• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dawn Antibacterial Dish Soap Helped Chotu to Stop Plucking

Status
Not open for further replies.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I've kinda been holding off posting this to see if it really was the Dawn, but I'm pretty sure it is.

When Chotu came to me he had plucked a bare ring around the base of his tail and up the right dorsal side by his preening gland.

I would walk in the bird room and there would be little feathers all over the floor almost everyday.

His skin was hot to the touch, very red and he smelled peculiar, a strong musky smell that I'd never smelled before.

You could just tell he was itchy, because he would stop what he was doing every 10 seconds dig around on his backside, shake his body and stamp his little feet, 10 seconds later he'd be at it again.

I took him to Dr. Harris in Miami and did a complete work up to the tune of $418 bucks but everything came back okay.

I tried, GSE, ACV, baby shampoo, clear water, Harrison's soother spray and the cream with no results.

Finally I washed his little butt with the Dawn. You could tell right away that something was different, he stopped digging and he didn't smell as strong.

(I also took the nutriberries out of their food to elimate peanuts, but he raids Trinkets cage and so it wasn't a good experiement.)

I have been washing his butt and upper back with the Dawn for about 4 weeks now on Sundays, Wednesday's and Fridays, and I can really tell the difference.

No feathers on the floor, no redness, minimal itchyness, he can play for long periods of time with out stopping to dig around, and no odor at all.

So far he's not had any adverse effects from the shampooing, however if I wait too long between washings he starts getting a little bit itchier.

I'm still not 100% sure it's the Dawn but I'm about 95% sure.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone would like to try it.

Ginger

Last edited:

piercesdesigns

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
OH! Please tell me what ratio of Dawn to water and how do you apply it? Also, do you rinse it??

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
Dawn is very good for several purposes. I always have it because we get alot of the wild birds getting into grease vats at restaurants. After fishing them out, we bath them in the Dawn and they are as good as new, and it does not harm them in any way.

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Wow, that's awesome! Who would've thought?

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
So perhaps he has some over producing oil glands or something?

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I think he has/had some kind of bacterial/fungal skin problem. Perhaps as a secondary issue. His was not behavioral... yet. The Dawn has an anitbacterial/antifungal ingredient so I think this is what helped him.

I don't know if it will help confirmed pluckers.

Debbie, I just ran my finger around the spout of the container and lathered him up pretty good. I also used warm water to make sure that it got rinsed off totally.

Ginger

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Debbie,

I would do a skin patch test before you soap him up all over. Pick a spot and wash that area for a week or so to see what his reaction will be.

Ginger

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Debbie,

I would do a skin patch test before you soap him up all over. Pick a spot and wash that area for a week or so to see what his reaction will be.

Ginger
I would try anything. My poor plucky ducky. He is in a "grow my feathers back" phase. I never know when I'll come home to a cage bottom filled.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Dawn is very good for several purposes. I always have it because we get alot of the wild birds getting into grease vats at restaurants. After fishing them out, we bath them in the Dawn and they are as good as new, and it does not harm them in any way.

are you using the original blue Dawn, Cindy or something else?

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
I have a friend that is a vet and she always telling people use dawn for your pet when they are really dirty:) She told me people waste so much money when Dawn is better and cheaper, but some people can't get over the fact that it is dish detergent :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
It's what they used to save the oil soaked birds, and may have to again soon...:(
That is great news Ginger!:hug8:

Lynne

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lynne
I am sooooo hoping it clears everything up for him Ginger :hug8:
I know your pain!
You know I'm going to try it on SqueakyPants! I hope it works because at this point we have nothing left to try. I know this is not a hormonal/behavior problem for Squeaky since he went in and out of his hormonal stage and we had a long cold winter and he has plenty to do to keep him busy.
The olny difference here is that it started on Squeaky's neck. The same beet red, somethings eating me alive itch.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
It's going in the mail today Lynn.

Ginger

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
This is pretty neat. I have to give Dawn a big thumbs up. When Squeeky jumped into a bowl of marinara he had it all over his feet and part of his body. The grease would not come off and when I used the Dawn it helped a lot. Should be a staple in everyones home.

Lynne

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lynne
Can you belive there is no Blue Dawn Antibaterial anywhere here to be found!!
I see the orange Dawn the one with bleach the one with no fragrance (which I use myself) I see the double strength and all the others.
:hug8::hug8::hug8:
I even called my mom and some friends to see if they had any.
The problem I had is it started on his neck and is now on his wings and tail but his whole little body gets so red and itchy like he is being eaten alive.
We wont go into the tests and everything else done :(

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Wow no blue Dawn huh?

Lynne

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lynne
No blue Dawn Antibacterial...Ginger is it the blue antibacterial or just the regular blue Dawn?

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
It is the blue antibacterial. I will take a photo of the bottle and post it when I get home. It has a little penguine on the bottle.

Ginger

Status
Not open for further replies.