• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Craigslist is breaking my heart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big.Green.Chicken

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
I am going to visit my friend this weekend. I mentioned coming here and talking with everyone. She sent me her Craigslist listings, 5 amazons just today:omg:

There is a lilac crown that I guess is very old because he has a completely purple head, but also by the round cage he is in. It is an old antique from the 1950's. My Gran had plants in hers. He has toys and a toy stand though, or at least he did in 2006 when the photos were taken.

One especially broke my heart. It is a 25 year old BFA that has no blue but a yellow head. She is sitting in a wire cage with two branches chewing on her foot. Oh, and a bowl.

I wonder if she might have been a breeder. She is pretty big. The picture touched my heart because I felt so bad for her. They aren't asking much for her at all. Then again, my free bird sure wasn't "free":rolleyes:

I wonder how long amazon's are hormonal

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
zons are hormonal forever apparently but if anyone could take on a zon, it would be you.....

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I know you had wonderful experiences before with your 'zon :) I think its a great idea that you would consider bringing another home.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, there are always a lot of 'zons in the ads. :( There was a BFA here in my area recently for such a ridiculously low price I was worried about her. She wasn't very old, either, maybe 6 or 7... Since you have 'zon experience and so many people shy away from them, that might be a good way to go... :hug8:

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
YOu said in another thread that you need a bird with a certain personality, and one that can travel. I do think that having had an amazon that that certain personality and flexibility is really an amazon trait. You will be looking for it and only an amazon is an amazon.
I'm glad to see you are considering them again.
Some Amazons are more hormonal than others. You can certainly avoid the "hot 3". Females of the hot3 are much calmer than the males. It is also individual to each bird.
It happens, if they are really bad they play in the cage for a month.
There are tons of Amazons on CL here too. People who shouldn't have any bird certainly are not interested in figuring out how to live with them. Just breaks my heart to see these beautiful spirits unloved.

penguin

Avenue Veteran
I look at craigslist ads all the time, even though BF doesn't want any more birds. It breaks my heart too. I would have so many tiels by now if I caved to all of the ads I see. Don't worry, when you're ready for another, there will be plenty, unfortunately. I have a soft spot for Amazons too, I swear they think they're people!

platinum

Real Name
Sharon
If you're ready to start looking, I think a rehomed amazon would be great for you. :heart:

Vega

Real Name
Joni
Which ones are on the smaller size scale for an Amazon? I thought lilac crowned were, are there others?

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
yellow shoulder is but cant say yet as to hormones ,,lol im in for a
dose of it soon im sure dont kbow when they start but im ready
glad some think there human cause Mango is one of them,,lol
as for amazons in my book there great they give you plenty of warnings if you take time to read them .

they show you respect if you show them it but if you dont look out you will wish you had , as any one of them can realy do damage size dosent matter ,

glad your feeling sort of ready for a nother bird bet it will be an amazon
once bitten always bitten,,lol they sure leave there mark on you and im not talking bite

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
Oh you could take on a zon. I have to say mine is a lot of work but well worth it. Lots of time needed to keep them happy. But I do see a lot of people giving them up and it's sad.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I have a 34 (or so) year old White Fronted Amazon. He is awesome. He eats really well, takes to new cages really well, plays with his toys, all this after sitting in a small cage with seeds and tiny perches for 18 years. Yeah, I think Amazons are the way to go. I do not see behaviors that seemed to be hormonal from Merlin, who I have had for 1 1/2 years now. There was no "honeymoon period". He is and always has been who he is. He is honest and easy to read, he is loud only when he needs assistance. He is a gem. Get another amazon:) It's what you love:)

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If your heart wants another Zon,then I say go for it:)

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
That is the thing about CL ads, you may end up with 3 amazons :eek:
No kidding! When I went to get Chico back in 2004 after responding to his ad, the gentleman I got him from also had a blue front amazon he tried to get me to take as well.......amazons and conures are the birds I see most often on Craigslist around here.

Big.Green.Chicken

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
One amazon was gone

One was a breeder whose mate died of an incurable disease. They were not wasting any more money:mad:
I wasn't going to give them any.

One the owner decided to keep ::hooray!!!:::dance4:

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I'm happy you are looking :hug8:
Don't worry, there's somebody out there who needs you and is meant to be. :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.