• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

conure sounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

cecilou

Meeting neighbors
Hi! I'd love to know what other conure people think the various sounds their birds make mean. Here is a list of Mini's (maroon bellied conure) common sounds and what I think he's telling me.

Beak grinding - happy & sleepy

"SQUIDGET" (that's what it sounds like) - HELLO!!!!

squidget (same but less loud) - oh, its you...

chipchipgurglechipchip- gets louder and higher - playful sound

Jungle bird sound (hard to describe, only happens when the vacuum is out, extension cords are out, or I'm folding the white load of laundry) - GET THAT AWAY FROM ME!

CHIP CHIP CHIP (perfect imitation of a dying smoke detector) - GET ME OUT OF THIS CAGE!!!

and the new one - sounds like a combo of a cough/honk/bark - I don't know what this means. Mini does it in the morning and I'm starting to think it means he's hungry.

Mini also makes little kissy sounds and tongue clucking sounds, imitates my laugh (sounds like a duck more than a laugh) and says Minibird and hello.

I'd love to know what others think.

Cecily

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
would love to see a video of Mini talking and making her happy noises, she sounds like a sweetie :)

dorn27

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kristi
Kupo honks, similar to water fowl I suppose. It's something she learned after coming here.

She goes *honk honk* really soft in my ear when she is REALLY happy.

Sunny 'sneezes' exactly like my husband. But, he doesn't sneeze normal, he sorta cough-sneezes. It's the weirdest sound. He has a normal cough though... Sunny does this when she is tired or when she's gotten up to early and we cover her up for a early morning sleep in snuggle. (I never actually go to sleep with my birds and I think sleeping with birds is very dangerous! But we like lay in bed with them and be lazy while they nap if they've gotten up before we're ready to rise on our days off!)

I love how I can tell what their noises and screams mean. I know which ones mean "Hey get me out of this cage" and which ones me "OMG I'm so glad your home.... get me out of this cage!" the ones that mean "I'm scared" the ones that mean "I'm a bird and I like to scream for fun!" the ones that mean "WARNING WARNING!"

I also love how they talk in their sloppy chatter to each other, the cats and into the food bowls.

Yesterday Sunny was eating her mash and telling it to "Hello. Step up" followed by her extra cute and squeaky "up UP!" I wasn't sure if she was just talking for fun or really wanted her food to step up into her beak! LOL

Flahmingo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barbara
Chili is not a good talker. He says:

Hello...............when the phone rings or someone dials out

Whatever............usually after laughing

Mostly, he has sounds for different things. He says "sparrots" a lot and we can't figure out what it means

When I ask if he wants to go nite-nite he makes a special sound, kind of a ooooatt

I'm trying to get him to say I love you when I put him down for the night.......he's trying, but right now it's just a "awwww offf oooo"

He also makes a pinging sound when we are eating and he wants to taste the food.

Basically, he's a dork:D

cecilou

Meeting neighbors
I caught Mini 'honking' today - any thoughts? is he just making a new sounds to get my attention or should I be worried?

Last edited:

crazyanimal

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Delta
My maroon belly makes the sound in the video but that is a sound of scared or I don't want to. It sounds to me as though he doesn't want to go back in the cage. My guy does it when I towel him to do his nails.

Even my dog knows what it means, she came running to the computer. LOL

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Ella:

Low, sporadic scream: Get me out of here!
Loud, high-pitched sporadic scream: YOU'RE HOME! (DADDY! DADDYDADDY! PAY ATTENTION TO ME!!!!COME TO THE CAGE!!!) Get me out of here!
Unbroken shrill scream: Where is my dinner?!?!??! or GET AWAY FROM MY CAGE CAT. I WILL END YOU!
Strange, gurgled scream: Pay attention to me! Do as I say!
Wheewhoowhoo: I love you :)
Little Chirps: She does this when she is singing along with me, or dancing. Her favorite tune right now is Seize the Day from The Newsies :)

Archie:
Unbroken Scream: ALERT! ALARM!
Broken Scream: Everything else

:p

cecilou

Meeting neighbors
Thank you Thank you Thank you! It is really good to know that this is a "normal" conure sound! I wonder why Mini didn't make it for 9 years?

Now I just have to figure out how not to reward it :)

cecilou

Meeting neighbors
update - spoke to our avian vet today after sending him the video I made. He said that birds can inhale pellet dust, especially if they have to dip low down into a crock to get them - and that it could be the reason Mini is 'honking'. He suggested I put the pellets in a shallow dish - and to pay attention for a few weeks to see if he keeps making the noise when eating pellets. If so he said I should bring him in - but if all other behavior is normal then Mini is probably just trying to get attention.

Whew!!! How can such a little minibird be such a handful??? :D

crazyanimal

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Delta
I am not a vet and don't want to say the vet is wrong but that sound does not sound like it has anything to do with pellet dust. The moment he tried to put him in the cage, he made the sound. I've heard this sound quite often with my maroon belly and even my green cheek used to make the exact same sound when I did their nails. It is "I don't want to" sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.