• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Declawing Cats

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
My cat, Harper, is very playful. And when she plays, she tends to scratch and bite. My mother, father, and sister all want to get her declawed. I, however, am 100% totally against it. I personally think that declawing a cat is a cruel thing to do. (No offense if your cat is declawed)

Harper is a 6 month old female kitten, and we have had her since she was about a week old. She thinks my sister is her playmate, since she grew up playing with her. Because of this, she constantly tries to pounce and play with her, usually resulting in my sister getting scratched. The thing is, Ellie encourages her. Then when she scratches her, she thrashes around and screams, making Harper think she is playing.

Instead of taking away from the problem, I think we should try and fix it. But, "Oh no!! That won't work! Declawing is totally the answer!" :grumpy:

So, in defense of my kitty, I am going to put together some sort of paper or presentation on why I think declawing is bad, and what we can do to stop her scratching instead of declawing her.

I was hoping that those of you who are against declawing could give me advise on what to say and do to change my parents minds?

(NOTE: I just wanted to add that Harper is not allowed anywhere near any of my birds, and is put in her 'room' whenever we leave the house, or when the birds are out. I don't want any of you to think they are allowed to have contact!)

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
I would never do that! but perhaps Lois can give you some facts on as to WHY you should not declaw your cat. ... @Laurul Feather Cat

Last edited:

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
I wish you luck in convincing them! :)
Just an experience, I had a friend who declawed her cat- he died during surgery. :(

Hrtofau2

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
It is not fair to punish a cat because people have not taught her how to play correctly....JMHO. Declawing can cause litter box problems with some cats, as their feet can become hyper sensitive. Declawing her will NOT stop her from biting....which is a part of the problem.

A possible solution for you very well might be soft paws. It is an alternative to declawing. It is basicly "fake nails" for your cat that cover the sharp claws for duller, points. Soft claws do not cause discomphort in any way to your cat, however they do need to be replaced as your cat naturally sheds her nails.

Feline Soft Claws CLS in Summer Colors - Grooming

I have used them in the past, they work well, are not permanent, and cause no discomfort for your cat. They are also cheaper...you can find them cheaper then what I posted, I just wanted you to see what they look like on a paw. ;)

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I did it once and would never do it again. I was pretty young and didn't really get how painful it would be. It completely changed my cat's personality making her timid and fearful of everyone except me and my roommate. And she bit more. Biting is their only defence so they will resort to that more.
And I realized it was all for nothing. She did her "scratching" on a plastic milk crate and the brick wall outside.
It is quite easy to train a young cat where to scratch. Have a scratching post in every area the cat goes. Sprinkle catnip on the post and rub it in. Bring your cat to the post (you may not need to with the catnip) and gently rub their paws on the post in a scratching motion while saying "scratch the post" and praise her. If you see her scratch the post on her own, praise her and give her a treat. I usually try to reinforce the words "good girl scratch the post". If she scratches anywhere else, immediately pick her up, take her to the post and help her scratch while saying "scratch the post". When you know she knows what it means (will do it if you tell her) and she scratches somewhere else, you can shake a can of rocks or coins. Again say "scratch the post".
You be in charge of trimming her nails monthly.
The rough play can make her into a very aggressive cat. Give your sister a toy on a string to play with her instead of her hand. Throw small soft balls for her to retrieve.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Soft Paws DO cause discomfort as they prevent the nails from retracting. I used them for my barn cat that wouldn't stop scratching wood furniture. By the time she became a house cat she was too used to doing whatever she wanted, including scratching the wood walls on the barn.

My friend used them on her cats when she stayed at her parents' place. She had me help her take them off. One of her cats was pretty depressed. As soon as we cut them off the cat was so happy and friendly. She felt so much better!

I don't like them but they are a better option than declawing. Last resort though after training.

Hrtofau2

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
Soft Paws DO cause discomfort as they prevent the nails from retracting. I used them for my barn cat that wouldn't stop scratching wood furniture. By the time she became a house cat she was too used to doing whatever she wanted, including scratching the wood walls on the barn.

My friend used them on her cats when she stayed at her parents' place. She had me help her take them off. One of her cats was pretty depressed. As soon as we cut them off the cat was so happy and friendly. She felt so much better!

I don't like them but they are a better option than declawing. Last resort though after training.

I used them on my boys and never had an issue. They didnt seem to notice them at all.

Parrot Examiner

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Beth Ralston
When I play with Leda, I watch her eyes. Her pupils get HUGE right before a pounce. Every cat I've ever seen does this. Knowing body language (just like with birds) is a great help. You wouldn't remove the beak of your birds for biting while playing, so why would it be fair to remove a cat's claws?
On top of that, I worked at a vet clinic and the vet's didn't like to declaw either. They gave the owner an informative packet on why not to declaw the cat and gave them a week or so to reconsider. The packet had a bit of info stating that there is a tendon that runs from their toes to the shoulder, and the best way to stretch it, is to "pick" at the carpet, scratching post, furniture, (basically whatever the cat is scratching). Declawing, they said, would contribute to leg and shoulder problems later.
Add to that, it's an open wound in their feet, which is in contact with everything, including the litter box. The risk of infection is far higher. It's painful for several days at the very least, for the cat. I've seen some cats become very foul tempered after being declawed, as if they resented that a piece of them was missing.
Hope some of this can help :hug8:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I never declawed any of the cats we had. One friend had her cat Suki, declawed, and the poor thing had paws that looked like boxing gloves at the ends of her legs; she also yowled when walking on them until the swelling subsided. I swore I'd never do that to any cat of mine. The other problem is that if your (declawed) cat gets out of the house its defense and survival chances are minimized; it'll have no chance of being able to climb a tree and its only defense will be the nails on its hind legs.

MsCreature

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shy
It actually is cutting off a piece of their body.

They literally cut off the first knuckle of the cat's toes.

Declawing a cat for scratching is like snipping off your child's fingers at the 3rd joint to stop them from biting their nails.

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
It's taking away everything that makes them a cat.

I trim my cats claws, just the needle like last millimetre once in a while and I make sure they have tons of scratching posts and pads to naturally maintain their claws.

Have you watched 'my cat from hell"? That guy, Jackson, has worked with cats for years and despises declawing. The only thing I've seem him recommend in extreme situations are temporary nail caps which fall off as the claw grows. He has tons of great ways to reduces scratches. Often its down to people playing with a cat in the wrong way, wrestling with them like a dog. Toys like the fishing rod types are great, as a cat gets to satisfy its hunting instinct, but there is a decent space between skin and cat.

Also, six months is still a kitten. Kittens are full of energy and learning boundaries. They settle down with age. They just need positive ways to burn up that energy.

Just Birds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ella
I agree with you! Declawing cats can lead to arthritis in their paws and legs in the future, and is just plain cruel.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
If you've ever seen the show My Cat From Hell, the man always talks about how declawing is bad. Maybe you could find an episode that talks about if for your parents to watch? Also, from watching the show, it can also lead to not using the litter box problems.....

tozie12

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
back in 1988 or 89 i had my two cats declawed and spayed at the same time. the 'norm' at the time was to only take the claws from their front paws, leaving the rear ones intact. when i got my two babies back i was horrified at their pain. and then when the bandages came off i realized the vet had completely cut off at least one toe of my lil Tigger's right paw. i was beside myself with guilt. i can still remember it well. and tho i no longer have cats, i am still very much against declawing. cats scratch. birds bite. dogs bark. these 'problem' behaviors in these companions we keep are all things we can learn to deal with. the behaviors are put there by nature herself.

MyAussieFriends

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa

just because they have somewhat extremist views doesnt mean all of the things they say are wrong. a fact is a fact no matter who says it. ;)
I agree. But since they are such an extremist group, many people won't take what they say seriously. I wouldn't use them as a source for an argument.