• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

DeShedding Tool/Brush

Mitzi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle "Mitzi"
Do any of you use a FURminator or like deshedding brush? I've heard they can ruin your aussies coat, but not sure if true. My 7 year old mini is leaving tumbleweed hair ball all over the house, we clean daily! It seems the hairballs are worse this year, but could be we have all tile wood look flooring now. May be I am just noticing all the hair because of the flooring! LOL I brush her with a slicker brush, undercoat rake, and flea comb ever day. When I bath her I let air dry after the towel, as she is afraid of the hair dryer.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Our GSD is shedding like crazy now too. When I got up this morning all around her bed it looked like some one took shears to her. There was a circle of hair that was not there when we all went to bed. :lol:We just use a regular dog brush though.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I use a regular dog brush all over and a furminator for the big clumpy bits.
I don´t use the furminator on the tail, and I use as instructed - separate the fur and comb, not just use it like a normal brush. It is very time consuming...

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think its just part of owning that type of dog. My sheltie is going through her first major shed. She leaves clumps of hair all over the place. Sometimes I even have to vacuum my bed sheets before washing to get the hair off. My previous sheltie left clumps of hair all over too. I do have a furminator de-shedding tool, however, its only good for one swipe and I have to pull hair out of it. Not efficient. I use a standard pin brush for most areas first, then go through with a fine tooth comb. The only furminator tool that I use frequently is the mat removal tool around the ears and when my springer comes in with a bunch of burrs all over him. Mine seems to be shedding clumps of hair out of her "pants" right now.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I generally use a regular long tooth undercoat rake and occasionally one other type for brushing out hair. Previous dog was an akita (pit?) mix with medium-short fur. Rake worked great when he was shedding his coat. Current pup is a husky (malamute?) mix with medium length fur, and the rake worked great there as well.

I've heard great things about the Furminature, but it probably would have been bad for both dog's coats, considering their breeds.

Mitzi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle "Mitzi"
I think I'll just stick to the flea comb, rake, and slicker brush. I'll just work a little longer with the comb and lift hair up so make sure I'll getting to the undercoat. Thanks everyone for your replies.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
We have one those furminator tools- it works wonders on my rott. She has a really thick coat, although most rotts do, in my experience. It's kind of annoying to have to remove hair every stroke, but nothing is as effective in getting hair out. I follow it with a slicker brush after, to smooth out the coat.

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Furminators are absolutely wonderful on short-haired breeds, where a regular bristle brush simply won't grab anything, but for longer fur, the bristle brush is a much better option.