• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Deformed Feet?

Justin Lewis

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello,

I am new to AA, and I am looking for help about a concern with my 1 year old cockatiel. Both of her feet seem to be pretty badly misshapen as the toes are bent and/or curved out of place. I’m certain that this is not an injury as she was born like this, but it seems to have gotten a bit worse with time.

I’m not sure whether or not it’s actually a deformity, but her feet look very different as opposed to her sister’s. It’s also worth noting that she can still perch normally and move about her cage with no problems whatsoever, but I thought it was worth looking into.

If anyone knows anything or can give me some advice i’d be very grateful.

Thanks,
Justin

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can we see a picture? Hard to say anything without one.

Justin Lewis

Checking out the neighborhood
F23D7A57-D2EB-4AAE-9F74-D5DE49ACEF45.jpeg

Sorry for the quality, and it’s hard to get them together, but you can see what I believe are normal feet on the left and some pretty strange stuff happening on the right.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah, that looks like a birth defect. As long as your bird can function normally, I don't think you need to do anything about it?

Btw, your birds are both boys ;)

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Get some different perches in there. Those dowels are hard on the tootsies. It may help to get some different sized, natural perches.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Also add some platforms. Are all the cage bars vertical? If he tries to climb would be easier with horizontal bars. Are there any ladders in the cage?

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
That’s a handsome pair of boys you have there!!!

At this point It doesn’t seem like anything medical needs to be done, just keep an eye on his feet to make sure that he’s not developing sores or wearing the skin thin from perching abnormally

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Agree with the others.... you have two boys.

Better perches may help and you may even try some "birdy massage" or stretches to help flex those toes out. I wont guarantee it'll help but it could be worth a try.