• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Critique Squeaks cage please!

birdienerd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
You can call me Birdie or J/Jay!
I will take any suggestions or favorite toy/perch suggestions from anyone else with goofy Green Cheeks.
Those “happy huts” or bird tents can be quite dangerous due to the material, same goes for the fabric perches/ the “boing”, The fibers may be ingested and could cause some serious internal issues, Plus happy huts can cause your bird to be more hormonal as its a dark and comfy corner perfect for nesting. Try swapping out the fabric perches for some natural wood perches!
Id also recommend changing out those plastic food things for stainless steel ones, Plastic has a tendency to just get yuck, it grows film & bacteria faster than any other bowl so youre left having to clean them more often, Metal ones are far better (and theres less chance of your birds picking them up/throwing them) Besides that this cage is fine, And you clearly love your birds :p ! Our current favourite parrot toy brand is Chipper Parrots; Chipper Parrots - Bird Toys and Supplies - Caring for Pet Parrots ; And of course, There are TONS of awesome brands here on AA, Made by bird owners for bird owners! I hope you find some you like, Happy birding!:D

LiveLolBrd

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Alana
My cheeky bird Kiwi loves bottlebrush perches and any natural wood perches with bark to peel of!
Any toy made with sola wood is her fav! Check out makeyourownbidtoys.com they have more than just toy parts they also have super cool toys!
I agree with @birdienerd and also that stuffed animal? I would take that out. They can get impaction if they ingest any of the fibers

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
How old is Squeak? I seem to recall he is a baby?

I would definitely bin the happy hut- they are bad news for ingestion and compaction, trapping toes/other body parts and they are also a huge trigger for hormones. Birds only need a good sized natural perch for sleeping.

I also personally would get rid of the cuttlebone (I do not like them so I do not buy them), they are germ city once they have been used a bit and sometimes even before. There are better sources of calcium and also beaks can be kept healthy by offering lots of wood to chew.

Common little bells like what are found on many pet shop toys are often a cause of bad beak or toe injury so many owners will suggest they be removed from all toys before offering the toy- I remove certain ones but as I know how my little (my big boys have well made unbreakable safe bells) one plays with the bells I am ok to leave some for a short while (they rust too fast for my liking so as much as my little guy loves some of them he does not always have them) but I have purchased him some safe bells but unfortunately he really does prefer the teeny unsafe ones... they fit beautifully on his head lmao.

Depending on what species Squeak is and how strong he is you may be best to replace the snap hooks you have used to hold the sea grass mat in place with some safe quick links, some birds can open them snap links then get stuck on and in them so best to use the quick links for hanging everything. My macaw found one of them horrid snap clips in some of my stuff he managed to find him self in :cautious: and pinched his tongue in it before I could get it off him :( I have seen horrible photos of other birds who were less fortunate than my macaw.

If the lower perch I see with white on half of it has been painted it will need to be removed- paint chips (even if not toxic) can and do cause impaction.

Make sure to inspect and check for any chewing or preening of the cotton perches you have- if your bird is chewing them then there is the possibility of impaction, toe/body part snagging and hanging are also common issues with cotton perches so a daily check over of them and snipping off any loose threads helps to reduce chances of danger.
I can not offer them to my macaw as he busts a heap of fibres then preens them into fluffy fibre clouds and my cocky needs to be watched with them so he only has them out of the cage and then I need to snip off the pulled threads after he has used them. My budgie does not get them as he has gotten his tiny nail tip caught in the cotton way too easy.

Hair ties are something I only let my guys near when I am supervising- I have had two of them get them over their heads lol

Each bird plays and interacts with things differently so you will need to learn what your bird is likely to find itself in trouble with and decide what you feel is safe enough to allow or not.

KParker24

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kasey
Those “happy huts” or bird tents can be quite dangerous due to the material, same goes for the fabric perches/ the “boing”, The fibers may be ingested and could cause some serious internal issues, Plus happy huts can cause your bird to be more hormonal as its a dark and comfy corner perfect for nesting. Try swapping out the fabric perches for some natural wood perches!
Id also recommend changing out those plastic food things for stainless steel ones, Plastic has a tendency to just get yuck, it grows film & bacteria faster than any other bowl so youre left having to clean them more often, Metal ones are far better (and theres less chance of your birds picking them up/throwing them) Besides that this cage is fine, And you clearly love your birds :p ! Our current favourite parrot toy brand is Chipper Parrots; Chipper Parrots - Bird Toys and Supplies - Caring for Pet Parrots ; And of course, There are TONS of awesome brands here on AA, Made by bird owners for bird owners! I hope you find some you like, Happy birding!:D
Thanks
So even for a baby the huts can cause hormonal issues? Because he is 8-9 weeks and does not sleep on a branch yet. He likes to lay down still like in a nest and without it he just curls up on the bottom of the cage. I figured we would phase it out with new things as he adjusted. There is a natural wood perch and more of those being ordered when I get paid again. We just upgraded from a small baby cage where he could only fit a few things, hence why I wanted tips on the set up of his big cage!!

KParker24

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kasey
My cheeky bird Kiwi loves bottlebrush perches and any natural wood perches with bark to peel of!
Any toy made with sola wood is her fav! Check out makeyourownbidtoys.com they have more than just toy parts they also have super cool toys!
I agree with @birdienerd and also that stuffed animal? I would take that out. They can get impaction if they ingest any of the fibers
Thanks for the tips! He likes his sola balls now he started out afraid of them.
the stuffed animal will be coming out, I was told to give him one when he got him since he wouldn’t have siblings to snuggle up to and was 5 weeks old and hand fed. He just moved from a tiny baby cage to this so I tried to keep the few familiar things he had.

KParker24

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kasey
How old is Squeak? I seem to recall he is a baby?

I would definitely bin the happy hut- they are bad news for ingestion and compaction, trapping toes/other body parts and they are also a huge trigger for hormones. Birds only need a good sized natural perch for sleeping.

I also personally would get rid of the cuttlebone (I do not like them so I do not buy them), they are germ city once they have been used a bit and sometimes even before. There are better sources of calcium and also beaks can be kept healthy by offering lots of wood to chew.

Common little bells like what are found on many pet shop toys are often a cause of bad beak or toe injury so many owners will suggest they be removed from all toys before offering the toy- I remove certain ones but as I know how my little (my big boys have well made unbreakable safe bells) one plays with the bells I am ok to leave some for a short while (they rust too fast for my liking so as much as my little guy loves some of them he does not always have them) but I have purchased him some safe bells but unfortunately he really does prefer the teeny unsafe ones... they fit beautifully on his head lmao.

Depending on what species Squeak is and how strong he is you may be best to replace the snap hooks you have used to hold the sea grass mat in place with some safe quick links, some birds can open them snap links then get stuck on and in them so best to use the quick links for hanging everything. My macaw found one of them horrid snap clips in some of my stuff he managed to find him self in :cautious: and pinched his tongue in it before I could get it off him :( I have seen horrible photos of other birds who were less fortunate than my macaw.

If the lower perch I see with white on half of it has been painted it will need to be removed- paint chips (even if not toxic) can and do cause impaction.

Make sure to inspect and check for any chewing or preening of the cotton perches you have- if your bird is chewing them then there is the possibility of impaction, toe/body part snagging and hanging are also common issues with cotton perches so a daily check over of them and snipping off any loose threads helps to reduce chances of danger.
I can not offer them to my macaw as he busts a heap of fibres then preens them into fluffy fibre clouds and my cocky needs to be watched with them so he only has them out of the cage and then I need to snip off the pulled threads after he has used them. My budgie does not get them as he has gotten his tiny nail tip caught in the cotton way too easy.

Hair ties are something I only let my guys near when I am supervising- I have had two of them get them over their heads lol

Each bird plays and interacts with things differently so you will need to learn what your bird is likely to find itself in trouble with and decide what you feel is safe enough to allow or not.
Ok trying to answer everything this was a long work but helpful!
Squeak is 8-9 weeks old.

So even as a baby worry about hormones? Because right now he will not sleep on a perch. He goes to sleep in that every night and without that he curls up on the cage floor with the stuffed animal. I have yet to see him sleep perched. In fact he gets angry and chirpy as he gets tired and will run around the bottom of his cage “complaining” until he finds a corner to curl up in or the hut. I figured we would phase it out. But I can go ahead and take it out now he just will sleep on the bottom curled up.

Thanks for info on the cuttlebone. I was honestly under the impression that every bird HAD to have them.

I can keep a close eye on the bells. I do plan on getting better toys I was stuck with what I could get locally at a store and have been saving a lot of you guys recommended websites to order some once I get paid. (I hate biweekly paychecks lol)

Squeak is Green Cheek Conure
I can definitely keep that in mind for the links, I didn’t think about that!

I’m not sure if the white perch is painted, I will look into that. It’s this one -
IMG_1575.png
the brown part is sandpaper part

I will watch the fiber perches close!
Thanks for taking the time to go over all of that!

Last edited:

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma

This is a brilliant alternative to the happy huts both my gcc have one and love it

sisal boings are better than cotton ones apparently safer none of mine chew so I have sisal ropes in my cage

basla wood sola wood basswood

seriously nuts and lil monsters have some amazing toys a lot you buy in pet shops are too hard wood to play with and chew

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
For rope perches I think it honestly depends on the bird. I have budgies. They do just fine with rope ring swings & boings from Oliver’s Garden & ordinary rope perches. When they were younger, I did cover/cut the tassels off.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Also flat perches are a massive hit with my gcc too

@Pixiebeak uses happy nuts hopefully she will come along and help

KParker24

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kasey

This is a brilliant alternative to the happy huts both my gcc have one and love it

sisal boings are better than cotton ones apparently safer none of mine chew so I have sisal ropes in my cage

basla wood sola wood basswood

seriously nuts and lil monsters have some amazing toys a lot you buy in pet shops are too hard wood to play with and chew
Thanks!
yeah I didn’t know if it was just a baby thing or a Green Cheek thing that he likes to sleep IN something vs perched.
I can get something like this then.
Yeah he destroys sola balls. Was waiting to get paid tomorrow and gonna do a better toy order!

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Thanks!
yeah I didn’t know if it was just a baby thing or a Green Cheek thing that he likes to sleep IN something vs perched.
I can get something like this then.
Yeah he destroys sola balls. Was waiting to get paid tomorrow and gonna do a better toy order!
Mine mostly sleep on perches but they do sleep in the tunnel sometimes too

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
All my birds love flat/platform perches! What country are you in?

The biggest worry about the rope perches and happy hut is preening and accidentally ingesting the fibers. Those can cause crop impaction and death. My green cheek had one and also managed to chew a thread loose; thankfully I was home because she was hanging upside down by her leg and was able to free her. Others aren't as lucky!

However I also agree that rope perches is very dependent on the bird. My Linnie chews them so he can't have them in his cage, while my Bourke's has no such inclination so far. My Jardine's does chew them a little, but he also has arthritis and needs a break from hard surfaces occasionally. So it's not a black and white issue.

If you're feeding pellets, the cuttlebone isn't really necessary. Some birds do like to chew on them so they can be enrichment, but I don't offer them at all.

What are the cage dimensions? Length/width particularly; height isn't really a concern, but it might be a bit narrow for a green cheek long term.

Otherwise I think all of my cages end up looking like a hot mess at first until I figure out my bird :lol:

KParker24

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kasey
All my birds love flat/platform perches! What country are you in?

The biggest worry about the rope perches and happy hut is preening and accidentally ingesting the fibers. Those can cause crop impaction and death. My green cheek had one and also managed to chew a thread loose; thankfully I was home because she was hanging upside down by her leg and was able to free her. Others aren't as lucky!

However I also agree that rope perches is very dependent on the bird. My Linnie chews them so he can't have them in his cage, while my Bourke's has no such inclination so far. My Jardine's does chew them a little, but he also has arthritis and needs a break from hard surfaces occasionally. So it's not a black and white issue.

If you're feeding pellets, the cuttlebone isn't really necessary. Some birds do like to chew on them so they can be enrichment, but I don't offer them at all.

What are the cage dimensions? Length/width particularly; height isn't really a concern, but it might be a bit narrow for a green cheek long term.

Otherwise I think all of my cages end up looking like a hot mess at first until I figure out my bird :lol:
I’m in the US!

I can get measurements when I get home. I’m not sure as a friend passed it on to us free, so it is not originally the cage I was going to buy and still may buy him a better one later!
He is also out for pretty long periods. Just in for about 8 hours while at work. Then out with us. So I can definitely upgrade a little later!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Then I shall throw my hat in the ring for perch options ;)

KParker24

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kasey
Then I shall throw my hat in the ring for perch options ;)

I have browsed your website but didn’t put it together with you on here! Well in that case since everyone here has been so helpful, when I get paid this weekend I will probably do an order! ☺☺

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I have browsed your website but didn’t put it together with you on here! Well in that case since everyone here has been so helpful, when I get paid this weekend I will probably do an order! ☺☺
Honestly don’t think you will be disappointed you probably won’t ever buy anything again from anywhere else @Mizzely and @Macawnutz have ruin birds toys forever for me nothing matches so I now have to suck up shipping :rofl: Because uk sucks :rofl: