• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Daily Maintenance Diet Poll

What brand of pellets do you purchase?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
Please submit your votes from the poll choices provided!

Reactions: Ali

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
There’s only one brand there that I’m familiar with.... the other brands I use aren’t listed. So I’ll just keep an eye on what everyone else seems to use. :)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Purchase? All of them! :lol:

Actually get eaten?

Zupreem and Pretty Bird (not natural gold though)

ETA never heard of Sleek and Sassy

Last edited:

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
To those that buy multiple brands: select the 2 that are more widely accepted among your flock, or the brand that provided the smoothest transition to pellets.
To those that only use 1, or maybe none, of the brands listed: select the single brand you use(d), and/or the brands you have heard people rant and rave about.

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
If anyone is curious, these are the brands I use, ranked in order of personal preference:

TOPS Mini Pellets
Harrison's HP Super Fine
Roudybush Nibbles
Mazuri Small Bird
Lafeber's Daily Diet Parakeet
Higgins Intune Parakeet
Zupreem Fruitblend Small Bird
FM Brown's Tropical Carnival Parakeet

I am feeding a large flock of parakeets and decided to transition them to a more varied diet that included free-choice pellets, daily veggies/sprouts, dry/fresh grasses and dry seeds as forage/training/enrichment. I tried a wide range of pellets to see what I liked and what the birds would accept. I like the ingredients in TOPS pellets, since they are not primarily corn-based like most pellets. I like the long history of safe use for Harrison's and Roudybush. I got Intune, Zupreem, and Tropical Carnival to see if the birds enjoyed the variety of colors and fruit flavors (and added sugar), but they were not that interested.

In terms of acceptability, there was no clear winner. None of the pellets was uniformly loved or hated. All of them will get eaten as long as I hold back on offering seeds until the pellets have had a chance. They seemed to show the most interest in Mazuri, TOPS, and Harrison's, but the other pellets will get eaten (or at least ground down into a fine powder), given enough time.

I plan on slowly phase out most of the brands over the long term, but since the birds are willing to eat them, I figure I might as well finish off the open bags. At this point, I have various feeding stations set-up with three different pellet blends in my aviary as their base diet, so they can pick from all the available options - some birds seem to favor certain brands, but I need to watch them more closely to determine the "top" pellet.

I think the parakeets would probably vote for millet, if that was an option. :)

Of the listed brands, I also happen to offer Goldenfeast Australian Blend and Sleek & Sassy Garden Parakeet mix, but those are both primarily seeds, not pelleted feed.

SkyLark

Jogging around the block
I'm currently using Zupreem fruity, just converted Corky from Kaytee to Zupreem. Planning to mix Zupreem with Labrafer's (is that how you spell it?) later on.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My mistake on Pretty Bird - I thought the only line was Natural Gold.
They actually have a ton! They have a lot of species specific ones. Currently I'm feeding Daily Maintenance but want Ripley on the African if he keeps refusing the Harrison's High Potency because of the extra calcium, etc

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
My mistake on Pretty Bird - I thought the only line was Natural Gold.
So I don’t use the natural gold but I do use pretty bird- shall I tick that box too?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I think I will.
There is only two brand names there I use but they’re not necessarily the favourite or main ones. There’s one other brand I’ve used on that list but neither Burt or I liked it.