• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cost of prices going up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Has anyone noticed that some species (like the military and scarlet macaw) prices are a lot more this year. Especially for militaries. Last few years, military macaw handfed and weaned were average 600-800. This years its $1200. Scarlet macaw babes last year were average $1250 with some $1500 babies, this year its $1500 and also I saw a few $1600. I didn't look in other macaw or other species areas, but just thought I share this, thought it was interesting :)

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I noticed the Military cost go up. I have looked at prices just out of curiousity. Just 6 months ago I was seeing them for $900 and now I'm seeing them for $1200. I was just noticing that the other day actually. :p
I was wondering if it had to do with breeding seasons, perhaps they are more when born out of the breeding season and less when there are more around? :confused:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I think it is breeding season though. I think most breeders breed their macaws in spring and summer.

Karighan

Hit the Road
Real Name
Liz
It is. Mostly Blue and Golds, though.

The price for all birds has went up lately. GCCs around here roll $250-350.

Leza

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
yes!! weird right? greenwings went down for us (1800 to 1600), blue and golds went up (1200 to 1400) and we have a military on consignment(yeah, and older bird with an "adoption fee" :( ) for $900!! cause thats what they are worth now!!! :confused:

Sunnyside

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Janice
I have noticed, Mercedez. I am 'sort of' looking for another Scarlet and I was shocked to see a price of $1800 :eek:. That is pretty much what I paid for my MM2.

But hey, if you want a Cockatoo all you have to do is go to the end of my driveway and there is usually one in a cage by mailbox :(. Yes, someone dumped another Too on me :( She is a mess....

Karighan

Hit the Road
Real Name
Liz
I have noticed, Mercedez. I am 'sort of' looking for another Scarlet and I was shocked to see a price of $1800 :eek:. That is pretty much what I paid for my MM2.

But hey, if you want a Cockatoo all you have to do is go to the end of my driveway and there is usually one in a cage by mailbox :(. Yes, someone dumped another Too on me :( She is a mess....

o_O Holy crap, Janice!! What kind? What's happened to her!?

Sunnyside

Real Name
Janice
I don't know what kind she is. She is not an Umbrella, she is very very tiny and what made me so nervous was she is missing her feathers on her cheeks and it doesn't look like a mate plucked her. I could not allow her in my home, too risky :(. I drove her to a friends house and I will deal with her today, vets'. I don't think she is well, she looks very sick to me. She did drink and eat a little last night and she was handled because she did step up for me but my gut tells me something is seriously wrong with her.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thats awful,that poor baby :(.

Karighan

Hit the Road
Real Name
Liz
I don't know what kind she is. She is not an Umbrella, she is very very tiny and what made me so nervous was she is missing her feathers on her cheeks and it doesn't look like a mate plucked her. I could not allow her in my home, too risky :(. I drove her to a friends house and I will deal with her today, vets'. I don't think she is well, she looks very sick to me. She did drink and eat a little last night and she was handled because she did step up for me but my gut tells me something is seriously wrong with her.
Human beings are just horrible creatures. I hope she makes it.

Sunnyside

Real Name
Janice
I hope she makes it too. I have to figure out how to get me off the list "Dump it at Janice's house". This is the THIRD time!! When DH heard he told me to stop looking for a Scarlet and maybe someone will leave me one :rolleyes:. NO thanks!

Karighan

Hit the Road
Real Name
Liz
I hope she makes it too. I have to figure out how to get me off the list "Dump it at Janice's house". This is the THIRD time!! When DH heard he told me to stop looking for a Scarlet and maybe someone will leave me one :rolleyes:. NO thanks!
lol. That would be a sight. That poor baby. Be sure to get pictures of her. This makes me both so incredibly sad, and angry. Why can't people be responsible? It isn't hard to surrender an animal to the local shelter, if you aren't able to take care of it-- at least there, it will get the medical attention it needs. I wish I could just start slapping people, in these situations.:mad:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Costs are seriously down here. So sorry for the little Too Janice. Hope she will be ok.:hug8:

MacDaddie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Bob
Given this current economy, I find it ridiculous that breeders raise their prices! Also considering all the birds that are available for adoption, I wish some breeders would just stop for awhile and let those birds find good homes before bring more into the world.

MacDaddie

Real Name
Bob
Good luck with her, I admire your compassion and strength. Prayers for positive results and better days ahead for this bird.

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Here in FL the prices are always the cheapest of anywhere in the states. They have stayed pretty steady I saw a baby scarlet for $800 today. Blue and Golds for $500 unweaned (always unweaned here :(), militaries $500. All the same prices as usual! It is HARD not to buy babies when they are $500. I want to buy them all so they are properly weaned and fledged and then find good homes but I can't do that. I would end up on the show hoarders! :lol:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Wouldn't something be going on in the breeding community to make prices go up? Or do you think its the economy? FL FL FL.... I wish they would stop selling unweaned babies especially at such a young age!

Last edited:

DutchHillAviary

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kevin
Its simple economics...last couple years militarys brought such a little amount many quit breeding them..many breeders re-paired them to make hybrid babies b/c they still brought a decent amount of money. Now the militaries are getting harder to find hence the price is increasing. Pretty much the same with scarlets...they were really hard to sell about 2 yrs ago, many people stopped breeding them and started breeding hybrids b/c thats what was 'hot' then.

As far as breeders raising prices, consider a breeders food budget alone (not including things like perches, nest boxes, wiring, toys, and vet care), food prices alone have increased about 8% for me in the last year...just like any thing else..this is going to affect how I price my birds...I don't want to make the choice to take lessor care of my birds just so I can sell them for the same price (or less) every year.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I'm not against the price of parrots going up. It's the ones going down that is sad. I am happy they are up. It makes them seem pricey and hopefully only good homes and caring people are willing to fork the money over for them :) I do remember seeing so many breeding pairs of militaries last year...so sad they are split to hybrids...same with scarlets. I remember seeing pairs being sold a year and two ago... to be repaired and produce hybrids? Sad. Well GW prices are also going up a tad bit. And I know MM2 (major Mitchell cockatoo) prices are almost or over $3000. But many cockatoo prices are just way down low...

Status
Not open for further replies.