• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure quacking

Naomi1295

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Naomi
Hello! So recently my boyfriend and I have been getting some new noises out of Zelda (our GCC), and trying to figure out what they mean. One noise in particular that she’s done since we got her a few weeks ago is the low “quacking” noise. She does it all the time.

I decided to look it up to see what it meant, and apparently they do it when they’re in “mild distress”, which concerns me considering how much she does it.

I’m just wondering if there’s any other meaning behind the noise? She does it when she’s fluffed up, when she’s sleeping, when she’s with me, when she’s not with me, etc... Basically, like I said before, all the time. So it’s hard to believe she’s always in mild distress.

Thoughts?

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
My gcc makes a soft eh, eh, eh noise a lot. I think it might be the same quacking noise you describe. I don't think it's a distressed signal at all. You know how pigs make that grunting noise all the time. I think it's something like that. Just a birdie noise.

Naomi1295

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Naomi
My gcc makes a soft eh, eh, eh noise a lot. I think it might be the same quacking noise you describe. I don't think it's a distressed signal at all. You know how pigs make that grunting noise all the time. I think it's something like that. Just a birdie noise.
Yes! It's the little "eh, eh, eh" noise! It's so cute and I figured it wasn't a noise of distress. Thank you!

MeganC

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
Mine conures make a noise like that too. Definitely not a distress noise when they make it.

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Duckie got her name because for the first year of her life with me, all she did was "quack". Sounded exactly like a little duck. She almost never does that now, as she has learned to communicate in English, and uses that mostly.

Heather F

My green-cheeked conure quacks. My blue-throated conure clucks. All I need now is something that goes moo.

There is a grumbly quacky noise that many happy relaxed greenies make, and there is a kind of low trilling purr sound that is a "mild warning" noise like "I heard something strange and I am nervous/uncertain about it." (Both my birds make that one, in fact they pass it to each other, if one of them makes it the other will pass on the "warning" too.) The two sounds aren't actually hard to tell apart, but they are both kind of quacky and it's hard to describe the difference between them. You probably read about the "something just made me nervous" noise but what you're actually hearing is the happy relaxed cheekie noise.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Rupert has similar-ish sounding noises. His general happy state includes lots of grumbly-sounding "weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" (which is something we do back at eachother), especially when he's eating/snacking. If it's a really tasty treat, he will make a slurp! coupled with smacking noises. If he's scared, his posture totally changes and he makes a chirpy cry. It's very obvious when something's spooked him.

Of course, as soon as any time I try to record his noises, he clams up. :rolleyes:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
It sounded like a little froggy croaking when Koopa did it. Definitely not a distress thing :)
That's a good way to describe it!

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
My GCC sometimes give me new noises and I have no idea where they come from. One sounds like a tennis shoe squeaking on a tile floor. She also make a noise that sounds like a finger snap. I recently took in a blue crown as a rescue. She quacks like a duck, and growls like a dog.

Naomi1295

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Naomi
Thanks everyone! I just wanted to confirm my thoughts. Zelda's "quacks" do sound like a tennis shoe against the floor or a frog croaking. I know when she's angry she makes a different "eh" noise - it's a lower "quack", and it's usually if I'm trying to handle her when she's just woken up (she's grumpy in the morning).

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
I was told by someone that it is an "intrigued" sound - kind of like "this is new" or "I am not sure where this is going but I am interested to find out!"