• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Couple'a crazy days here

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Oof, where to even start. Bird live has been hectic;

Gomez and Tish both now have a clean bill of health. No signs of mites during a scraping, which is really good news, as my mom and I made a real sucky discovery in my current room. The wall's water damaged and needs to be torn down and replaced. There's basically a crack going from my basement all the way to my aunt's roof on the second floor. We moved some stuff out of the way and there's a huge crack. With a hole. On the plus side, I found out where Goku's been hiding to try and avoid bedtime.

Luckily, I'm swapping rooms with her, which is going to be great. She's agreed to also let me have a soon-to-be-empty room as a bird room. But that means cleaning, painting, scraping, ect ect. Which means all the birds are currently in the livingroom. She's also buying me a much larger cage for my birthday, which is gonna be amazing.

Now that the new buggers no longer have mites, I've introduced the two of them to Pikachu and Ripley and everyone's gotten along swimmingly. Tish put on a bit more weight, but mister Chu and Ripley got her to come out and zoom around willingly instead of just sitting at the food dish all day like a potato. They're basically flocking together and all went home together.

Unfortunately, Bull decided to attack his own stump again. I have no idea why, either. I heard an odd noise at two in the morning and went to investigate and he was coated in blood. He's been patched up and is healing, but I have no idea what caused him to hurt himself like that. The vet had no idea, either. I know it wasn't a fight as I heard him scrabbling around on the bottom of the cage and his buddy was sitting up in the attic looking terrified. His wings were clipped and he could not have gotten into a fight and gotten back up into the attic so fast without a speck of blood on him. This happened before I moved them into the livingroom. Vet said he might have had a night fright and done something to himself, but neither of us know. I've basically got to keep him calm and clean, which isn't easy considering he really doesn't like being handled.

Krem's also decided to move into the cage with Bull. He's been helping to take care of Bull and comfort him. It's actually pretty heartwarming to watch, since they always used to bicker a little.

Annnnnd Goku has a new best buddy. Got a text from the friend who gave me Steven. She's still looking for Stevie and the SPCA put her in contact with a different family who had found a bird that looked a lot like her. To make a long story short; it wasn't Stevie. They were keeping him in a closed recycling bin in the middle of a freaking heatwave that killed a ton of people and never sought medical attention for his broken toe. It's unfortunately healed wrong, but other than that and being severely underweight due entirely to a lack of food, he's good. After the vet checked him over and we got clean bloodwork, he joined the flock. Goku's still the big spoon, but he has a new little spoon.

I'm still waiting to see if anyone lost him. She's got my number and he has a file with the SPCA, and her contacts at perroquet secours have been notified.

Alllllllso my dog busted Krem and Freddie out of birdie jail this morning. He managed to knock over one of the attic feeders while whipping his toy around. I didn't realize that the food dish had been knocked out until I saw someone veeeeeeeeeeery cute and very white and fluffy scurrying along the floor and heard mom scream.

She thought he was a mouse for some reason.

Everyone's okay, but I am going to have to do something about those dishes, too.

:faint:

LSA

Real Name
Leslie

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Another episode in "As Garets World Turns" Well things happen & have to repair those walls & it seems in the end things will be better...
We already have a guy coming in this coming week. I'm just glad we noticed it before Goku found a spoon and started digging an escape tunnel...

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Annnnnd Goku has a new best buddy.

You put a new bird that is completely unfamiliar with your flock in with a bird that has known aggression issues..?

Please be careful with this. Just because you can bring another bird into your house doesn't mean you should.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
You put a new bird that is completely unfamiliar with your flock in with a bird that has known aggression issues..?

Please be careful with this. Just because you can bring another bird into your house doesn't mean you should.
I didn't just put him in. He had his own cage and had time to get to know Goku and the others.

I think Goku's issues were purely hormonal. Now that he has a shelf to sleep on instead of something to sleep in, he's not shown any issues.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I didn't just put him in. He had his own cage and had time to get to know Goku and the others.

For how long? New birds shouldn't even be in contact with your flock for weeks, and introductions should take just as long. You need to start following proper quarantine practices, or you're putting your entire flock at risk.

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
Whew! How do you manage with so many parrots? I would have my hands full with just one or two!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@Garet Yay! Amidst all the chaos you are GETTING MORE SPACE and a bigger cage. This is awesome news!

I have to agree with @painesgrey . You need to have a quarantine protocol and follow it diligently. You've gotten away with it (we hope) this far but something will wipe out your flock if you aren't careful. I know of someone here who lost 200 birds to an illness all within a week or 2.

I do this: Finchly's Quarantine Protocol - The Gouldian Gardens

Am I a bit overboard? Maybe. I'd rather be safe than sorry though!

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
Unfortunately, Bull decided to attack his own stump again. I have no idea why, either.
I wonder if birds can have phantom pains like people and dogs do. People get itches and pain where the limb used to be. Very frustrating because there is nothing there to scratch or soothe. He may be having phantom pains and attacking his stump because that's all that's there. I really don't know........just wondering.