• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Convincing My Parents?

alcmene

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
ok @alcmene

BTW how do you like having a hyacinth? they seem like very interesting birds! its one of my dream birds. is she a good pet?
I love having a hyacinth. I adore her immeasurably. No, she is not a good pet. None of the XL macaws and cockatoos are, IMO. We do the best we can to make their lives as good as possible. But the truth is that they should never have been taken in to captivity (except maybe in zoos). My living room is a poor substitute for the rain forest. I love her with my whole heart and am so glad I get the opportunity to share my life with her. But I accept that EARTH SHATTERING LOUDNESS, chewed up furniture, chewed up molding, chewed up drywall, chewed up everything, astronomical food bills, astronomical vet bills, astronomical toy bills, constant emotional neediness, enormous amounts of mess.... and on and on, all of those things will be a part of my life every day until the day I die because I've chosen to make Tulip a part of my life. It's a weighty commitment. Even a small parrot is a big commitment. My sun conure will live around 30 years (or, put in other terms, almost double the amount of time I'll spend raising my children)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I love having a hyacinth. I adore her immeasurably. No, she is not a good pet. None of the XL macaws and cockatoos are, IMO. We do the best we can to make their lives as good as possible. But the truth is that they should never have been taken in to captivity (except maybe in zoos). My living room is a poor substitute for the rain forest. I love her with my whole heart and am so glad I get the opportunity to share my life with her. But I accept that EARTH SHATTERING LOUDNESS, chewed up furniture, chewed up molding, chewed up drywall, chewed up everything, astronomical food bills, astronomical vet bills, astronomical toy bills, constant emotional neediness, enormous amounts of mess.... and on and on, all of those things will be a part of my life every day until the day I die because I've chosen to make Tulip a part of my life. It's a weighty commitment. Even a small parrot is a big commitment. My sun conure will live around 30 years (or, put in other terms, almost double the amount of time I'll spend raising my children)

Absolutely. Owning a parrot is not a hobby. It is a lifestyle that we must embrace for the birds sake. :hug8:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Honestly, if I knew what I know now before I brought home a bird, I don't know that I would have gone through with it. It is one thing to read about birds and their habits and another thing completely to live it! They really are awful pets LOL

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Fly spray and insect repellant are both a no no as well. They're also a no no for people with aquariums. It's back to the old fashioned fly swat once you have birds and fish.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Fly spray and insect repellant are both a no no as well. They're also a no no for people with aquariums. It's back to the old fashioned fly swat once you have birds and fish.
Don't forget those indian meal pantry moths. They moved in around a year ago & I'm still battling them with fly paper & those hormone traps which supposedly catch males but are worthless as they've only caught about half a dozen. They slowed down in the winter & didn't see too many but they are coming back again. They have run amuck & are not coming from the bird food anymore & try as I may they are hanging on. I even had my favorite Pendleton wool shirt decimated by them. I never knew they could eat huge gaping holes in clothing like that.

I've given up but keep the bedroom door closed to keep them out but still found a few in there.
I hate those things as they make a brown stain when you swat them & now all my walls are messed up.

You just have to live with things the best you can with birds patching up walls & living with chewed woodwork & furniture. Yep been there too. My grandmothers dining room chairs have lots chew marks.
Never mind that its almost impossible to have a dust free home that doesn't have seeds somewhere.
He bathes & water splashes on the windows. I don't bother cleaning the windows as its safer for them
as perfectly clean windows are easier to fly into. I guess vinegar can safely clean windows but nothing is ever simple anymore...I hardly ever bake for fear of messing up the oven. If I do use the oven I've got to cover things with foil. Baking soda is pretty good on the oven if its not too baked on.

I guess I might have to wheel the cage outside one day & set off a fogger.

I live in an apartment & even a cockatiel can make enough noise to bother a neighbor.

You & your parents may have not had the pleasure of having a screaming bird in your life. It can be very disruptive & grounds for eviction. Everyone is trying to give you there best advice as many teens have come thru unaware as well as parents who were not able to care for the bird during college or became unwilling. Birds were left in cages all day to protect them from other pets & some had to be sent to sitters back & forth for years. These things are very hard for a bird & it could develop screaming problems or plucking making the situation more difficult. Sometimes it works out but sometimes it doesn't. You can't always rely on your parents as they could have life or living changes too. Sometimes we have to wait for the right time in life to take on responsibilities & not pass them off to parents. So it is vital you & your family is fully educated on bird care & it's responsibilities so that they are willing & able to care for the bird if you are unable to.

I could not have had a bird in my teens or college either. We had a family dog. Birds are just so specialized in there needs & environment. They just not a good pet for many people who have no time & are just going to leave them in the cage except for perhaps a pair of budgies in a flight cage.

Gosh I miss oven cleaners, candles, commercial cleaning products for kitchens & bathrooms, rug cleaners, window cleaners, perfumes or in your case after shave, weekend outings, vacations, hot air popcorn makers (still not sure if they are safe), some hairdryers, some toaster ovens, waffle irons, sandwich or Foreman's grills. Luckily I already had only stainless or past iron cookware but that is the easiest part to change. Even the choice of safe plants or decorations. I hope your parents are OK with phones, remotes, furniture & wall chewing too. Turn your back one minute & they are chomping down on Mom's favorite whatever or poop on the curtains & soon the situation may change.

Good Luck

Last edited:

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Don't get me wrong, I love my parrots and couldn't imagine being without them. For me, the positives far out weigh the negatives. But for some people, the negatives are too much. We just want to make sure you know both the good and the bad.