• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conures Conures Conures.....

Sassyjaygrl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jessica
OMG those babies are soooooooooo cute!! Ok so out of all the conures you raise what ones are the loudest in your opinion?? (probably the hungriest :lol:)

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
Oh, I'm very curious to see the oddly colored conure! :3

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Do you have any Blue Crowns by any chance? I know I shouldn't even be asking...

I loved the photos by the way, and it gave me something to smile about this morning.

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
Almost every stranger I run into who has birds, either got theirs from a pet store or another home that probably acquired the birds from a "not-so-well educated" establishment. I often find myself cringing because these bird owners know such little about the basics of parrot ownership such as proper diet, housing, enrichment, etc let alone the more complex aspects such as hormones and behaviour. I feel that if every breeder who sold their baby took the time to educate the potential owners about the PROPER care and necessary knowledge to living with parrots, we would have a much better educated general public, and probably less homeless, neglected birds as well. I am all for rehome birds, but I do also support responsible, educated breeders who will take the effort and time to spread their experience and knowledge, because in the end, the more we can educate, the more birds will benefit from this.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Love a breeder....they share their knowledge.

blackivory

Real Name
Chels
I think you are a genius J.Thomas

My manager sounds much like yourself. During breeding season she often has over 50 babies to hand raise. Most are sold through our bird store. She gets hardly any money for it and every cent goes back to the birds. She has two massive brooders, so her youngest babies are kept in the correct environment.

I'm a breeder on a tiny scale and hopefully have some baby Lovebirds and Derbyans later this year.

Ignore all the re-home/homeless rubbish.

I am only just reading this thread and very glad I have done so.

Can't wait to see the Blue Throats growing up.

moonchild

Avenue Veteran
Ignore all the re-home/homeless rubbish.
I don't agree that reality should be ignored or called "rubbish." :mad:
I do agree that some breeders are better than others, not all are created equal, and that this thread is not necessarily the place to start a debate. But I can't really blame people for being passionate about the subject.

Yes, I have bought a bird from a breeder, so I am not against it when it comes to harder to find species. But I completely understand why it would be shocking to someone involved in rescue, who has seen the pain and injustice firsthand, to see someone posting about single-handedly bringing hundreds (thousands?) of baby birds into the world, seemingly without a care. I guess you can say I see both sides.

kackels

Real Name
Kakie Currey
Why can't we all just get along? ..... You will always have breeders because people wants babies that they can raise and know their full personality, good and bad. Breeders help keep the species alive and going. Yes, finding a rehome is great, but that's just not everyone's cup of tea.
I see this forum as a well rounded forum, and to take away the breeders section would be discrimination. And that's not cool either. You will always have breeders and they should be able to feel free to post THIER cute pics just like everyone else, with out always getting slammed! Sometimes this starts to feel like high school all over again! I didn't like all the drama 25 yrs ago, and I still don't.

More pics please!!!! :)

moonchild

Avenue Veteran
Just to play devil's advocate, it goes both ways. :) If those staunchly in the anti-breeding camp are offended by something (such as this thread), and are supposed to just accept it in the name of getting along, then shouldn't breeders and those who support them be expected to be equally respectful of opposing opinions? Just saying.

Yes, it would be nice if we could all just get along. World peace would be nice, too. Sometimes it's too hard to tiptoe around and sugar-coat what you really want to say, when you have a strong opinion.

Ok I'm out. Cute baby conures.

tpoduje

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Todd
:slapfight::slapfight:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I bought Mera and brought her home at 9 weeks old. I saw her from day one. Her and her brother. The breeder left them with the parents until several weeks old. And handled them daily. By three weeks old we knew the sexes and I knew one was mine :heart: The breeder is an amazing awesome breeder. Verh good one! So we talked. A LOT. I called her daily. We'd talk an hour at a time! We agreed that the best time to ship Mera was when Mera was fully feathered. But unweaned. So we waited until she was 9 weeks old. And we shipped her. And I got her and finished handfeeding her.Why does everyone think that a breeder who SOMETIMES sells unweaned is a bad breeder? Why finish off handfeeding when someone just as competent can do it? I didn't ask the breeder to go lower on her asking price. I paid the full amount of $1250 plus the $130 of shipping. I didn't want a lower price. I knew this breeder is one of the best and $1250 weaned or unweaned was cheap coming from such a great breeder.A breeder who sells unweaned doesn't necessarily make it a bad breeder!

blackivory

Real Name
Chels
I don't agree that reality should be ignored or called "rubbish." :mad:
I do agree that some breeders are better than others, not all are created equal, and that this thread is not necessarily the place to start a debate. But I can't really blame people for being passionate about the subject.

Yes, I have bought a bird from a breeder, so I am not against it when it comes to harder to find species. But I completely understand why it would be shocking to someone involved in rescue, who has seen the pain and injustice firsthand, to see someone posting about single-handedly bringing hundreds (thousands?) of baby birds into the world, seemingly without a care. I guess you can say I see both sides.
I meant the re-homing rubbish in THIS thread. Geeze.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Yes, I did get chipper from a small time breeder. He in no way breeds in the hundreds of babies. I am not knocking breeders. I am disturbed about the high number of baby birds and the quality of early life they can have when there are so many. People have just miss understood my question so much I am very tired about responding now. I do not like walking on egg shells. I did not critize the breeder himself. There are no English Budgies for rescue. Believe me, I searched. I wish this issue would come to an end here so we can go forward. If you want to still drag this out than I have no choice other than leaving. I am finished here and wish this thread would be closed else we go on and on ad nauseum.

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
But why should the thread be closed? The breeder, Miss J.Thomas, may want to post more photos. This is the breeder section and everyone should get along.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm a small time breeder. At the moment I have one producing pair of amazons. And a pair of quakers and parrotlets that are capable of producing but aren't always successful. Last year I had two baby amazons and that was it. They were a pure joy and I believe they found really top notch homes. And I will keep in touch with both periodically for as long as I can.

Yesterday, I went to visit a recently rescued cockatiel. The bird was discovered by the petsitter in the basement with zero light when the owners went on vacation for 2 weeks. They got a petsitter for the dogs and cat but never told her about the 'tiel. She discovered it on accident and offered to take the bird. When I went to visit it, it had God only knows what caked all over its head, a very sharp keel bone, no down feathers, and ended up dying before the day was out with minimal handling. I took off those cloths before even getting in my house and went directly the shower for fear of passing on whatever that bird had. Although I suspect it was more the end result of a sucky life.

I will still breed birds. It took me almost a year to sell my second baby from 2012 and for that reason I don't breed a lot of birds. Some people are superficial that just want a bird. They aren't bad people toward other people or toward other animals. They just lack the ability to empathize with life forms that don't show emotion in the form of tears, wimpers or ways that humans or domestic animals do. They become annoyed with the mess and screams and out of sight means out of mind. It is the breeders job to weed out those people. And just because some people are like that or worse, doesn't mean the really good pet owners shouldn't be able to have a pet.

This isn't just the fault of a breeder producing birds and making a mistake on who they sell to. Its also the fault of the person who buys the bird and doesn't treat it as they should. Its a societal issue that goes back to the ethics we teach our children about quality of life and the value of life in all its forms. I wanted a hyacinth, so I went to a breeder. I wanted a galerita cockatoo, so I went to a breeder. If I decide the time is right for that TAG or the umbrella or moluccan I've always wanted, I'll go to a re-home. There is room in the world for both rescue and breeders. There is a place for both. The right thing to do is to teach good behavior and ethics and keep paying it forward. So that the societal problem is continually reduced in the next generation. Lots of people want birds, but many of those don't have the inner character to handle it long term after the shine wears off. These same people donate to charities, volunteer for their school. They just don't make good pet owners and lack the ability to self analyze. That is a behaviorial skill that can be taught to some extent. Although it does require some maturity before what is taught becomes a consistant behavior.

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thanks for that very thoughtful post Melissa.:cool:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
This section of the forum should not be a place where people have to fear to post, or take a beating if they do. People who are so vehement about breeding/breeders should just stay out. Stop coming in here and harassing people..really..enough already. We get that you do not like it. You not liking it and giving people a hard time about it is not going to make them stop. It does not make you look any better than how you view the people you are putting down. I suggest you spend time in another area of the forum where you might actually do something positive.

Last edited: