• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Curl crested on the way, but getting cold feet... help

Buttersquash

Meeting neighbors
Hello All,
I'm new to the forum and have learned quite a bit reading the helpful posts here about real-life owners' accounts about their aracaris. It's much more insightful than the general articles/online info I was reading (which is limited to begin with).

Very long story short, I had fallen madly in love with a Curl crested I met several months ago, did much research on them, and then put a deposit for a hand fed chick a few months ago. The chick will be weaned soon - in the next few weeks. I'm excited, but however, somehow I'm getting cold feet about getting one now and would love to hear more real-life accounts of what it's like to live with one. I've read many accounts of Green Aracaris on here, but would love to hear more about Curl Crested Aracaris if possible.

Two main reasons for my hesitation:
1. I also keep canaries, and have been reading more and more on this forum of their predatory nature. I have the ability to keep them in separate rooms if necessary, but is it really impossible to keep songbirds & a Curl crested in the same room? A few of my canaries are handtame and I like to let them out on occasion for free flying. Do I just have to make sure the Aracari is in his cage when I do that, or will that just drive him crazy to see/hear little canaries (potential food!) flying around him? Does anyone else successfully keep passerines with aracaris & have any advice? Is it just simply not possible?

2. Like most, due to work I am away most of the day (avg 40 hr workweek). One of the initial reasons I chose an aracari was due to what I had read on their less needy/demanding nature than most parrots & felt it would be a better fit. But now I'm wondering if it is really OK to have a Curl home by itself for that amount of time? I did read how they tend to be less active mid-day at least. Is that true for most owners here? How do others with similar schedules manage? Is providing plenty of toys, out-of-cage time when you are home, playing a radio, putting cage by a sunny window, etc. enough?

And sigh, of course, like most, I'm also wondering about the real level of messiness that one needs to accept when owning one of these guys. Actually, I did read one really helpful post here, on how UNMESSY they are, when you take certain tactics (e.g., chop up their fruit extra small, etc.) That gave me hope! lol.

Anyhow, thanks in advance for any comments anyone can provide! I kind of really need some reassurance that I'm not in over my head! ;)

phairat

Moving in
Real Name
Jonathan
Seconding this post in the biggest way!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I know nothing about Aracaris, but I do know that a person should never allow any birds with that difference in size loose at the same time. So you can mark that concern off your list. Your Aracari cannot be out with your canaries.

Most of the birds who belong to owners on this forum have an owner who works, at least part time. Your bird will do fine, if you do as you say in your post.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
If they were not allowed to be out at the same, but were allowed to be out while in the same room, my biggest concern would be the reach of an aracari's beak. If a canary landed on the aracari's cage, it would be very easy for the aracari to grab one of the canary's legs. If you will still be doing this, I would cover the areas of the aracari's cage that your canaries can perch on. A thin bed sheet would work. When the aracari, is out you will need to be more careful as aracaris are stronger birds.

One option that may help when the canaries are out, but not when the aracari is out, is to hang one of these from your ceiling to keep the canaries from flying too close to the aracari's cage: Magnetic Screen Door Heavy Duty Velcro and Magnets Sewn in 100% Guarantee Fits Door Openings UP TO 34" X 82" MAX Screen Size 36"X 83"- Retractable Door Closes Like Magic - Super Fine fly Mesh so No Bug or Mosquito - Instant Setup - Walk Through Curtain Hands Free - Hangs Off Door Frame With Super Strong Velcro - Wont Fall Apart Like As Seen On TV Magnetic Screen - - Amazon.com . The canaries will most likely not be able to push past the magnet strips to get near the aracari's cages, however an aracari might. I am not endorsing this specific netting, but am using it to show the type of item. I do not have one, so I can not give you a recommendation.

Matt

Buttersquash

Meeting neighbors
So appreciative of the responses thus far. Feeling a little less panicked now. lol.

REALLY good point Matt, about the aracari being able to grab a canary leg thru the bars, if they land on his cage. Geez... I got shivers just thinking about that happening. Canary legs are toothpicks, so very easily broken. Will be sure to cover the aracari cage with a sheet on top (also got some vinyl tablecloth, in anticipation of covering the inside of the cage with... yah, anticipating the mess! :)

Also, I don't mean to sound too negative in my trepidation. From what I have read and heard, an aracari is an amazing pet in all ways. The one that I had met in person which really blew me away, was not only ridiculously affectionate and bonded to its owner, but extremely friendly with strangers he never saw before (like me as well as my friend), while at the same time, when you put him away, he did not pine away or cry at all - just went about his own business. Then when you came by again, he was ready for some more petting and squeezing, all while making the most wonderful nickering noises.

Zuri

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Hi! I too am going to be welcoming a baby curl into my life in a couple of weeks! I posted an intro a while back in the introductions section of the forum, this is my first post here. So glad to know I'm not alone in getting nervous! Oddly enough I'm not as concerned about the mess as I am about living with a free flying friend. There are just so many things to think about in regards to bird proofing.

You are so lucky to have been able to meet a curl in person. I have had to live vicariously through other peoples opinions and experiences. Obviously I have been impresses with what I have read since I have made the decision to share my life with one. I will be eagerly watching this thread! :)

Naomi

Buttersquash

Meeting neighbors
Naomi -
Excited to hear you're also a fellow soon-to-be curl owner. No doubt about it, meeting a Curl in real life left a huge impression. I went from never seeing one before in my life (never even heard of them), to deciding to get one within just a few weeks thereafter. Prior to that, I was considering a parrot on and off for many years (had narrowed it down to Bronze wing pionus or electus) but decided against it. Anyhow the Curl I met, you can flip him over, handle him everywhere and just do things that you can't do to a parrot (most parrots would bite!). The owner even opened his beak and showed me his tongue - which is a strange, feathery thing - he just loved being handled and touched, but not in an overly dependent, clingy way.

I imagine a lot will have to do on the bird's own personality is and the socialization it gets, but I guess I saw what their potential can be - anyhow I think their natural tendencies are as such, since they are social birds in the wild.

I was nervous about free flying too. I've hand raised most of my canaries and as far as they're concerned, I've found that when you start them young & let them fly from the start, they get the layout of your room much better than one that is left in a cage until it's older. One thing I believe for sure: it definitely is good for their psychological/mental/physical being. They get a bit 'stale' when just left in their cages for days on end, even when roomy. Also, I let them outside in the sun when I can, which I will do for the Curl as well.

Let's keep in touch about our respective experiences! Please let me know if you wish to keep in touch via direct Email as well.

Susan

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
Hey Buttersquash, I'm glad to hear you are feeling better about your Curl! I have an Ivory-billed myself so I can't answer your more Curl-centric questions, but I did want to chime in a bit about your first two concerns with some of my own experiences.

My Ivory-billed Kevin gets along fabulously with my tiny parrotlet (obviously the size difference is less so than that of a Curl and canary), but his breeder often commented that he was one of his more cuddly and relaxed babies. I can say that I was also really worried when hearing that some people described an aracari's nature as "predatory" around small birds, but from my experience with Kevin, this trait is less predatory, more inquisitive, and applies to things the size of moths or smaller. Kevin is in no way aggressive towards Simon (often it's the other way around) and even lets Simon take pieces of fruit from his beak if he's holding still (seriously it's the cutest thing). So whether your Curl will get along with smaller birds I think may depend on it's particular disposition. Obviously, better safe than sorry in the beginning but it should be apparent early on what end of the spectrum your bird falls on.

The number of hours you work should be fine; as you already know, aracaris are wonderfully independent and can occupy themselves for hours with favorite toys and a large enough cage. Until just a week ago I was a full time student, spending most of my days (even weekends) in class/the library/or at work. When I'm home Kevin's cage doors are open at all times (until bedtime) and so he has free range of the apartment. He comes and goes from his cage in spurts, and entertains himself with the toys in his cage, by flying laps, or by investigating the tops of dressers, desks, the bed, etc. He doesn't seem to care for a radio (though I will leave it on for Simon) and neither does he watch things from his window. I think your Curl should be fine in a similar situation, with you giving it the socialization time that you have available. Kevin in particular only comes to me or my bf for one-on-one time maybe a couple times a day, leading me to believe that he is content occupying himself and getting into mischief alone. :p

Finally, the messiness is real, but you quickly learn to suck it up and deal with it. Kevin is barely potty trained, as he is not very food motivated. He poops often (~every 15-20 mins), on EVERYTHING, and has a wonderful habit of walking through it when he's done. All I can really do is 1) contain as much in the cage as possible 2) keep tissues/cleaner within easy reach and 3) try to put him back in his cage every so often so he can do his business in an appropriate area.

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
Your cabinets will not be safe!
Even if you curl is in cage if one lands on it it will grab
They are lighting fast
They are messy as they poop out as much as they eat.
Mine love attention and love but is very territorial over his area(not to people) but to anything else
That being said Elliott is the most enchanting creature I have ever interacted with

Zuri

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Susan-
I grew up with an Umbrella cockatoo and bird sat a lovely Goffins for 6 months for a friend going over seas. I adored the hands on interaction that I shared with my too's, but also knew that the dust, noise level and panache for destruction was not something I wanted. I too researched the BW Pionus and SI Eclectus, however knew that both of these birds would, for the most part, appreciate sitting next to you rather than on you. My need for tactile interaction just wouldn't be fair to them. So, I really think I have found the right feathered friend for me.

While having a fully flighted bird makes me a bit anxious, I must admit that this is another plus for me. It always made me a little sad to see my birds climbing their cage bars and play stands with their feet and beaks and never using their wings as intended. I fully recognize the reasoning behind wing clipping, however, am looking forward to seeing a bird in flight. Even if that means I have to seriously step up my game in providing a bird safe environment. :)

I am planning to have a sun cage as well, but am also thinking about harness training. I have an email out to Hartman Aviary requesting information on appropriate size of Aviator Harness for a Curl. Their body shape is so different, I want to make sure I get the right size for safety purposes. I would love to hear about your cage set up, perch placement and toys. I did a lot of reading on here to get some ideas, but most were Green Aracari specific. So, I took a big guess on a lot of things.

Naomi

Buttersquash

Meeting neighbors
Thanks to all who posted.
Calpurnia: that must be ridiculously cute to see your parrotlet taking food from your aracari's beak! It is so wonderful to hear how these birds can have very different unique personalities, and also that the predatory tendency is not necessarily an issue in all of them. Nature vs. nuture is the balance I guess, as always. I'm also relieved to hear your comments about your Kevin, with regards to his independence and ability to entertain himself. That really helps. It's good to hear how these guys can adapt to the socialization time you have available, and not the other way around! lol.

I'm going to still keep an extra eye out with the canaries though...

Another thing I saw about the Curl I met which I thought was a plus: when I was approaching his cage, he immediately ran over to greet me, but when I put my hand up to the bars, he suddenly let out a squawk and flew off. I assumed he was fearful of strangers. But the owner came over and explained, he hasn't really seen gloves before (this was wintertime and I was wearing gloves). I took off one glove, and held my hands out to him, and he took a good look (he was still inquisitive, not overly fearful) and after a good inspection, he 'got over it' and came right over again without hesitation. Pretty cool bird.

Naomi: as far as my setup, for now I will have a smaller flight cage (24X36X60) in my first floor living room, which is where I'll put him for the first few weeks to socialize him so he can be in the thick of things. Down the road, I plan on getting a second larger flight cage (40X30X72) to be placed in a second floor bedroom, which is where I will put him whenever I'm not home, so he can be next to a window and get some unfiltered sunlight while I'm away. The Curl I met, was living in the 40X30 cage, which his owner recommended to me (it's an A&E 40x30 flight cage). My canaries are currently in my living room. I also have 1 cockatiel (turning 13 this year) which I keep in the second floor bedroom. So he'll have some avian company around! I still have to do some shopping for some perches, toys, etc. The owner was telling me how her Curl really beat on his stuffed animal toy.. that's pretty much all he had and he seemed very content. He did LOVE bathing, so unless a Curl can be allowed in the shower on a regular basis or something to that effect, I guess some type of bathing dish is important. I am going to take things one step at a time & take it slow, because in the past my tendency would be to overprepare and get things I end up never needing (how fun it is to buy for pets;) The harness from Hartman sounds awesome. I did try a type of harness on my cockatiel when he was younger, but he never acclimated to it. However maybe with an aracari it will be different!