• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Converting to Pellets?

Sunny&Mars

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I give both my lovebirds a seed/pellet mix. After having someone who is more experienced with birds watch them for a couple of nights I realized that my feather picker, Sunny picks through the pellets for the seeds. I don't think he even eats the pellets. I am going to read this post - Converting Parrots to a Healthier Diet - Tips | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum and others on how to convert from seed to pellets, but I have some questions for other lovebird owners:

1. Should he be getting any seeds, or straight pellets. He won't even look at fruits or vegetables. I want to get over this hurdle then that will be my next thing I try.

2. How much food should he be getting a day? I think I have been giving way too much, so he will be able to eat a lot of seed in a day.

3. Any seed brand you recommend? The bird sitter recommends Goldenfeast.

4. Any advice/links on switching them?

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I personally dont do pellets for my birds. As long as the seed quality is good and he has a balanced diet with fruit and veggies and exercise there shouldn't be a problem. I usually suggest pellets if a bird is not getting the right nutrients, all pellet diets can cause kidney issues just as al seed diets can cause liver and kidney issues.

My mix is generally 40% canary seed, 20% cockatiel mix, 20% custom small exotic store blend and 20% oat groats. She has access to tops pellets but those usually end up in the water bowl. She gets fruits and veggies daily and sprouted seeds 3-4 days a week.

Sunny&Mars

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Sunny won't touch fruits and vegetables! I was doing a seed/pellet mix (hagen gourmet cockatiel/lovebird seed, tropican cockatiel/lovebird pellet and zupreem budgie pellet). I think he just ate the seeds though. I want to get actually eat the pellets (and some seed). Once that is done, then I'll try the fruits and vegetables....my new bird has a great diet! He eats everything!

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Sunny won't touch fruits and vegetables! I was doing a seed/pellet mix (hagen gourmet cockatiel/lovebird seed, tropican cockatiel/lovebird pellet and zupreem budgie pellet). I think he just ate the seeds though. I want to get actually eat the pellets (and some seed). Once that is done, then I'll try the fruits and vegetables....my new bird has a great diet! He eats everything!
Have you tried sprouting seeds?

Sunny&Mars

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I have tried, but not very hard. Again - Sunny had nothing to do with them, Mars (who likes everything) liked them.

I admit - I have to try harder with these things. I'm doing one step at a time. The plan is to get him to eat more pellets, then the fruit and vegetables, then the sprouts (if needed). Thing is I am a picky eater, my son got that from me and the bird from the both of us! LOL

BlueDoraBarry

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barry
I think you should convert him to pellets, then feed seeds and pellets in separate meals. I have pellets in her cage 24/7 and use seeds as my main treat for training and I also include it in her chop.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I have tried, but not very hard.
When Sunny goes to sleep, take all his food away. In the morning, present a plate of vegetables and sprouts to him (and pellets if you wish). Leave it a few hours (time varies depending on where you live - don´t leave bad food). Then later on, put the bowl of seeds back in.
Do this every day without fail for a week. He will come around sooner or later. The first few days may be wasting food so don´t put too much out.

Mine are in the routine of waking up, having a plate of fresh food, then flight time, then seeds in the afternoon/evening. I give sprouts maybe 4 times a week, they like the lentils.

Thing is I am a picky eater, my son got that from me and the bird from the both of us! LOL
I´m a picky eater too... my birds eat better than me! hehe

I don´t feed my birds pellets.
They get regular sunshine, veg, sprouted beans (lentils, mung...) / seeds, and a seeds mix - it has pellets in it but Syndey doesn´t eat them, and I don´t think Jaime does either.

Last edited:

Sunny&Mars

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thing is we are out of the house after about an hour of waking up. The only thing is if we wait until July when the kids are home from school to do this... as for sunshine we are in Canada, so outdoor time (in the cage) is from about May until September.....if we luck out some days in April as well.

Sunny&Mars

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I just find it confusing that so many people do things so differently. I'll listen to all advice and do what works best. I appreciate all the comments so far and those yet to come.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I just find it confusing that so many people do things so differently. I'll listen to all advice and do what works best. I appreciate all the comments so far and those yet to come.
Yes, I find it fascinating.
What works for one may not for another, or maybe it will. It is a case of trying everything until something clicks.
Other people handfeed new foods.
Plenty of different methods to try :)

I find sprouted seeds was a good place to start. Start by not letting the sprout grow too much, you can gradually alter that. It is what helped transition Sydney.