• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Dante is a girl (pls read)

Hana Baig

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Hana Baig
So as you may know we got jewel as a companion for Dante because I'm no longer homeschooled and I felt bad for having Dante alone. So turned out they did the deed and Dante had an egg. I don't know if she had more eggs after because when I checked she hid them, and I didn't want to tamper with anything. My problem is, is that Dante has been breathing kind of heavily lately, she wouldn't have her beak open or anything, but you can see shes breathing kinda heavily. Also, she hasn't been eating, instead Jewel would feed her. Her poop seems normal which is a relief, but I don't know if this is normal behavior for a bird who gave birth, or something happened. Please help me.

That_Bird_Girl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Savannah
What types of birds are they? Some types of birds go through stress after giving birth. If this keeps up, you should probably go to the vet.

Hana Baig

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Hana Baig
What types of birds are they? Some types of birds go through stress after giving birth. If this keeps up, you should probably go to the vet.
Their both lovebirds, she seems fine perching on my finger or balancing on a perch, but I've been seeing that she has been having a hard time flying, she can only fly a short distance

That_Bird_Girl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Savannah
Hmmm, I'm so sorry, I'm not sure about those kinds. You should do some research. That may help. :unsure1:

That_Bird_Girl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Savannah
I suggest you go to the vet. Knowing she just had a egg this could be dangerous. I really hope she gets better soon!

Hana Baig

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Hana Baig
If anyone has any ideas if this is normal or not pls respond

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Tail bobbing is not a good sign, could be a lot of things like a repiratory infection. Dante is for sure female but she doesn’t have to have Made in order to lay an egg. Even single kept females lay eggs:) I would go for a check up. Things like this can go downhill quickly. She could also be egg bound Maybe? No experience with the latter but definitely a possibility I think.

Hana Baig

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Hana Baig
Tail bobbing is not a good sign, could be a lot of things like a repiratory infection. Dante is for sure female but she doesn’t have to have Made in order to lay an egg. Even single kept females lay eggs:) I would go for a check up. Things like this can go downhill quickly. She could also be egg bound Maybe? No experience with the latter but definitely a possibility I think.
Yeah I think it's egg binding but I'm still not sure

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
I'm just guessing here.......but since she just laid and egg and now she is having some heavier breathing, she might have another egg in there that she is having trouble getting out! So a vet trip is necessary........let us know how things are progressing.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
If you feel like she's struggling with another egg, you can take her in to a bathroom (I would put her in a travel cage so she doesn't move around a lot) and run some hot water. Let some steam build up in the room for several minutes.

Sometimes this helps loosen them up.

Hana Baig

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Hana Baig
Yeah, I’m gonna take her to the vet tomorrow after I’m out of school, and while I’m at school, my mom is going to keep her warm, see if that helps

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that Dante is not well. Hope things will be OK.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I have a similar problem with Julip but she already has compromised breathing. Poor thing can't fly, waddles like crazy too. I've been keeping her in her cage since I have a roomful of bratty birds. She had about 3 days between egg 1 and 2. Do you have any idea how many eggs or how far apart they are laid? You can also keep track of weights to determine what's going on. Weight will increase and then drop off.

Hana Baig

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Hana Baig
I have a similar problem with Julip but she already has compromised breathing. Poor thing can't fly, waddles like crazy too. I've been keeping her in her cage since I have a roomful of bratty birds. She had about 3 days between egg 1 and 2. Do you have any idea how many eggs or how far apart they are laid? You can also keep track of weights to determine what's going on. Weight will increase and then drop off.
Actually, she laid an egg this morning, so definitely not egg binding.