• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Darwin is getting hormonal!

darwinparrot

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jacob
So Darwin is usually a pretty chill eclectus parrot. No biting or behavior problems. But as of the past 3 weeks he has taken up a love interest in my hands. He tries to feed them and rubs his vent on them. I have been trying to keep him in check but this usually results in attitude. Any advice for dialing back his hormones a bit? I've got two in my house right now that are hormonal. Him and the mini macaw I'm fostering.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You can try increasing his hours of darkness/sleep by 2 hours for a couple weeks.

darwinparrot

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jacob
I moved his cage out of the computer room in hopes that he will get a little less light at night in the bird room. I also made him a very dry chop this time so he's not eating mushy foods. He was very moody last night. When I tried to put him away for the night he tried stepping on top of his cage and when I stopped him he got really angry. He will be fine. This is our second year of hormone season. He will calm down after a month or two hopefully.

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I put up blackout drapes in their room. My ekki female seems to do better with the same bed time year round. Lack of sleep made her grouchy!

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Sergei rubs regurgitated food on my cheek a couple times a week. He likes to sit on my shoulder and watch tv before bed. If I have a bowl of popcorn and share some with him, he returns the favor. I've always heard that was his way of showing affection. He is the most gentle cuddly guy ever.