• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Crushing pellets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)

Some folks use the powder in birdie bread if it hasn't been out for a long time
That's what I use the powder from my fids bowls, for birdy bread. My fids do the same thing.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Yep the pellet dust in normal :) You can also take that dust and use it to make birdie bread out of it.

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
No, Im not doing straight pellets. Tayla was actually on straight seeds when I got her....BUT....the seeds were crappy seeds and she was sooo young, she should not have even been weaned yet and she was not eating or drinking right. She only weighed 55 grams the day I brought her home. It was actually easy to switch her to the pellets cus she could actually eat them. But I had to teach her that the pellets were food. I had to hand feed her, then I had to hold her bowl while she ate until she finally realized it was food in the bowl. Same with drinking, I had to start with a dropper, then wet my finger and let her lick finger, then hold water dish and let her drink then she finally knew it was water.
To make a very long story short. I threw those crappy seeds away and I have some new seeds ordered that should be here Saturday.
Wow Tayla was only 55 grams when you got her.. :( She's lucky she found a mommy like you.. :hug8: My Daisy was sold to me as a unweaned baby too so I used to give her oatmeal.. She loved it and still does.. Oh and my birdies make plenty of powder out of their pellets too so I just fill er up.. :D :heart:

2Birds3Kids

Walking the driveway
My ekkie used to do this. By the time she finished eating it looked like there was double the food in the bowl. She did it with nuts, pellets, seeds, everything. I asked the vet about it and he said not to worry about it. He said if she was crushing it, she was eating it too.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I recommend feeding only a small amount, enough for her to eat per feeding, so she does not waste. This is what I have to do with many of my 'toos or they would fling their pellets out of the food dish.

Status
Not open for further replies.