• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Curious about Hormonal Male Macaws

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I am going to get him a hormone shot of some sort. I think Lupron is mainly for hens. I'd like a depo shot, which, unfortunately, my vet doesn't use. I need to find another vet in Ohio I'd trust (Lindstrom or Dahlhousen) that will administer that. I've been hoping he'd cycle out of it, but that's not the case. And I agree he does need a reboot; some of the behavior seems to be becoming habitual aggression rather than hormonal, but I'm not sure. We will explore a shot and see what happens.
Matthew, Lupron works great and is very safe for males. I used it on my Hahns male when we just couldn't break his hormone-related feather destructive behavior and he was starting mutilation. Had to do it two years in a row but this year a month into the FDB season seems much less so just watching and keeping all the other triggers at bay.
Lupron is a set of at least 2 shots no more than a couple weeks apart.
I would recommend the implant in your case because it works for a much longer period of time than the shot. Or maybe try a shot to see if there is an effect, then go to an implant. I bet there will be a difference. It's hard when some of those behaviors become habits so don't wait too long and I'm wishing for some good results for you.

Last edited:

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
@aooratrix
Hi, Matthew,
My little Joey has been doing the similar posturing and lunging and biting pretty hard lately.
I hope the vet can help Petey calm down.
Need to keep your Mum safe.
:bighug:

$arge

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rafael
@aooratrix I go to Dayton south vet clinic with Dr.Brauer. He’s pretty good I don’t know if he would do the lupron shot or not. He’s in Kettering Ohio.
My B/G does the habit hormonal FDB I may ask about this next time.

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
I am learning so much from all of you and I greatly appreciate how nonjudgmental people are on here as to how to handle things. Seems everyone here understands that we cannot replicate nature so we have to figure stuff out the best way we can raise and work with our parrots, and there are such differences in each bird even within its specie. I have frequented other forums and sometimes found it is their way or no way and are quick to point that out. So thank you, all of you, for being so informative, willing to help, and not judging.
sherri and larry

lexalayne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
Following - I hope the male you are having trouble with isn’t one of Barb’s.
About a year after I told u about my Capri male being a sweetheart he went into hormonal mode big time. He’s getting better now but still ... I wouldn’t mind looking into the shots or implants for him also. His “kiss me mama” turned into twisting my lip and he was so sweet. He’s the only bird I’ve seen this in and it’s hard. I’m pretty sure you got a female from her and my females are all good from her. I recently moved my male military into the macaw room and before I did he only liked men but now he’s much calmer and happier with me. Not much is known about him.

$arge

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rafael
So if I am to understand this correctly there’s the std wave of hormones and some “lucky” few get to be this “pleasant” for extra time beyond the waves?
Lucky me....lol

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
So if I am to understand this correctly there’s the std wave of hormones and some “lucky” few get to be this “pleasant” for extra time beyond the waves?
Lucky me....lol

Hopefully yours doesn’t go to extremes during puberty. And this is a good time to mention getting an older bird isn’t a bad idea. They’re usually through the hormones.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Chaos was postal for over a year. Maybe even two. He SLOWLY got better.

I also think some of it became habitual. Even now i am careful.

You must really be having a hard time. I know i did.

I feel for you.

$arge

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rafael

Hopefully yours doesn’t go to extremes during puberty. And this is a good time to mention getting an older bird isn’t a bad idea. They’re usually through the hormones.
Well mine is an adopted 18 yr old and too many head scratches and it triggers him! It’s over stimulation....
The joys.....

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Following - I hope the male you are having trouble with isn’t one of Barb’s.
About a year after I told u about my Capri male being a sweetheart he went into hormonal mode big time. He’s getting better now but still ... I wouldn’t mind looking into the shots or implants for him also. His “kiss me mama” turned into twisting my lip and he was so sweet. He’s the only bird I’ve seen this in and it’s hard. I’m pretty sure you got a female from her and my females are all good from her. I recently moved my male military into the macaw room and before I did he only liked men but now he’s much calmer and happier with me. Not much is known about him.

No, my capri from Barb is just fine. Beaky but fine. She likes to give those little pinches. Overall, she's a sweetheart and my best talking macaw. The problem bird is an 18 YO rehome male B&G. He's more than a handful.

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa

No, my capri from Barb is just fine. Beaky but fine. She likes to give those little pinches. Overall, she's a sweetheart and my best talking macaw. The problem bird is an 18 YO rehome male B&G. He's more than a handful.

Oh good! I’m glad she’s a sweetheart !

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
Koko, our B&G is 28 yo, our first hormonal season with him. He is nothing compared to what many of you have said, but he is 28. There is a marked difference in his behavior and we allow him many privileges as long as we can prevent injury or damage.

My thought is, in the wild he his life would be coming to a close, but in captivity and all the "improvements" and safety, these birds are living into their 80's. So now where does their breeding age and hormone flares end? Or do they? I would imagine that like about in any animal, it tends to be strongest around puberty and slowly decreases thereafter. However it is just thought here and nothing studied. Anyone??

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
OK. Food for thought. The beginning of this hormone surge season. Lighting and food. Being it is dark many hours here right now, we also have tried to make our home quiet and dark since the fall and it is lights out on the main floor where the birds are at 730pm. We hide in our bedroom until morning. No extra proteins during this time. The days are slightly longer now that we are past the solstice. (dec 21). Yes we know the sun has set long before 730pm, but otherwise we would have to be done with dinner and life in general by what..430-5pm? Anyway, was wondering if anyone has tried to increase their artificial lighting to try and get this hormone deal over faster?

And actually, the natural way of things in their natural land, the light does not differ near what it does here.

We will try the cucumber juice/water.

I would try more baths, but I just got Koko comfortable with bathing every couple of months. He was terrified of sprays and water dishes. I think he may have been disciplined that way for years.

Right now he has made a giant nest under and end table between a loveseat and chair, sneaks out to steal everything to take back to his new nest, chases anyone, human or dog, out of the living area if I am not there to intervene. I am still the loved one and he is waiting for me to lay an egg I think. He has stole a stuffed dog toy that he feeds and preens in the nest.

OH, I can't remember who, but someone asked about spaying and neutering birds and another person laughed about that. That is not so outrageous to think. Vets spay and neuter rats even. AND when I first took up raising chickens on the farm, I read there were people who surgically removed the male gonads on young roosters to produce a specialty fowl for chefs. It was simple enough the owners would make the surgical slit on the back below the ribs and remove the gonads and then allow the young rooster to become this desired specialty product. I doubt anyone does this anymore. And I am not suggesting to do that, just pointing out that it is not that far fetched. I like the idea of hormone injections better, if needed.

Sherri
(fyi Sherlar = Sherri / Larry)

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
I always thought puberty in macaws began when they can breed which can be fairly young. In marked contrast my Toos are 20-30 years old and they’ve always been easy. I thought it was because they came to me as adults. One is an ex breeder who refused a new mate when hers died. And I also thought my male Capri who previously was a snuggle bug was rejecting me because no one wants to mate with “mom”. I’m confused because most of you are talking about macaws in their late teens. And I know macaws and Toos are totally different, can’t compare apples to oranges. Help ?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I got my hank when he was 18/19 years old. He was a wild caught that had had one heck of a bad life. He would get hormonal and charge me and bite HARD, but that was all of the time and I attributed his viciousness to the abuse he had suffered for 10 years. When he was hormonal it was best to leave him alone as much as possible, but he could be handled, with care. When I got Jasper (three years after Hank) and they started living together and doing the dirty as they desired, neither of them would get hormonal enough to make any difference.

By the time Hank was 34 YO he never got hormonal, but who knows whether it was because he was dying (Carcigenic Thyroid Cancer) or whether it was his age.

Guess I'm not much help.

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
I got my hank when he was 18/19 years old. He was a wild caught that had had one heck of a bad life. He would get hormonal and charge me and bite HARD, but that was all of the time and I attributed his viciousness to the abuse he had suffered for 10 years. When he was hormonal it was best to leave him alone as much as possible, but he could be handled, with care. When I got Jasper (three years after Hank) and they started living together and doing the dirty as they desired, neither of them would get hormonal enough to make any difference.

By the time Hank was 34 YO he never got hormonal, but who knows whether it was because he was dying (Carcigenic Thyroid Cancer) or whether it was his age.

Guess I'm not much help.

Yes you are. It helps to know Hank had a bad past and it also helps to know he settled down after you got Jasper. Actually it helps a lot. My Capri is in a divided double macaw cage with my female Camelot. They can both move the divider but it’s only to check each other’s food out and now they don’t bother. He would probably be happier with one of my other females or males.

Last edited:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
An acquaintance of mine is a respected cockatoo breeder; she told me that she retires her birds to live out their days as "pensioners" around mid to late teens because they're done breeding, usually. Maybe cockatoos' reproductive (hormonal) lives are done at that point?

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
I always thought puberty in macaws began when they can breed which can be fairly young. In marked contrast my Toos are 20-30 years old and they’ve always been easy. I thought it was because they came to me as adults. One is an ex breeder who refused a new mate when hers died. And I also thought my male Capri who previously was a snuggle bug was rejecting me because no one wants to mate with “mom”. I’m confused because most of you are talking about macaws in their late teens. And I know macaws and Toos are totally different, can’t compare apples to oranges. Help ?
Sorry, per earlier posts we had discussed when we got Koko. This is our first hormone surge with our B&G who is 28 yo. I have no doubt he hit puberty before this age, but we did not own him so we are learning about HMMs now. Typically in the wild their lives are coming to an end about this age, but in captivity, they have been known to live into their 80s. Just wondering what other people with this age group of male macaws are experiencing and can suggest. And from what I am reading on here, just because a bird has gone through puberty, does not mean it will not have hormonal seasonal surges during the rest of its breeding years. I hope that clarified?

And Hankmacaw, that actually was helpful and I am sorry you lost him. I don't know bird statistics, but I believe something like 40% of dogs die from or with cancer. Staggering.

sherri

Last edited:

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
Hankmacaw, was Jasper a m or f? Just curious.
If it would settle Koko's hormonal surges, and if he (and hopefully the other bird) would still be as friendly and affectionate as he normally is, we would certainly consider adopting another bird.
We wouldn't want them successfully breeding however. If Jasper was a female, were any eggs produced from their pairings?
Also, was Jasper the same breed of macaw as Hank? Does the breed matter at all if both are macaws?
How did you transition the two birds to live together? Did they eventually share a cage, or only interact with each other when cages were open?
Sorry for all the questions, but we, of course, want our birds to be as happy and healthy as possible.
Most of our birds are rescues or rehomes, and giving another bird the chance at a good life is always an option with us.

Thanks.

Larry