handfed him for about a year when he regressed from trauma. I am wary for hormone season lol, but for now, the way I read him is it’s just bird speak for “thanks.”

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's not always about a mate bond. Ripley tries to feed me whenever I feed him :lol: and for juvenile birds they will often regurgitate for their parents just for practice.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Burt has been regurgitating for me and all his favorite toys for many months now and he is just over 11 months old. I do try to discourage it but every now and then he actually feeds my hair while he is sitting on the chair back that I am sitting on.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
So far for mine...

Head bobbing and a bit of mixed food with no other symptoms or sour smell has been regurgitating.

Sour smell has been a yeast infection and bacterial.

Head bobbing, throwing up a lot of stuff and then shaking their head side to side to get rid of it was a bacterial infection. You could tell he wanted to get rid of nasty stuff.

Projectile vomiting and continued vomiting in two instances, liver failure and seriously ill with liver complications. I mean when you see it happen, it's like OMG I've never seen anything like that and you know you have to go to the vet.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen