• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Countdown to Chipper

Lupen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaitlyn
Aw he looks like a sweet heart. Can’t wait to hear more about him! And I wish you luck on the cockatoo rollercoaster LOL. I so badly want to rescue one myself but just don’t have the confidence that I could handle one of the big balls of fluff.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Thanks @Beasley ! I'm hoping to get him more feathered eventually! He became a bit of a picker when he came to the rescue, I'm sure the sudden loss of his family was hard for him!
I have a picker too. More so like a human nail biter. She snips off pieces of her fuzz. A feather forms, then she picks. It becomes fuzz. The little pieces she snips get chewed on to end up like little snow balls.

I have been home a few days. Took time off from work. Her picking the last few days is worse!

Why? I am home, she knows it. She picks less when I am not home. She resorts to this because she wants to be out When I can't watch her, because I am doing things, it has been worse.

Her water bowl yesterday!

20190914_102414.jpg

That's right, you see this. Her resort to doing something. This was the morning when this happened. I am not scaring you, but having the baby to care for and your other one, we can't be there constantly for these babies. Cockatoos if you are their Person they are insane until they can be with you in their sight.

I go back Tuesday, so this should subside. She was covered on her belly, now she has that line down the middle of almost nothing. :(

Last edited:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
This past Weds, happily munching on cauliflower.

20190911_163821.jpg

This morning

20190915_082735.jpg
She's now dozing in the kitchen. Screamed as the sun came up until I got her out of her cage.

All of them will be of like. Some a worse degree then others. Finding the balance within the routine will happen.

As JL said, it's definitely a ride! For us, celebrations of no picking, to a setback as of today. :(

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
@Love My Zons Poor fuzzy thing :( It just goes to show that sometimes, no amount of love or proper care can change their minds once they decide this will be their life. We're prepared for a vet visit to rule out medical issues, and maybe even for a life of plucking. I don't mind the look of it, of course, but it will be a large task to do what you all do and be vigilant about mutilation and infection. Fingers crossed we never have to cross that bridge...

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
@Love My Zons Poor fuzzy thing :( It just goes to show that sometimes, no amount of love or proper care can change their minds once they decide this will be their life. We're prepared for a vet visit to rule out medical issues, and maybe even for a life of plucking. I don't mind the look of it, of course, but it will be a large task to do what you all do and be vigilant about mutilation and infection. Fingers crossed we never have to cross that bridge...
I loved her when I saw her. She gravitated to us both. She's as sweet as the day we met her. It is the past behavior that is impossible to change.

I thought with both Toos, Jenny and her, I could fix it. I was prepared, they had endless toys at their disposal. Big, bright, clean cages. Vet care, the best foods, foraging opportunities, attention, out of cage time somedays all day.

Nope, it is something that cannot be fixed. A year later, here we are. It is an acceptance of who they are, what they will be.

I am happy to head back to work so she will stop the most recent destruction! Odd, being home you'd think she would be fine. Nope, worse because I'm here. And she cannot be left unattended at times.

Thankfully she is a mild picker, but it's still quite alot. Her water bowl this morning just within sunrise, within an hour plus tops until she started to scream for me before 8 am. :(

20190915_090912.jpg

Now I am heading out to clean the truck. So back in her cage she goes.

It's a sad life cycle, if I was home all day to sit with her, maybe she would have perfect feathers. But that isn't a reality of our lives right now.

I am not scaring you, just letting you know even doting, they will still have some behaviors you can never change.

Some will have triggers setting them off. Hers is sheer frustration to be with me when she can't. As I type this, she is comfortably sitting on my left arm content and happy.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
We will celebrate your new boy, and his wonderful new life he will have!

Enough about my little white fuzzy Girl. All are different, I hope he is the perfect Too for the entire Family.

Blessings!

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have to agree with the others, you look great...you both look so happy! I can't wait to get plenty of Chipper content :D As I can't have my own 'too I'll live vicariously through you! :lol:

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@Mockinbirdiva thank you! Natalie is SO MUCH easier than Ellen ever was, I am so thankful! Natalie failed her hearing test as a newborn, and has another test in a few weeks, so we'll see..If she's hard of hearing, she'll be the perfect child to have a Cockatoo in the house! :rolleyes:
I have a hearing impaired son. He's now 26 and thinks being born that way was one of the best thing that ever happened to him. He's aided and doesn't have any issues with speech or language.
He believes his hearing deficit strengthened his visual acuity, and that it helped him become a better pro baseball pitcher.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations! I hope Chipper is very happy with your family

I've taught hearing impaired undergraduates. One of them asked me to wear a microphone that connected to her headphones so she could hear me. Another was a skilled lip-reader so I just had to make sure that I faced her when I spoke. Both were excellent students who participated fully in class. There's a lot more possibilities for a Deaf or hearing impaired kid than ever before.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Congratulations! I hope Chipper is very happy with your family

I've taught hearing impaired undergraduates. One of them asked me to wear a microphone that connected to her headphones so she could hear me. Another was a skilled lip-reader so I just had to make sure that I faced her when I spoke. Both were excellent students who participated fully in class. There's a lot more possibilities for a Deaf or hearing impaired kid than ever before.

The auditory trainer was a lifesaver in the classroom!

Reactions: tka

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Who’s got a cage they love? I like the space of the flight cages but worry about the bars getting broken by a large bird..

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia