• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Culture results not good for Breeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovebird Lady

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
You and Breeze are very much in my thoughts. Hope he is feeling better. How did the vet visit go? Sending healthy thoughts your way. Let us know how your're making out :grouphug:

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
Thinking of you & Breeze. :hug8:

Lexii

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexis
:hug8: from me and Ivy, for you and Breeze :heart:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hug8:Sending you lots of prayers

Jazzysmama

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Sorry I'm late getting to an update on Breeze, I had to take my son to work and get some things at Walmart. Breeze was totally different traveling there this week. He "knew" what was going to happen, he was determined that he was NOT going. He started spasming out when I put him in his carrier. Poor baby didn't forget the last visit. The whole way there he hid under the papers, all you could see was a little paper hump in the carrier, he never made a peep. I guess it was a case of, "if they can't find me, all's cool!" He gained one gram. :dance4: I spent the weekend trying to hand him warm foods constantly , he wouldn't eat it if I left it in his bowl. Then jazzy decided she wouldn't eat hers either if I didn't set there handing it to her piece by piece. :huh: Ornery little babies. We were the first appt. He said the psuedo bacteria was "heavy in the crop". He flushed out his crop with an antibiotic solution again and this time, when he pulled out the metal tube, out came long, slimy, stringy mucous. He said, "Oh we've got some sinus problems too!" It was such a white milky mucous. He put it on a slide as well. That didn't show up last flushing. There was no sign of Candida this time, the meds are working great on that. He had to flush his sinuses out which made him squeal in pain. One side was congested more than the other. I felt so sorry for him. I think it hurt me more than it hurt him. He has a vitamin A defiency. I read that a well bird doesn't usually get the psuedo. So I thought, okay, whats wrong with him to cause him to pick up the infection? This explains it, he said it would pull his resistance down and could cause him to get sick. When I read the symptoms on this several of them fit him. He has to go on vitamins for three to six months. He said, "You would not believe the birds I see come in here that have a vitamin defiency on pellet diets!!" :eek: I know pellets should never be a whole diet, which I agree with but he says he's seeing a huge amount of this happening with pellets. Breeze eats fruits, veggies and others foods but he can be very picky with them. He said the mineral in pellets stay consistent but the vitamans in them deplete as they sit over time after being manufactured. He has to finish up his cycle of candida med, finish up the cycle of antibiotic drops he was started on last week and he is also getting injections. Saying my prayers it kicks all the infection going on in him. After doing some work on Breeze , he gave him to me while he went back to the lab. Breeze hopped up on my shoulder, stuck his little chest out, stretched his head up high and told the vet, "Hey Boy!" Then proceeded to call him every little potty word in the book!:toofunny:He was soooo mad. He thought, mom will protect me so I'll chew him out while I can hide behind her! When he left the room again Breeze did his "evil devil laugh" at him as if to say, "how do you like that!" I left Braden out in the car with the dog, that way, he couldn't entice things with Breeze's mouth. Coming home he hid back under the papers and you never knew he there til we got back home. He's had his shot, night drops and is sound asleep. I'm the mean guy cause I'm the one giving the meds. As soon as the vet picked him up this visit, Breeze made it known he wasn't going to take it lying down this vist! He fought him and bit him good for pay backs. The vet said, "you don't like me today". Nope, he sure didn't.;) A very special thank you to the sweet angels that called before I arrived and made a donation on Breeze's vet account. I don't know what I would have done without you. You have such loving hearts.:heart: Your love for Breeze means the world to me. Sending you angels a HUGE :hug8:

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
Sounds like your vet is doing a great job staying on top of this. Poor Breeze. Vet visits are no fun!! I hope it is only up from here.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
So glad Breeze is improving!:heart:
You'll have him fixed up in no time!:hug8:

Jazzysmama

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Sounds like your vet is doing a great job staying on top of this. Poor Breeze. Vet visits are no fun!! I hope it is only up from here.
I do to, I hope this recovery is a speedy one, cause he gave me about 100 new gray hairs this week.

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
Well, this latest update was WELL worth the wait (you're forgiven for your delay - L.O.L). Thanks for the detailed description of events. It seems that Breeze has that fighting spirit that is undoubtedly going to pull him through this ordeal. It's just going to take time, and lots of lovin' from Mama as well as the hand-feeding. I wouldn't worry about you being the "Mean Guy"- I think that the vet has won that title hands down :rofl:

On a more serious note, I commend those "sweet angels" for their tender generosity towards sweet Breeze's vet account. It is heartwarming and enlightening to know that there are some big hearted souls on this Forum that would go that extra mile to dig deep into their pockets to assist another in need. My hats to you "sweet angels" out there. I am proud to share in this Forum with you....:heart:

Jazzysmama

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Well, this latest update was WELL worth the wait (you're forgiven for your delay - L.O.L). Thanks for the detailed description of events. It seems that Breeze has that fighting spirit that is undoubtedly going to pull him through this ordeal. It's just going to take time, and lots of lovin' from Mama as well as the hand-feeding. I wouldn't worry about you being the "Mean Guy"- I think that the vet has won that title hands down :rofl:

On a more serious note, I commend those "sweet angels" for their tender generosity towards sweet Breeze's vet account. It is heartwarming and enlightening to know that there are some big hearted souls on this Forum that would go that extra mile to dig deep into their pockets to assist another in need. My hats to you "sweet angels" out there. I am proud to share in this Forum with you....:heart:

Well said!:)

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
Yay! So glad to see this update. I was a bit worried when we hadn't heard anything from you.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Great news! So glad to hear your on the right path to recovery! Awful to hear about the pellets and the diet. Makes you wonder if you have to stop and rethink feeding even if you are diet strict. I still can't wrap my head on the shots you have to give. If I had to I would but the thought makes me cringe. Way to go parrot parront!

Oh and to the "little angels" this site makes miracles happen almost everyday, it's amazing to be a part of it!

Jazzysmama

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Yay! So glad to see this update. I was a bit worried when we hadn't heard anything from you.

I'm sorry Kristen, as soon as I walked in the door this evening it was total chaos before I could even set my purse down and get Breeze back in the cage. One was hollaring for dinner, my hubby was upset over a problem with his pay checks and needed me to find something for him at the snap of a finger. I wanted to turn around and walk back out the door. LOL. My youngest was supposed to be spending his day cleaning his room and I come home to find out he did nothing and was out running around with his girl friend.:mad: I had to laugh, he walked in the door and looked very surprised to see me so soon and said, "OH, you're home:eek:! Yep, he was busted. :hehe:

Jazzysmama

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Great news! So glad to hear your on the right path to recovery! Awful to hear about the pellets and the diet. Makes you wonder if you have to stop and rethink feeding even if you are diet strict. I still can't wrap my head on the shots you have to give. If I had to I would but the thought makes me cringe. Way to go parrot parront!

Oh and to the "little angels" this site makes miracles happen almost everyday, it's amazing to be a part of it!

Those shots hurt me worse than they hurt him cause he see's me coming and tries to run the other direction.:( That breaks my heart, I know he hates it and he didn't mind the drops at first, but now he fights it.

On the drive home I could not get my mind off of our pellet discussion. I thought to myself, "so do I need to rethink their diets with the pellets"? If they lose the important nutrients easily, which is the reason we buy them, for the nutrition they are supposed to contain, then I have to wonder if they are useless to feed? I'm sure they help to a degree, but is it a big enough one? Then I wondered if it is possible that the nutrients last longer is some brands rather than others? That would be interesting to know. If they lose their nutrients, then does this mean they would be no more beneficial than a pile of bird seed? This REALLY makes me rethink the whole diet thing.

carkam

Avenue Veteran
:eek: Scary!! My GCC won't eat much else!! Big Bird, eats BH and some fresh foods, along with some pellets. What does one do!! Glad Breeze is on the road to recovery!:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.