• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Derbyan vs Mustache

Nanette

Checking out the neighborhood
Besides their size, the good and bad as pets and male and female? Thanks!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope someone can answer you but I don't think a lot of people here have either. And I don't think anyone here has both but I might be mistaken. I've always thought of them as being extremely similar but people with them might think differently. I think they're both lovely birds. Years ago I almost got a Derbyan from a rescue but he got adopted before I could do so.

Cazcooky

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carol
I am interested in anyone's experience with the Derbyan. It is between Derbyan and Eclectus that I am trying to decide.

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I've met a male and female and they were both extremely sweet, but not affectionate. However I have never owned one so I can't give personal experience

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
The size is quite different and the Derbyan chews a LOT more. The Derbyan is basically a chewing machine! The Moustache is basically the size of an IRN and similar in personality I would say but I've only known one of each and both were male. I know that they are both very hard to find. It's been a while but I would say that the Derbyan was more the size of an Alexandrine. They are both absolutely stunning birds, at least the males were, I've never met a female of either species.

rick_s0910

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
"Rick" Ricardo
jmfleish hit the nail right on the head! I own a pair of Moustached Parakeets and have a spare male and a pair of Derbyan Parakeets and have a spare female. I got them as breeders, but interact with them daily. The MPs are much more curious and talk up a storm! The are much more quiet than the Derbyans but neither are as loud as my Quakers. Both do burst out a loud call at random! Derbyans being chewers is no joke lol. They will destroy anything, very quick. MPs have a pink/salmon breast while Derbyans are lavender/purple. Derbys are huge! I'd say a little over 2Xs the size of the MPs. (You can see how big the Derbyan is in the small 24x16 travel cage) 20170503_004853.png 20170330_164011.jpg 20170526_133528.jpg 20170526_133648.jpg 20170808_120959.jpg

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
jmfleish hit the nail right on the head! I own a pair of Moustached Parakeets and have a spare male and a pair of Derbyan Parakeets and have a spare female. I got them as breeders, but interact with them daily. The MPs are much more curious and talk up a storm! The are much more quiet than the Derbyans but neither are as loud as my Quakers. Both do burst out a loud call at random! Derbyans being chewers is no joke lol. They will destroy anything, very quick. MPs have a pink/salmon breast while Derbyans are lavender/purple. Derbys are huge! I'd say a little over 2Xs the size of the MPs. (You can see how big the Derbyan is in the small 24x16 travel cage) View attachment 255306 View attachment 255309 View attachment 255311 View attachment 255312 View attachment 255313
Oh my goodness! They are both just beautiful! We need more pics! Are you breeding them? Both are so hard to find!:)

rick_s0910

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
"Rick" Ricardo
I hope they breed! We wanted pets but had no luck finding a Derbyan. Our Moustached Parakeet breeder hen actually turned out to be very tame! The previous owner had no idea!

Rolanda

I have a MP, Beaksey. He is a sweetheart, talks pretty clearly. He is not particularly cuddly. He DOES display his wants very well. He also has a strong personality and will bluff at you if he's not particularly interested in stepping up. I ignore it. He LOVES me (knows I'm MOMMY), but my son is his favorite person. He makes that well known: he snuggles into his neck and mumbles to him and is usually content just to be on him no matter what else is going on. In general he's very mild mannered. He's usually only flustered when our lovebird is bothering him. He'll usually just get away from him and not bite him. I don't consider him aggressive, but I think if he had to he would be tough. I've been bitten when trying to towel him once and that beak isn't tiny.

SamandWilley

Walking the driveway
Real Name
DeAnna
Both species are beautiful! It looks like you take very good care of them! I do hope you are able to get them to breed. We need more of both in the world.

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
What beautiful birds they are. Gorgeous coloring all of them. I know I've never seen a Derbyan in person before.

Yasmkay

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Yasmin Morgan-Kay
I have a stunning young female Derbyan. She’s not settled in properly yet but her personality is coming out in floods. She’s noisy as hell when she wants to come out, she’s nasty as hell when she doesn’t want to do something. But when she’s up for it, she’s super cuddly. That’s just what she’s showing after having her a week baring in mind she’s been unhandled for the first 7months of her life and I’ve had her about 9/10 days. She’s coming around very quickly. She’s getting chatty. And very quick to scream if she doesn’t like something.

But they’re super intelligent. I spilled her bag of seed under my bed and ever since I did whenever she wants some, she makes a racket until I open the cage and she can jump down and eat the seeds.

Attachments