• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure behavior; My first conure

Nestum

Meeting neighbors
I've bought a lovely green cheek conure yesterday! I don't know the gender yet, I should know this week, but either way I've decided to call him Romeo, so I'll be using he/him for now.

He's not 2 months old yet, but he's fully weaned, although he's clearly still a baby, his tail feathers are still not fully grown and he's very clumsy with his way around 5he cage and even food. Still has a hard time breaking some seeds but is getting used to it. Absolutely loves veggies

I've never had a conure before, I've only had cockatiels so I'm unsure about some behaviors. He's still very quiet, probably because of his age or maybe cause he's still shy, but does chatter and let out a screech sometimes. I'm letting him get adapted first, he doesn't really like leaving the cage and sometimes is still hesitant to let us pet him, although I can see hes very cuddly.

He has eaten A LOT today. And when he was not eating he was chilling/napping. He did clown around a bit, exploring the new toys and hanging upside down, he also flew around a bit and went for a bath in his water bowl (he absolutely LOVES water). He weights 65g which I think is normal taking into account his size and his droppings look healthy, but I wonder if the amount of sleep he's taking is normal... Could be the stress of the new surroundings but I'm not too sure. I've spoken to a friend of mine who's a vet and he told me that I shouldn't worry but I wanted to see if there's some more experienced conure owners who could give me some insight

Thanks in advance and here's some pics!

Attachments

Nestum

Meeting neighbors
I've bought a lovely green cheek conure yesterday! I don't know the gender yet, I should know this week, but either way I've decided to call him Romeo, so I'll be using he/him for now.

He's not 2 months old yet, but he's fully weaned, although he's clearly still a baby, his tail feathers are still not fully grown and he's very clumsy with his way around the cage and even food. Absolutely loves veggies.

I've never had a conure before, I've only had cockatiels so I'm unsure about some behaviors. He's still very quiet, probably because of his age or maybe cause he's still shy, but does chatter and let out a screech sometimes. I'm letting him get adapted first, he doesn't really like leaving the cage and sometimes is still hesitant to let us pet him, although I can see he's very cuddly.

He has eaten A LOT today. And when he was not eating he was chilling/napping. He did clown around a bit, exploring the new toys and hanging upside down, he also flew around a bit and went for a bath in his water bowl (he absolutely LOVES water). He weights 65g which I think is normal taking into account his size and his droppings look healthy, but I wonder if the amount of sleep he's taking is normal... Could be the stress of the new surroundings but I'm not too sure. I've spoken to a friend of mine who's a vet and he told me that I shouldn't worry but I wanted to see if there's some more experienced conure owners who could give me some insight

Here's a pic btw!

IMG_20200301_132910.jpg

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
My gcc dozes off and on throughout the day.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Young conures are often pretty hard on their tail feathers, so they often are all shredded at the tips. I don't think I really notice my conure napping, but I'm sure he does! He also plays pretty hard throughout the day, he's really vocal about it. He was also really quiet as a baby. I'm sure as your little one adjusts he'll be more active and chatty. Conures have really funny voices, very squeaky, it's really cute! Congrats on your new addition!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Awww baby cheekie! I love him or her. Give it some time for him to settle. Mine nap off and on. But a quiet place at night to give him a good nights rest is important. Cheekies are all individual so you’ll figure out what his normal is...studious and quiet or in your face and animated. Congrats!

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Congrats on your new baby!:cheer::starshower: Jenks will also nap off and on during the day. He dozed off just sitting in my hand the other day. He ruffled his feathered self and took a snooze like he owned the place. :lol:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
At eight weeks yes... he's still a baby and will sleep a good bit. He's been taken away from an environment he's familiar with and put into a new cage, new home, new people, sounds so he will be hesitant to be touched. Give him time to adjust and spend some time talking to him so he can get used to your voice. I take it he is fully flighted ( wing not clipped since you said he flew around). Being able to fly is important for his physical and mental being so I would allow him to keep those flights and time to fly in a safe environment ( do you have other pets in the home?). If he is younger than eight weeks as you say he may regress a bit and want some formula if the seed hulls are too hard for him to eat. Are you planning on getting him a pelleted diet as well? If so, ( which I recommend) you can soak some pellets ( I personally feed Zupreem, roudybush and Harrisons) and serve those in a separate dish to see how much he eats. You might also bake some sweet potato and give him some of that with the soaked pellets. Discard those soaked pellets after an hour if they aren't all eaten to prevent him from eating a food source that will grow bacteria after a certain amount of time. As well, at his age he is learning how to climb and use his legs since he's been in a nest box or brooder for his first weeks of life. He's cute! And...... don't be surprised if you find him sleeping on the bottom of his cage..... completely normal for young green cheeks and a bit scary to see them sleep on their backs.

Astro sleeping.JPG

Shelli

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Shelly
Sure. Awe, baby green cheeks. All I can think of is how Bagel begged to be fed and latched onto my cheek when we first met. I should have known it was a sign of things to come....

Yea, I think he sounds normal. :) Bagel napped a lot when he first came home. Come to think of it he reminded me a lot of a little puppy.. nap, wake up, poop, eat, poop, play, poop, nap... rinse and repeat.