• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cues used for training

JulieAnn

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie Panasik
Hi,
I have Sun Conure that I've been working with on a cue. When he raises his wings I clap and praise and say Muscle, that is his cue word. I've been doing this for like six months now. He loves praise and every morning lifts his wings four or five times so I will praise him. Now I want to turn this around, but I don't know how. I want to say his cue word- Muscle and then have his lift his wings, but it doesn't work. Only on his terms. How can I get this turned around? Suggestions would be appreciated....

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Will he take any treats? It may be easier to say "Muscles!" as he's doing the behavior, then give a treat, if praise isn't working out so well. Over time, he may associate that when he hears the word "muscles", to raise his wings.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I am NO EXPERT trainer, but I got Boo-Boo to hop on cue using a word and a hand sign. He will now hop for the hand sign, on cue. Hes still not entirely happy with the word cue alone. He looks at me like WTH?

JulieAnn

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie Panasik
Will he take any treats? It may be easier to say "Muscles!" as he's doing the behavior, then give a treat, if praise isn't working out so well. Over time, he may associate that when he hears the word "muscles", to raise his wings.
Good idea I'll give that a go thanks