• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dare I go look.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

akijoy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
at a male ekkie that needs to be rehomed?!?!

When the opportunity was suggested to me, my immediate reply was that I really have no time for another bird in my life.

But I found myself thinking about it...and thinking..and thinking.

I am asking a lot of questions to the owner to see if I can tell if it will be a good fit or not.

I have such a great relationship with my two parrots now...and you all know how the dynamics of a new addition can change things. And the difficulties that can ensue if it doesn't work out as imagined. ANd he probably will find a wonderful home anyways...not in my small and busy home.

Dare I go and visit him? Needing some advice here...I mean, talk some sense into me!!!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Take a step back and evaluate what you have right now, pros and cons. Do you want to add to it? :hug5:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Our own flocks dynamics are always complicated. Keeping that balance is very important to me. I also feel that a skilled owner has a better chance at integrating a new bird into that flock no matter the past. Especially if we have a balanced, well adjusted flock.

This is all your decision my dear. I am on the fence. I would consider both not doing it and doing it. :confused:

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
LOL, I would go look too, haha, but then again, I have MBS!!

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
Take a step back and evaluate what you have right now, pros and cons. Do you want to add to it? :hug5:
Do you mean, do I want to add to the flock?
The cons list is infinitely longer than the pro list. The only thing on the pro list is that I've wanted a male ekkie for some time now, but it was more a dream, not reality.

:knockknock:
It wouldn't hurt to go look.
Looking = Getting probably. I have seen his picture, and he's gorgeous.

Our own flocks dynamics are always complicated. Keeping that balance is very important to me. I also feel that a skilled owner has a better chance at integrating a new bird into that flock no matter the past. Especially if we have a balanced, well adjusted flock.

This is all your decision my dear. I am on the fence. I would consider both not doing it and doing it. :confused:
What is your definition of a "skilled" owner?!?

I'm a bad person to ask...... I would go look:)

Vicki
I knew you would say that!

LOL, I would go look too, haha, but then again, I have MBS!!
What is MBS?

What would Sam and Goo think? :)
That's the unanswered question. The Goo is already resentful having to share me with Sam. Sam is okay with the world, so I'm guessing she would be fine. But if any of them really disliked the other, it would be disaster and cause anxiety for everyone.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
multiple bird syndrome = mbs

I would go look......and then think about it. Your gut will often tell you to do it or not.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
go look, you will know in your heart if it is meant to be

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Does the bird need a new home, sometimes when we know we are helping a bird the way we look at everything changes. Is he free - or is the current owner just trying to make monies.

Bird living in good conditions now?
Is this more of a rescue?

JudiNH

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
It kinda sounds like maybe you want him, but ***know*** its not really the best time right now? I would go with your head on this one, and maybe not so much with your heart....?

Djuna

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Debbie
I wouldn't go and look knowing you would more than likely take him home.

Two birds like Gertie and Sam are a lot of work, they take a huge amount of time and energy and adding another bird will ultimately take away some of their "Mummy time".

I agree with Judi, go with your head :hug8:

WenM

Real Name
Wendy
If you aren't sure you want to bring a bird - any bird - into your home just yet do not go look because you are right, unless the bird has major obvious problems, most of us would end up coming home with him and try to make it work - regrets or no regrets later.

I'm in your boat, Catalina Macaw + cage for $600, young family moving to apartment. I don't dare look, even though I know I always wanted one. No room for another Buick sized cage and my DH would not be happy with another macaw. This could change some day but I know if I looked at him, he would probably come home with me.

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
Thanks for all your input. You help me to put it all into perspective.

I absolutely should put my head over my heart. I saw the pictures, and of course, my heart melted. I know if I go look at it, I will end up bringing him home..even if he turns out to be dracula in disguise. I would find a way to work it out. But it would mean major sacrifices from Sam and Gert. He sounds like a wonderful bird, but sadly neglected because of family circumstances. I would have to go buy another cage...he's presently in one that's only 24 x 23, downsized from one that was 32 x 24 for some reason. She's had him since he was a baby, and he's 5. Sounds like he got tons of out time before, but no longer. Pretty much on an all seed diet, though she knows better and he used to get more fresh veggies and fruit. I don't quite understand that. I sure hope he finds a good home with someone willing to buy him a much larger cage and understands the dietary requirements. Sometimes they will just carry on the same as the way they have been living, thinking that's fine. She said he used to be clipped, but his wings have grown out and he doesn't come back on a recall. (this tells me he hasn't been out of the cage much) She said he used to talk alot, but not much anymore, and he screams for her when she's out of his sight. I feel bad for him. I can't imagine giving up a wonderful friend that you've had since a baby, but who am I to judge.

My daughters both gave me the thumbs down on this idea too.

The owner has been emailing me quite a bit. I feel bad turning it down after asking so many questions and all. Trying to stay strong and go with my head

Last edited:

Janie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jane
This is a tough one Monica. It sounds like you have decided against it so I won't put in my two-cents. I did want to comment that at least it sounds like the owner is being completely honest which is wonderful. The next owner will understand what they are starting with.

I have been in a similar situation with a LS2. The issues this bird has are so workable. It has ended up I believe I have convinced her to get help and work out the issues herself. But, man, was I tempted!

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
The one esp good thing about an Ekkie....it's not a Too.:lol:

Much more civil :)

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
Ultimately you will make the best decision for you and your family. I say that I will not bring any more into my house, but if a particular bird needed me and I felt a certain "feeling" about the situation I would take one in a minute. You do have to consider your existing flock and family, but what's one more.... just a little more love in the house!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
:knockknock:
It wouldn't hurt to go look.

MBS Coordinator!:cool1:

On a serious note. Do you have space? Time? Time to deal with flock anger/aggression/etc that may come with a new bird? Time and space to split yourselves up with 2 birds, and to deal with Quarantine? Are you financially stable? Are you able to buy enough toys for the new bird and contrinue to do so with current birds? Food? If he needs a new cage? Will buying a new cage, toys, perches upset your waller book and throw you off balance? Are you able to take him to the vet?

Many things to think about. Believe me, I have to think about them too as a special friend may come join my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.