• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Deciding between a cockatiel and a sun...

Leafstem

Meeting neighbors
Alright, so I have a single GCC (have had him since Nov of 2015) and I am looking to get another bird. Currently I homeschool and only work three days a week, so my little conure is out for at least 7 hours most days. However, I am going to be starting 2-3 college courses in the fall as well as taking a math course at my highschool, so I won't be home as often as I am now--but he's allowed out of his cage any time I'm doing school work so he'll still get quite a bit of out-of-cage time, just not as much in the morning/afternoon.

That being said, I would like to get a potential companion for him. I'm not planning on them sharing cages (unless i find that they get along SUPER well), but I just want another bird for him to chatter with.

I originally planned on getting a lovebird, but decided against it because I'm worried I won't be able to give it the attention it'll need. So then I switched to the idea of a cockatiel, but now I'm considering a sun conure. But I want to get whichever species that will have a more likely chance of getting along with my current GCC. I know that every bird is different, but which species would you guys suggest I get?

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Tiels are pretty easy going, but I firmly advocate two cages. There's no guarantee they'll be friends. They might hate each other, but as long as you keep them apart at all times, even if they hate each other, the arrangement could work. Birds can take on a hate to another bird very quickly. You probably know that. So one could end up lonely anyway, if it is shunned by the other. Or one could like the other and the other could not exactly love the other bird, but could tolerate it.

The last example was my own experienced. I had two tiels. Sashimi, the cranky one, we had first. We adopted Snuggles for ourselves and as a friend for Sashimi. Sashimi did not exactly like Snuggles, but raised a huge fuss if they were separated. Separate cages, all the time. They were rarely more than six inches apart, but separated by the cage walls. Close but not dangerously close.

If you'll have them both out at the same time, never leave them unsupervised.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Suns can be very loud so can you & your family able to handle that?
Do you live in a place where a very loud bird will be tolerated? Also think about the future esp if you are young & have many places to live ahead of you. If you move having a loud bird could make it harder to find housing.

They all will need as much attention as a love bird.

Tiels are generally pretty easy going birds.

I guess you should get the bird you want as there is no definites the birds will get along even if you get another GCC.
I think I would not to try to choose a much bigger bird as it could injure your bird if you turned your back & there was an accident but even birds of same species can hurt each other.

Your GCC could be happy by himself as long as he still gets enough out time & you're home least half the day so I don't see it being a problem. Just put on some soft music for him when you're out.
They will play with there toys or nap.

Good Luck but do your research.

Last edited:

Leafstem

Meeting neighbors
Tiels are pretty easy going, but I firmly advocate two cages. There's no guarantee they'll be friends.
I will definitely have two separate cages for them.

Suns can be very loud so can you & your family able to handle that?
Do you live in a place where a very loud bird will be tolerated? Also think about the future esp if you are young & have many places to live ahead of you. If you move having a loud bird could make it harder to find housing.

They all will need as much attention as a love bird.

Tiels are generally pretty easy going birds.

I guess you should get the bird you want as there is no definites the birds will get along even if you get another GCC.
I think I would not to try to choose a much bigger bird as it could injure your bird if you turned your back & there was an accident but even birds of same species can hurt each other.

Your GCC could be happy by himself as long as he still gets enough out time & you're home least half the day so I don't see it being a problem. Just put on some soft music for him when you're out.
They will play with there toys or nap.

Good Luck but do your research.
I'm well aware of the possible disadvantages of getting a loud bird. However, my family is okay with the noise it could bring. I have four younger siblings who all love birds as well, so if I end up not being able to take my bird(s) with me when I leave home, I have several family members more than willing to look after them for me.

Sun conure is about as big as I'm willing to go at this point in life, and I don't plan on leaving the two unsupervised, even if I do decide on a tiel.

The issue I have with leaving my GCC alone for too long is the fact that he does not actually play with any of his toys. I've rotated them, bought him new ones, and he doesn't even touch them. He will just sit on his perches on stare out. I worry about him. He was a rescue so I don't know his past.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A buddy might at least give your GCC something else to stare at. :) At his prior home(s), he might have done the same. It's frustrating to see a bird not enjoy wonderful toys, isn't it? Not so much b/c of the expense, but moreso, the bird could have a bit of fun if (s)he tried the toy.

Leafstem

Meeting neighbors
A buddy might at least give your GCC something else to stare at. :) At his prior home(s), he might have done the same. It's frustrating to see a bird not enjoy wonderful toys, isn't it? Not so much b/c of the expense, but moreso, the bird could have a bit of fun if (s)he tried the toy.
Lol, yeah, a buddy to stare at as the least! And someone to chatter with if he wants some noise.
But it is frustrating that he won't play with his toys, simply because of the reason you listed above. I've tried playing with his toys and exaggerating excitement over them to try and get him interested, and he'll walk over usually and poke at it for a bit, but then lose interest after just a minute or two.

Leafstem

Meeting neighbors
How about another GCC? :)
I'm open to one! I would just prefer to have a little variety. :) But I do love GCCs (my cousin has one so I've been exposed to a few now)--which is actually why I thought it might be fun to get another type of conure over a cockatiel.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
My suggestion is a Conure at the same size. Then you give them the best chance for being friends because they have the same body languish.
That being said, I would like to get a potential companion for him. I'm not planning on them sharing cages (unless i find that they get along SUPER well), but I just want another bird for him to chatter with.
I think he will be very happy. :) They will always have each other when you are not at home.
I have a male and female of same species but I don't ever think I dare to put them in the same cage. To big risk if something happens. I'm just happy that they can be out together and sharing food without a fight. :)

Sunday

Meeting neighbors
I'm partial to Sun conure, because I have one. Surprisingly not nearly as loud as people made them out to be, but maybe I just have a quiet sun? Our green cheek gets along really well with her. I will say that ours were both babies being introduced so that could definitely have impacted that. Tiels are super cute and easy going. Both have the potential to be loud though. Does anyone in your family have allergies? If so good with the conure. Have you looked into maroon bellies or black capped?

echobird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
I have three green cheeks. All are different mutations and have different personalities so it is a bit of variety in my opinion. My two girls, Echo and olive, get along very well and share a cage. When Echo was on her own she didn't play with her toys and was extremely Velcro. Now she's more I independent and goes through her shredable toys very fast. Olive has taught her a lot.
I vote another GCC:hehe: but go for what your heart is set on or whichever bird picks you!

Leafstem

Meeting neighbors
My suggestion is a Conure at the same size. Then you give them the best chance for being friends because they have the same body languish.

I think he will be very happy. :) They will always have each other when you are not at home.
I have a male and female of same species but I don't ever think I dare to put them in the same cage. To big risk if something happens. I'm just happy that they can be out together and sharing food without a fight. :)
That's a good point!

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for! I just don't want him to get bored and start to pluck or something, y'know?
But yeah, I think I'm definitely against cage sharing now. XD Just not worth the risk!

Leafstem

Meeting neighbors
I'm partial to Sun conure, because I have one. Surprisingly not nearly as loud as people made them out to be, but maybe I just have a quiet sun? Our green cheek gets along really well with her. I will say that ours were both babies being introduced so that could definitely have impacted that. Tiels are super cute and easy going. Both have the potential to be loud though. Does anyone in your family have allergies? If so good with the conure. Have you looked into maroon bellies or black capped?
I'm okay with a loud bird. Their noise is like music to my ears! But I actually found a sun conure that is about two years old that I'm planning on getting now. The current owner said (s)he (hasn't been DNA sexed) is only loud if you haven't paid attention to him/her in a while, which makes sense. But I'm excited to meet him/her!
But that's so awesome that your cheeks get along with your sun! It sounds so sweet!!
Actually, yes, my dad and 4-yr old sister are both severely allergic to horses and cats. I didn't even consider that they could have allergies to a cockatiel! But thanks for pointing that out!
I have checked into other conures, actually. The only issue is that they're not as common as GCC and Suns where I live. :/ With the sun I'm planning on getting, I already have to make a five hour trip (10 hours there and back). So it's just not really an option for me right now.

Leafstem

Meeting neighbors
I have three green cheeks. All are different mutations and have different personalities so it is a bit of variety in my opinion. My two girls, Echo and olive, get along very well and share a cage. When Echo was on her own she didn't play with her toys and was extremely Velcro. Now she's more I independent and goes through her shredable toys very fast. Olive has taught her a lot.
I vote another GCC:hehe: but go for what your heart is set on or whichever bird picks you!
Awwww you have three little angels?? That's so awesome!
But that's interesting that she didn't play with her toys until she got a companion. Maybe my Squirt just needs another little birdie to teach him. :)
Thank you so much on your input! I think I've decided on a sun conure though. I found very sweet one that I plan on getting, so I hope it works out! If not, I might just turn to another green cheek though. ;D

echobird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
I hope all goes well with the Sun! Post lots of pics when you get him or her.

brett s

Strolling the yard
I think a sunny will bond well with your green but from my experience please keep in mind the sunny may eventually bond with you or one of your family and it can be quite aggressive to any one else , this isn't always the case but of all the conures I feel the sunny is the most extreme , eg it will have the most personality , love , etc , but really is a bird that will be a big commitment in regards to how much it will take up your time , I really don't think the noise is a problem if your not in a unit and if they get on let them share a cage , they could be best of friends , good luck anyway . The sun conure is an amazing , intelligent little bird