• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure Weaning?

A.V

Moving in
Hello,
I have a 2 month old green cheek conure, and am trying to initiate the weaning process. We continue to syringe feed 3 times a day, and he is already nibbling at foods from the floor. He is being exposed to many different fruits and veggies, and even eating from a bowl in his cage. However he is already begining to eat less during the feedings, rejecting the syringe before consuming his usual dose. How can we begin to further diminish these feedings to most effectively transition to solid food?
Would greatly appreciate any insight, thanks!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Let him set the pace. Most don't totally wean until at least 3 months, with some going as long as 6. Abundance weaning results in the happiest birds.

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Each bird is different. My Green Cheek started to peck at berries and things I would offer him at about 8 weeks. I discovered he loves raspberries. I started putting little dishes of seed and pellets in his cage at around 6 weeks. Each day he was less and less interested in the formula and more interested in solid foods. He still wanted me to take him out and go through the motion of feeding him, but he would barely eat half of what he had the week before. He was eating a full 10 ML syringe 3 times a day. One day he barely took half of it. The next morning day he squawked to be fed, but had only about a quarter of it before he hopped away. That was the last hand feeding and he's been eating on his own ever since.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
You are doing everything right. You could probably cut out the midday feeding and offer some warm, easy to eat food in a dish at that time instead (pellets soaked in a little warm water or juice, mashed sweet potato, baby food veggies, oatmeal, really anything healthy that he likes). Of course, go back to offering a handfeeding if he begs.

You can also cut back on the amount you offer at the other feedings, often they will be more likely to try their weaning foods after getting a few bites of formula. By 8-9 weeks, he should be able to feed himself if he has to; the continued handfeedings are so he feels comfort and security, which is important. But sometimes they just want a few bites of formula to feel reassured that you are there for them, and then decide the 'real' food tastes better.

Again, keep offering formula if he begs for it, and keep track of his weight. He's probably fledging now, so a small amount of weight loss is normal as he starts to fly.