• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

"Creative foraging systems"??

Status
Not open for further replies.

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
I bought the starter kit foraging boxes, the one that comes with the plastic thing to put the box into for hooking it on the cage.

Are you suppose to take the food bowl away so they go get the foraging food? I put his dry mix in it, he ate a little but didn't really go at it, hasn't torn any of the box yet either.
I'm just curious, I don't think you are suppose to take the food bowl away in case they starve themselves,
but I am wondering now if you do.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I have not tried that but I give my birds foraging options while having food in their bowls if he does not open any of the boxes display a treat part way in the box so he gets the idea just an idea :hug8:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
It may take a while....did you punch out those holes in the sides so he can see the food?

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
Yep I punched out the holes and made sure there was some food on the seed catchers on it

Tamara

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tamara R Money
Hmm... I wouldn't take away his food for more than a couple of hours after he's had maybe breakfast or the such. Then see if he goes for it if he won't touch it otherwise that is!

Last edited:

Kimba

Sprinting down the street
it helps to show him the treats you are putting in the box!

WenM

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Wendy
I bought them for my fids. Fiona doesn't even look at hers, but then never care for foraging anything.

Kota likes them very much and immediately works at them - I did make sure something was hanging out and let him see me poke an almond into a hole on it so he could go get it out.

Ray immediately destroyed the holder into pieces, dropped the unit on the floor and pooped on it. I do put the boxes in his plastic tote box underneath the river rocks so he can dig through and get the box to chew up. The holder is toast though.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
A bird who gets the same kind of food, in his food dish, has a less liekly chance of being motivated to forage.

I recommend only sticking pellets and fresh food in the food dish, and keep all seed, nuts, dried fruits, dried pasta, etc, in the foraging toys.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I hung it next to Ruby's dry food bowl in the cage. I mix in nut treats, paper, etc along with whatever foraging food I want her to eat and it seems to be working. I also don't refill it immediately. She's a better forager if it isn't available all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.